Author Topic: Theft at Follyfoot by Norfolk Dumpling  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Theft at Follyfoot by Norfolk Dumpling
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
Authors note:- I realise that I am way in the realms of fantasy with the way I am developing my continuing story of Follyfoot. I know that the fields I am incorporating probably don't exist. I make no secret of the fact that all I know about horses has been picked up from Follyfoot and the few horse owners I know. Therefore I am putting Follyfoot into the world of the leisure industry which I am familiar with and developing the side of the story that dealt with human waifs and strays. I hope that readers will accept the story and subsequent stories for what they are!

Theft at Follyfoot.

Eddie arrived at Follyfoot in late January when the snow still lay on the ground after the hardest winter in living memory. After Christmas the electrician had been busy in the caravan installing new heaters and it was now able to be plugged in to one of the power points on the small touring field which Follyfoot boasted. Eddie insisted that his family should now move back in and leave their various hosts in peace or what masqueraded as peace on the ever growing complex. Milly tutted at the arrangement.
'It's not fit for young Ray and Lily to be in that van when the weather is still so cold. They should stay where they are until the spring' she said.
'We mustn't interfere auntie' said Steve. Eddie and Marianne are used to caravan life and they obviously want their family around them. This is only temporary until they can find a unit on a mobile home site where they will be able to get settled.'
'How are they going to support themselves though?' she asked.
'Well they've actually retained a third share in the fair so they'll receive a share of the profits  and what they received for the two thirds they sold fetched a tidy amount-enough to support them for a while even after buying a new unit.'
' I hope they're paying you the going rate for staying here.'
'Eddie insisted they pay-but mates rates auntie!'
Word had got around that Marianne was willing to tell peoples fortunes and very few days passed with no-one seeking a consultation. Eddie would go into the woods most days finding fallen tree branches which he would fashion into wooden articles that were offered for sale in the shop at the Pony centre. Marianne made delicate items from lace in the evenings after the children were in bed which were similarly sold.
'You're not keeping the money you earn in the caravan are you Eddie?' asked Steve one day when he saw Eddie extract cash from a battered tin box to pay his fees for the touring site.'
'What else would I do with it? I don't hold with banks!'
Steve was very worried and shared his concerns with Dora.
'Sometimes Marianne puts the money she receives from her clients in that box when they are still with her. It's asking for trouble Steve-not everyone is honest!'
They both tried their hardest to dissuade the couple from being so open with their financial arrangements but there was no moving them.
'We never leave the van unattended. There's always one of us here.' said Eddie.
The weather slowly improved and by Easter which fell in April it was warm enough for Ray to play outside supervised by Evelyn. Marianne would often sit outside the van herself with Lily either sitting fastened in a wooden chair which Eddie had made

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Theft at Follyfoot by Norfolk Dumpling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:06 AM »
for her or lying in her pram while her mother prepared food, gave consultations or chatted to other people staying on the site. Tim attended the local school but he  preferred following Eddie about and watching him crafting his goods for sale. He soon began  to make simple items himself. Jeff loved spending time with Ray and Tim when he was allowed. April ended in heavy showers driving Marianne and the children indoors but May 1st saw a definite change for the better.
Adam and Evelyn spent most of their free time together. As part of his ongoing training Adam was learning to ride and Evelyn begged to be allowed to do so too. In exchange for lessons she was happy to babysit for Dora and Steve when Marianne didn't need her and Adam was allowed to stay with her. Again Milly was scandalised.
'You don't know what they'll get up to' she said.
'If they're going to get 'up to' anything they'll do it. There's plenty of hidey holes where they can be alone after all' said Steve and winked at Dora who blushed. In the days before their marriage it had been difficult for them to have privacy in the farmhouse and the warm evenings would often find them curled up together on a picnic rug on a mossy bank surrounded by bushes where they would lie undisturbed often not returning until late creepy quietly upstairs past the sleeping Slugger.
