Author Topic: Danger at Follyfoot!  (Read 9594 times)

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
Re: NEW STORY - Danger at Follyfoot!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
Earlier, when Slugger had been about to take the letter away, Dora had abruptly called out to him that it was best if she kept the letter instead for Steve. Slugger (with his usual mutterings) had graciously relented of course- and now suddenly, the letter was miracuously within Hazel's grasp- who mischievously decided this was worth more than her curiosity could ever handle! Slowly and delibrately she began to read it out to Dora.......   

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
"Now STOP right there Hazel." said Dora, "It's addressed to Steve and I'll make sure he's the first to see it."  Hazel looked crossly at Dora.  "He read your letter once, remember?" she said slyly.  Dora snatched the letter from Hazel and looked at her sternly.  "We are not reading this before Steve - understand?"  Hazel threw the ripped envelope at Dora and stormed out of the house.  Dora watched her run towards the stables, wondering why Hazel was so upset.  Surely she knew that Dora would not have let her read the letter?  Dora retrieved the screwed up envelope from the floor and put the letter inside as best she could.  She sellotaped it down and decided that she had better take the letter to Steve straight away... before even she became tempted to read it.

Slugger peeped his head around the door of Steve's room.  He had been moved from intensive care and put in a side room on one of the wards.  "Sluggs!" Steve's face beamed when he saw his friend.  "Ow are ya son?" asked Slugger, a bit surprised at how well he did look.  "Oh, I'm fine now.  They're thinking of letting me go home in a couple of days - if there's someone to look after me, they said."  He said it with a smile, knowing full well that Slugger and Dora would spoil him rotten.  "That's good, that's good." said Slugger, sitting on a chair beside the bed.  Steve looked at Slugger, his face more serious and said "You saved my life Sluggs."  Slugger smiled "It's what anyone would have done." he said quietly.  Steve smiled back knowing that wasn't true.  "Thanks" he said simply but his voice was full of emotion. 

Slugger broke the short silence which had fell between them.  "By the way, a letter came for you - Dora's bringing it later."  A letter, thought Steve.  "It's got a Liverpool postmark so it might be from your mum."  Slugger continued.  Steve was worried now.  His mum only ever wrote to him if she was in trouble!      

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
Dora slumped down in the chair beside Steves bed. She was so tired. The death of Copper, the state of the farm buildings, her worry about Steve and now this wretched letter burning a hole in her pocket. It was all getting too much for her.

Steve put his hand under her chin and gently pulled her head up. He saw the lines of worry etched into her face and the tears welling up.

"Hey, come on girl. No more tears! I'm on the mend now. We'll soon have the farm sorted out." He tactfully didn't speak of Copper.

"Steve, there's this...." and she pulled out the crumpled envelope, thrusting it into his hand.

"I'm sorry it's been opened, Hazel was being nosey. I didn't look at it, honest."

Steve pulled out the letter and read it. His face giving nothing away. But Dora could see in his eyes that he was deeply concerned...

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
A distinct sound of a motorcycle engine once more returned to Follyfoot farm.....it was Ron who earlier had warned his mate, Lewis that Dora was on her way to confront him over the terrible fire that nearly killed Steve but had instead killed two of her beloved horses-one of them being Copper Prince. As he gradually rode up towards the farm gate- ready to 'knock it away' via his Tiger cub's front wheel (the Colonel had warned Ron many times to stop it -whilst Hazel instead loved Ron's 'unique way' of entering the farm!)- he thought to himself, why hadn't Dora turned up to challenge Lewis? 

Hazel was busy inside the large top barn sweeping up the old hay that was mixed with horses manure. This daily familiar routine was what Slugger regularly termed as 'muckin owt' -a reminder that life at Follyfoot Farm was not all fun and a doddle! 
As Hazel continued to sweep, she heard Ron's machine get louder and louder, then suddenly bam! - the gate swung open - and in emerged man and machine, in harmony (or at least it's rider thought). Hazel immediately dropped her broom and ran out to greet him, in Hazel's mind Ron was her best mate- like a favourite uncle figure who always had time and praise for her!

'Hey girl-hows things?'- Ron yelled out as he rode up towards her, coming to a halt, then turning the bike's engine off.
'I'm fine Ron', replied hazel, 'where have you been?'
'Oh, just been over to see my old mate Lewis, about something'.
'Oh, and what was that about then?' Hazel was a bright girl for her age and very perceptive about things and people in general. She pushed Ron further, 'Go on then, tell me more'-I'm all ears!'

