Author Topic: The New Venture  (Read 1107 times)

Offline norfolkdumpling

• Steeplechasing Star
Re: The New Venture
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2024, 07:06:14 PM »
Dora was drawn the next day to a set consisting of  ladies and gents engagement rings with matching wedding rings which of course was beyond Steve's budget. He knew that she was disappointed  but as she walked away for another look round the assistant said
'You won't want the wedding rings yet will you sir?'
'No, not for ages.'
''Then might I suggest that if you have enough for the engagement rings you take just those and we can keep the wedding rings for you  to pay off as and when you can afford them.'
Steve beamed and called Dora over. Her rings fitted perfectly but Steve's needed adjustment.
'There's no rush' said Steve. I can come back when my engagement ring is ready- probably pay off a bit more too.'
Dora's ring was put in a box and the others put aside to be altered and stored as needed. Steve had enough to pay for Dora's ring and most of his engagement ring leaving enough for a takeaway meal and a bottle of wine for later. He was given a payment card for the balance which was also recorded in the shop's ledger. The colonel was delighted with their news and promised a bonus for Steve when it could be managed.
'We should have a party when I get out of here.'
'No uncle, we really don't want a fuss. Mummy and daddy mustn't get to hear about it.'
'They will you know once the locals know, they still have a lot of friends round here. Now don't you worry, I'll give Steve the official title of manager. Of course it won't mean much in financial terms yet but things are going well and I have high hopes for the future. Now, let's have a close look at this ring.'
The colonel had asked for his wallet to be taken in and gave Steve £5.
'Here, put this towards a meal. Mrs Porter said you were going to eat out after visiting. I'm sorry it's not more. In the top drawer of my bureau there's an envelope with the safe combination inside. There's enough in there for this week's wages. Dora I trust you and Steve to deal with them. There's a note of how much everyone should receive- now off you go and celebrate.'
They decided on a Chinese takeaway which they ate down by the secret lake. Steve had bought a bottle of sparkling white wine to have later. When they'd finished their meal he said 'Now let's go an get engaged properly and they drove back to Follyfoot.
norfolk dumpling aka loopylin

Offline norfolkdumpling

• Steeplechasing Star
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 07:21:57 PM »
'Oh heck, we should have bought a chain so you can wear your ring round your neck when you're working.' said Steve.
'Don't worry darling, I've got loads of necklaces with chains which people have bought me at various times. I'll just use one of those.'
By this time they had parked and were walking towards the lightning tree. Once there Steve took the ring box out of his pocket.
'You're sure you don't want a one knee job?'
'After  all the rain we've had I don't think so.' Steve took both her hands in his and looked into her eyes.
'Dora Maddox, I love you more and more each day. Will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?'
'I love you in the same way, Steve Ross. If we could I'd marry you tomorrow but for now, yes, I'll be happy to be your wife when the time is right.' They shared a loving kiss and the farmhouse door opened and a sleepy looking Slugger said
'What are you two up yo out there?'
'Just getting engaged Slugs' said Steve slipping the ring onto Dora's finger.
'That's alright then' and after a pause 'What, say that again.'
Steve did so holding up Dora's left hand and kissing her ring finger.'
'You'd best come in then.'
Steve got the bottle of wine from the land rover. 'It's time for a celebratory drink before I take my fiancee back to her uncle's for our own private celebration.'
Hazel was still up which was unusual for her and had a small glass of wine.
'I hope you know what you're doing.' said Slugger 'Because if you----'
'I know, Slugs. If I hurt her I'll have you to reckon with and her uncle, Ron and her parents.'
'You think on too girl. Don't hurt each other and I'll be content.'
'Oh Slugs, thank you for caring.' said Dora giving him a hug.
'Go on with you. It's getting late and you've got an early start tomorrow.'

Offline norfolkdumpling

• Steeplechasing Star
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 03:32:22 PM »
After giving Slugger a final man hug and handshake they left taking the remainder of the bottle of wine with them.
'We'll give Mrs. Porter a glass then take some back for Ron' said Steve. The housekeeper had already retired for the night so the wine was put in the fridge. neither of them wanted a hot drink so Dora went straight upstairs while Steve locked up. She was already in bed when he entered the bedroom so he undressed quickly and slipped in beside her. 'Hello fiancee' he said.
'Hello yourself.'
'Are you feeling tired?' he asked.
'No, how about you?'
'No, just relaxed and happy and ready for love.'
'Mmmnn, me too!'
Steve took her in his arms loving the feel of her naked body against his. It was quite a while before they finally fell  into a deep sleep and when they awoke they felt refreshed and ready to face the day ahead. Dora put her ring back in its box until she could return to Follyfoot and find a chain to put it on. She helped Steve with the morning chores and they had breakfast together. They shared their news with Mrs Porter who said she really wasn't a wine drinker and was in fact allergic to red wine which was what they had bought. Dora went and got her ring to show the housekeeper.
'Very nice. I hope you won't be wearing it to clean out the horses.'
Well not on my finger but I'll have it on a long chain round my neck.'
Ron's reaction to their news was just what they'd expected.
'Must want your heads examining. It doesn't bother me that your having pre nuptial relations and shouldn't bother anyone else neither.'
'That's not why we got engaged Ron. We love each other,; said Steve.
'So are we going to hear wedding bells then?'
'Not for a while yet but eventually, yes.' said Dora.
'I'll believe it when I see it- but for what it's worth- congratulations. Thanks for the wine. Cheers- and I'm claiming a kiss!'
He kissed Dora's cheek and shook Steve by the hand.

Offline Kali

• Stable Hand
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2024, 11:38:08 AM »
It's a pity follyfooters are missing out on this story norfolkdumpling. I think we all wanted to see this sort of progress with Steve and Dora in the end. We may never know how the intended film would have ended so it's now up to you, the last active fan on here?