'I'll pop in from time to time to make sure the children are alright' declared Milly the first time the two youngsters were left in charge. She was as good as her word and found nothing amiss. Adam and Evelyn were watching a pop music programme on the television. Milly peeped in on the children and they were both sleeping.
Dora and Steve had gone out for a meal and when they came back and were told about Milly's visits Steve said:
'You'll have to excuse Auntie. She shouldn't interfere but she's always looked out for the children.'
'It's ok, we understand' said Adam. 'Actually Steve I wanted to ask you a favour. Can I have some time off? Evie and I would like to spend a few days by the sea-at the camp I used to work for actually. There's money off vouchers in 'The Yorkshire Post' this week. It's early season and I expect there's not many people booked. We can get a 2 bedroomed caravan quite cheaply.'
'When do you want to go?'
'Three weeks time if that's ok'
'Yes-that's fine. I'll let you have a bit of holiday pay too-you've been working hard Adam. Are Marianne and Eddie ok with it Evelyn?'
She nodded happily.
'I'll phone up in the morning and book then. Thanks Steve. I'd best be getting Evie back now.'
'Something else for Milly to disapprove of!' said Dora.
The next day Steve came in from work at lunchtime looking very pale.
'What's the matter love?'
'I think I've pulled a muscle in my left leg. It started hurting when I lifted a saddle down , then it seemed to be okay till I lifted something else. Now it hurts if I try to lift anything and when I bend over.
'You'd better stay off it for the rest of the day.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
'I can't. There's a load of feed coming this afternoon and I'll have to put it in the barn. I've asked Tony to take my lessons. Grant 's taken Adam and Evelyn off to do some holiday shopping and Ron's looking after Rikki'
'I can unload the feed-it's not heavy. Milly will look after the children.'
'She's over at the pony centre. I've got to pick her up later.'
'I'll do that too. I'll go straight after lunch and fetch her. I'll take Jeff and Pru to Jodie. Benny can come too. You are to rest Steve and that's final!'
Steve knew it was useless to argue.
'I'll take a couple of painkillers with my lunch.'
Jeff didn't want to go to Jodie's. He wanted to stay with Steve because he loved having his dad to himself, but Dora was firm telling him Steve had hurt himself and finally he agreed to go with her. She phoned the pony centre but Milly said she was really busy and would need a couple of hours more.
Dora spent the time putting the horse food away and tidying up the barn. She asked Ron if Teri would go and see Steve when she got back from work. Jodie said she'd keep Jeff and Benny with her till after tea when Dora called in on her way back home with Milly. Pru was grizzling so they took her with them. Steve was sitting in one of the easy chairs with his foot on a pouffee. Dora changed and fed Pru while Milly made a cup of tea and said she'd look after the evening meal preparations.
Steve was half asleep in the chair when Teri arrived and asked him several questions including where exactly the pain was. When he indicated the spot she said
'You really ought to see the doctor as soon as possible.'
'Should I take him to A&E?'
'I'm not going there to wait around for hours.'
'Well I'll ring the surgery for you first thing in the morning then. I'll probably have more chance of getting you an appointment. I'll let you know.'
'I might be better by then. I'm going to sit in the bath for a while when the kids are in bed. I reckon a good nights rest will make all the difference.'
'We'll let Teri make the appointment love- best to get it checked out.'
Steve grunted and closed his eyes again. Dora went with Teri to the door and they talked together in hushed whispers. Later Dora supervised Jeff's bedtime routine while Milly took care of Pru.
'You make sure he goes to the doctors Dora. I'll come in and sit with the children.' Milly said.
'Jeff needs to go to playschool. If it clashes with the doctors I'll get one of the others to take him.'
Steve spent a long time soaking in the bath and winced with pain as he touched his groin. Teri knew that he wouldn't let her examine him so she'd told Dora what to look for. Steve never wore pyjamas so it was easy for Dora to do this and when he had finished drying himself she ran her fingers gently over the sore area causing him to cry out and push her hand away.
'I don't think you've got muscle strain darling-there's a lump in your groin, can you feel it? Steve nodded. Teri said she thought you might have a hernia.'