Ron liked hazel very much -in a way she was his 'kid sister' and Ron was her 'big brother'- and as far as Ron was concerned he was there to make sure no harm ever came to her.
Hazel pressed him again, 'Arn't you going to tell me, or I suppose you're going to keep it all to yourself?'

Ron laughed! 'Ha! atta girl! your just like ole' uncle- Ron!' Well it's like this see..... but not a word to anyone.......'

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
Dora was still looking at Steve in expectation and repeated for the upteenth time, 'Steve-the letter-what does it say-who is it from please- is it your mother?' Steve had been silent for some time-as if in a trance. Finally he answered, 'Yes Dora it's from my mother- she's in trouble.'
'What kind of trouble?' Dora was becoming more alarmed, her heart was beating faster.
'Serious trouble Dora, that fire was deliberately arranged. It seems my mother had been warned on the phone a couple of times by someone calling himself 'your worst nightmare'. Ha, fancy having a name like that! It's obvious Dora, it's someone I must know, who I helped get put inside-cos he attacked one of my mum's friends! His name is Stewart Higgens.' There was a long pause between them both.

'But why would he want to burn the farm down -and nearly...... kill you Steve!' said Dora.
'Because it's the way he is Dora-deranged and revengefull-a complete nutcase-a psycho!' Steve explained further, 'When I worked in Liverpool, I used to go with mum and her friends out for a drink sometimes-just to keep an eye on her -make sure she was alright,especially when coming back home'. An' there was this guy, an ex- boyfriend of one of mum's friends and he was always getting drunk an' tryin to chat them all up-including my mother, Dora. He was always having one pint too many! She must have accidently told him where I lived I suppose. 'Then one night he went too far, began beating up one of her friends-he even stabbed her with a blade.'
'Was this in the pub, Steve? said Dora'
'No, replied Steve, 'it happened down this allyway- I followed him because I knew he was going to do something to her.' I intervened, and kept hitting him!'

Dora knew that Steve could box well-like Slugger- but Steve had a terrible temper when provoked and fear was now written all over Dora's face.

'The police eventually came Dora but by then he had managed to leg- it and I told them who it was.' The police said that she was lucky I had been around and heard her screams!'     

Steve continued, 'I testified in court and being the second witness, he was had up for attempted manslaughter -the blood on him had matched hers apparently. But it should have been attempted 'murder', Dora-thats what the police and I thought bt there were some mitigating circumstances.'
'Anyhow, somehow he's been let out early- and now he wants revenge!

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
Dora nursed a cup of tea and watched the Colonel pace up and down across the worn carpet in his study. She had just told him the contents of Steve’s letter.

“The police must be told Dora. We can’t have some madman stalking the stables and putting everyone’s lives at risk!”

“But Steve doesn’t want them told. He wants to sort it out himself!”

“Ridiculous!” shouted the Colonel. "He’s still recovering and he shouldn’t get involved. The police must be informed!” He picked up the telephone receiver and began to dial…..

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 11:23:10 PM »
"Funny!" said the Colonel, there's no dialling tone on this phone.  He tried again but sure enough the phone was dead.  "You didn't tell me the phone was broken Dora." he said.  "But uncle it was fine this morning." Dora answered.  The Colonel went outside to check the telephone line.  He traced the wire around the side of the house and noticed that it had been deliberately cut. What the hell's going on, he thought to himself.  Worried now, he hurried back into the farmhouse calling Dora as he entered the study but Dora couldn't answer him, her mouth was covered by a gloved hand.

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
'Aaagh! This is a stick up girl!

'Oh Ron!' shouted Dora. 'Where did you spring from- and why are you still here- and where's Hazel? Usually Ron left Follyfoot at around teatime but unusually he was still here.

'Hazel's fine, said Ron, 'she's with Slugger right now, locking up.'

Just then the Colonel walked in, 'Ron, what on earth is going on? The line has been cut-you didn't do it by by any chance? Did you?' The Colonel, despite his high profile past was becoming nervous.

Ron was surprised the Colonel had 'suspected' him.
'No me, of course not sir- I was about to tell Dora,' Ron hesistated then quickly explained to them both, 'I've a confession to make- I've been listening to you both talking about some nutter stalking the farm that Steve knows (Ron had delibrately sneaked in the cottage and had listened behind the closed door). Ron continued, 'At first I thought it was Lewis that might have set fire to the place but now I know it definately wasn't! Look Dora, if this guy's a psycho then the colonel's right- we need to get the police up here pronto! In the meantime, I can head down town, let the law know and then round up some of the lads aswell -including Lewis- and if this nutter is nearby - we can then flush him out like a 'rabbit' in our headlights! In the meantime colonel you could get your shotgun out.'

