Author Topic: Book cover artwork  (Read 30682 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Book cover artwork
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
We have this fantastic online system where all the libraries in the metropolitan area are included, you can place your order through the system and the book is delivered to your chosen library near you! Do you have any public library systems in UK similar to this?

Yes we do Anne.  :)

Which Primrose Cumming have you ordered?

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
I will have a look at some cover books of mine when I was a youngster that have remained an impresson for me over the years.

Oh goody, I'm glad you have some to add Pete. Be interesting to see what everyone else likes  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »
Which Primrose Cumming have you ordered?
It is in Swedish so I am not sure  :-[ I googled her work and the title in swedish resembles Rivals To Silver Eagle, we will see...  :D
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
I will have a look at some cover books of mine when I was a youngster that have remained an impresson for me over the years. Your earlier book covers Anne were art noir I should think. S
The more the merrier!  :) I googled art noir but it gives a confusing range of pages, any other search keys you could give me regarding book cover + art noir Pete?
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
It is in Swedish so I am not sure   I googled her work and the title in swedish resembles Rivals To Silver Eagle, we will see...  

You chose well Anne if it is that one, it's a very hard to come by book and is really expensive to buy  :o  I have the first two in that series but I haven't got or read Rivals yet.

You asked for some illustrations so here are a couple from Silver Snaffles

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
Well truely funny then that the only Primrose's book in the system should be the rarest one!  :o ???
Thanks for the pic examples!
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
This is becoming really interesting, I googled the illustrator Stanley Lloyd, here's some other old covers  :)
http://www.janebadgerbooks.co.uk/illustrators/stanleylloyd.html
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the link Anne...I could look at these old covers all day.  :)

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
I just checked from the online library database in Helsinki and there is one book written by Primrose Cumming from 1959, I will order it  :) We have this fantastic online system where all the libraries in the metropolitan area are included, you can place your order through the system and the book is delivered to your chosen library near you! Do you have any public library systems in UK similar to this?
Anne

Hi Anne,

The Finnish library system does seem very similiar to the ones here in the UK. Here too, we have an on line catalogue and request system and most libraries are run by local councils and authorities and therefore books can be loaned and returned to any library within a region or county. Books can also be interloaned via the British Library and here in Scotland the National Library of Scotland.

I have worked in my local libraries for the past 2 and half years but before that had over 20 years experience of working in bookshops. My very first job in 1976 was in an independent bookshop and I then went back to books after having a family.

Books are major in our house.....I could open a library of my own. Everything from nature to crafts, biographies to military, reference books to novels.

Thank you for posting the covers of your favourite books....(and Suzy too.)  It would great to hear from other members and there favourite reading.

Will add mine soon.

Sue
 :)

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
The more the merrier!  :) I googled art noir but it gives a confusing range of pages, any other search keys you could give me regarding book cover + art noir Pete?
Anne

Anne as you know film noir usually refers to films in black and white or the plot takes place generally at night time or the weather is dark and brooding etc so I think the same could be applied to some illustrated book covers which are dark and moody to reflect the storyline S

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
I recently salvaged some old Ladybird books from my childhood that were at my Mother's house. Many of these have great artwork on the covers. I bought a few others from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s from a Charity shop so now have a little collection of them!

Ladybird wrote a series of animal stories in the 1950s that were written in rhyming couplets, and among these books was "The Impatient Horse", about two children who take Horace, a milk float horse, for a ride and have all sorts of adventures with him while the milkman is drinking a cup of tea with their mother!
 >35<
I've never seen a copy of this book but it is supposedly the rarest of all Ladybird books and quite valuable - so well worth looking out for. There is a picture of the cover here:

http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/ladybird/ladybird_book_detail.php?id=830

Perhaps some FF forum member has this book and could post some artwork from it?

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 11:38:25 PM »
I recently salvaged some old Ladybird books from my childhood that were at my Mother's house. Many of these have great artwork on the covers. I bought a few others from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s from a Charity shop so now have a little collection of them!

Ladybird wrote a series of animal stories in the 1950s that were written in rhyming couplets, and among these books was "The Impatient Horse", about two children who take Horace, a milk float horse, for a ride and have all sorts of adventures with him while the milkman is drinking a cup of tea with their mother!
 >35<
I've never seen a copy of this book but it is supposedly the rarest of all Ladybird books and quite valuable - so well worth looking out for. There is a picture of the cover here:

We have a lot of Ladybird books Rob but I don't think we have that one.  I will go through them all though... just in case.   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
I've just googled The Impatient Horse and you're not kidding Rob, it's not cheap :o  The cheapest I could find was £55.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
Here are Petes childhood favourite covers and illustrations  :)

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »

>35<

We have a lot of Ladybird books too.....though I don't remember The Impatient Horse but I'll certainly look out for it. They were great little books, especially liked the non-fiction ones, e.g. People in History and Nature ones too!

Sue
 :)

"all you are, and all you mean to me"