Just then, Slugger and Hazel had walked in. Slugger was in his usual cheery mood, despite the others looking more concerned. Slugger was not aware of anything serious now unfolding at Follyfoot farm. 
'My, we nearly have a full house this evening, lets put the kettle on.........'         

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
Slugger listened to the arguments as he bustled around the kitchen table pouring tea and serving burnt sausages, frazzled bacon and dried up eggs. He appeared not to be taking much interest at the heated conversation between Ron and the Colonel. But he was inwardly digesting all this information and fully intended to do something about it.

“But Colonel …” Ron wheedled “Me and my mates can soon sort out this nutter”

“No Ron! As soon as I’ve finished my tea, I’m going straight to the police station. And that’s an end to it! Got that?”

Ron scowled. “Yes Colonel…Sir!” But thinking to himself, while you’re poncing about wiv the Coppers I’ll be on me way to get Lewis and his mates.

Dora sat white faced while all this was going on. She hated arguments, they made her feel ill. “I’m going to see Steve again” she suddenly announced.

“What about your bacon and eggs?” asked Slugger.

“Not hungry” she said and stomped from the room, making sure she banged the door on her way out.

“I’m going with Dora” Hazel quickly followed her out and Ron was hot on her heels intent on his own business.

The Colonel pushed away his plate. “I’m orf to the police station Slugger. Keep an eye on things while I’m away will you?”

Slugger started clearing the table of half eaten food and muttering to himself “Keep an eye on things he says…that’s just what I intend to do”

He glanced out of the kitchen window and in the half light saw a shadow of someone running across the yard.

Right, this is it thought slugger as he started to roll up his sleeves…I’ll sort this beggar out once and for all.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:51 PM »
The colonel had decided to drop off Dora and Hazel at the hospital first and would then pick them up later, once he had reported his concerns to 'Burt' and his fellow bobbies down at the station.

'My, what is this world coming to these days?' muttered the colonel as he drove into the police station's car park.

As the colonel got out of the land rover, he noticed something strange on the dashboard-'that's odd'- he thought and looked more closely. It was a small photograph of a knife-( of all things), 'well thats most peculiar,' the colonel thought. Still, the colonel had more urgent things to address and strode up to the station's entrance and waved to the desk sergent who glanced up from inside.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, Slugger had more important business to deal with himself-some intruder at the farm that was now lurking about in the shadows! Slugger, despite his age was still ready to-have-a-go-and box someone's ears- if the need arose! And it looked very much the person that was lurking in the shadows (psychotic or not) was now ready for the 'high-jump!'

Slugger had carefully, slowly sneaked up in the darkness towards the donkey shed (where he had last seen the shadowy figure). It seemed like an eternity but Slugger was determined to create an element of suprise and wanted to pounce at the right moment- and take whoever it was by surprise! He was preparing himself ready to 'charge' at the 'unwanted visitor'- with fists flying- (but unknown to Slugger) the intruder was in fact just a few yards directly in front of him.

Just then, suddenly a familiar trill voice spoke out -breaking the cold night air's silence- 'Oh hello Slugger, It's only me, Callie! I've heard about this awful business with Steve. Ron reckons there' a nutter about at Follyfoot farm and I thought it was best if I hid here for a while and see if he turns up!'

Slugger was furious! 

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
'Well the thing is Burt, as you know, I spoke to you just after this dreadfull business down at Follyfoot-Dora's terribly upset, as you can well imagine-and raised my suspicions then,' the colonel was sat down, sipping tea and explaining the full story whilst Burt, along with a fellow officer nodded and took notes.
The colonel continued, 'but of course this 'letter' of Steve's',- Burt suddenly interupted him.
'Have you got the letter with you now colonel?', inquired the officer.
'No, I'm afraid I have'nt Burt but Dora has explained it all to me-as I say, 'bout some lout who has been let 'orf for good behavior and I gather is now after Steve-it's all quite ridiculous as far as I'm concerned', the colonel took another sip of his tea and sighed, 'well Burt what do you propose we can do about it?'
'Well colonel, what we can do firstly is to notify my colleagues in Liverpool and inform them of our suspicions in relation to a Mr Stewart Higgens and see if we can have a little chat with him- and find out what his game is. Also in the meantime colonel, I would suggest you get that phone line of yours repaired.'

Burt further reassured the colonel by telling him he would visit Follyfoot later that night and keep a 'little eye out' for anything suspicious.

'Right, jolly good- I must be 'orf Burt-got to call on Steve at the hospital and then take Dora and Hazel back to my place-they shall be staying at the house for a few days, as a precaution- until this business with Steve can be settled.'
'Right you are colonel, thank you for your information, good night sir', replied Burt.

As the colonel got inside the land rover he noticed the mysterious photograph on the dashboard had dissapeared.......   

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
'You wait till the Colonel gets back, my girl- then yer gonna cop-it!' Slugger was still upset by having discovered Callie (instead of the real intruder) hidden amongst the hay in the donkey shed, in anticipation of a some nightime nutter stalking the place!

Slugger was grilling poor Callie in his kitchen back at the cottage,'Well I never-of all the daftest things I've come across in my time- this one certainly takes the biscuit! Slugger continued, 'and I suppose once you had met this blinkin nutter-you would have told him what for eh?
'Well no, said Callie, 'I would have immediately told you and then we could have alerted the Colonel and the police and Ron and then we could have stopped him.' Callie had always been an optimist from a very young age -and now being 14 years old, was also becoming a fearless, headstrong teenager-who loved helping Dora and Steve (especially Steve) at the farm. The last thing she wanted was for the place to be burnt down-along with all those beautifull horses to look after and care for!

Slugger, having been denied his real 'quarry' (but relieved it was only young Callie) decided there had been enough excitement for one evening and put the kettle on.

However unknown to both Sluggs and Callie, a shadowy figure began to climb over the wall into the farm's courtyard.....      

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
While the police in Liverpool were busy trying to track down Stewart Higgens, the same man was creeping about in the yard at follyfoot. There was a roar of motorbikes coming up the lane and Higgens backed nervously into the barn. I mustn’t be caught, he thought, I have to finish what I started. He pulled out a cigarette lighter and held it to a petrol-soaked rag stuffed in a milk bottle.

Ron and Lewis with the rest of their biker gang burst into the yard and leapt off their bikes.

“This way” yelled Ron as he saw smoke pouring out from under the barn door. With the help of Lewis they yanked the blue doors open and out tumbled Higgens, screaming as flames licked up his trousers. Ron pounced on him and rolled him over and over until the flames were extinguished.

“Should have left him to burn to death” sneered one of the bikers and gave Higgens a swift kick.

“Pack that in” shouted Slugger grabbing the biker and hauling him out of the way. “Let the police deal with him now.”

And with that they heard the sound of police sirens wailing in the distance.

“Thank goodness the colonel had the phone line fixed quickly” said Callie staring wide eyed at the scene in front of her. “I can’t wait to tell Steve that nasty man has been caught at last!”

They all watched as Higgens was handcuffed and bundled into the back of a police van.

“Who’s for a cup of tea?” beamed Slugger.

“Err…no fanks sluggs, we’ll be off down the local now” said Ron grinning at his mates.

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
Re: Danger at Follyfoot!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
“So that’s about it, Steve.”  Back at Follyfoot, Dora smiled over the kitchen table at Steve, who had been discharged from hospital earlier that day , as she finished recalling the saga of the maniac who had decided that he wanted to get even with the bloke who helped to put him in prison.  Leaning his elbow on the table and resting his chin in his hand, Steve had listened intently to Dora, he now shook his head in disbelief.
“What I can’t understand is how he knew where I stayed.”  Steve furrowed his brow in puzzlement. “I can only assume that he’d overheard me talking about Follyfoot, either at the garage or the late night kiosk.”
“Well, it’s all over now, thank goodness. He’ll go back to prison, thanks to Ron and Lewis.”  Dora sighed.
“Yeah, that really surprised me, that Lewis would do anything to help us, well, me anyway. He’s not my greatest fan, nor him, mine. Perhaps he’s turning over a new leaf...on second thoughts, that’ll be the day.” Steve rolled his eyes.
“Don’t be too hard on him, Steve. He’s not that bad.”
“Really.”
“Yes, really.” Dora reached across the table. “Anyway, he isn't important. Despite losing Copper...” she said sadly. “...what is important is that you are safe. I couldn’t bear it if anything had happened to you.” Dora placed her hand over Steve’s and squeezed it . Steve looked into her eyes and smiled.

The end.

"all you are, and all you mean to me"