Steve swore uncharacteristically.
'If it is we'll go private-and don't look at me like that. I know how you feel but the

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:57 AM »
alternative is to spend weeks in discomfort while you wait on the NHS. Teri says it's not considered to be an urgent operation and you might have to wear a truss in the meantime.'
'Never mind what Teri says-let's wait and see what the doctor says.'
Teri rang early next morning to say that Steve was booked in as an emergency with Dr. Rees at 9.15am which would mean they could drop Jeff off at playgroup first.
'I'd prefer to see Dr. Maitland!'
'Dr. Rees is very nice. I like her.' She looked at Steve and laughed softly. 'Worried about seeing a woman darling?'
'No-of course not-well a bit I s'pose. I've never been seen by a female GP!'
Dora went into the consulting room with Steve and stayed there whilst the doctor examined him  behind the screen. He came out carrying his shoes and Dora put them on for him.
'Classic case of a hernia I'm afraid. Have you been lifting heavy things?'
'Yeah- I did a bit of heavy work yesterday morning' he confessed.
'Normally there's a bit of a wait for these ops but I think you need seeing as soon as possible.'
'We'll go private!' said Dora looking at Steve and daring him to contradict her.'
'I'll ring and book you an appointment then.'
'Steve got to his feet with difficulty. 'You'll let us know when?'
'I'm going to do it now-won't take a minute!'
As good as her word she fixed an appointment in Leeds at the private clinic the following afternoon. 'If  the pain gets worse when you're not bending or if you start feeling sick get to A and E immediately.'
In the car going back home Steve said
'I hope the clinic doctor's a bloke! She checked out my wedding tackle while she was about it!'
'Yes -Teri told me that it would be part of the examination. It's  sensible anyway I have to have regular checks after all and it's reassuring to know all's well.'
'Yeah I s'pose. Not that it will be much use to me for a while!'
Dora leaned over and kissed him tenderly.
'That's another reason for us going private. We want you back to normal in all departments as soon as possible.'
When they got back to the bungalow the telephone rang. Jodie told them Adam was on his way to see them. Steve sat down and sipped the cup of strong tea Milly handed him. Pru was sitting in her baby bouncer watching Milly while Benny sat nearby watching Pru.
'No working outside for you for a few weeks.' said Milly when told the diagnosis.
Pru held out her arms and Dora took her out of the bouncer. She tried to go to Steve.
'Sorry darling-daddy can't hold you at the moment.'
Steve bit his lip. 'I feel absolutely blooming useless' he said.
'You can catch up on your reading, listen to the radio or tapes and watch the T.V.'
'Oh Whoopy do!'
'There's a lot of people much worse off than you!'
'Yeah, I know. I'm just feeling sorry for myself.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
'Poor darling. It's going to be a bit of a problem because although I can trust Jeff to be left with you looking after him Pru's different. I know you're very busy with your plants at the moment auntie but I'm going to have to do some work. Perhaps Evie will help.'
Adam came in with Evie just then and when they heard Steve's news Adam sighed.
'Oh dear-that's awkward!'
'Why?' asked Dora.
'Well they've had such a run on these cheap holidays that they can only fit us in if we go on Monday for a week and we've been into their local agents and paid in full. I don't know if we'll be able to get any money back.'
'No need-you go. We'll manage.' said Steve. 'When I've been to the clinic we'll get everyone together and see what we can work out.'
The next day was Friday. Teri was working a morning shift so in the afternoon she and Ron looked after Pru with Rikki and Jodie had Jeff and Benny.
At the clinic a nurse took Steve away. Dora was given a cup of very good coffee and a biscuit and told she would be called into the consulting room shortly. A few minutes later a tall man whose name badge read Mr. Elliot Logan , consultant surgeon came out of a nearby door.
'Do bring your coffee into my office Mrs. Ross. I'm just about to examine your husband and he's quite happy for you to be present.'
Steve lay on a couch in one corner of the room wearing only an examination gown and looking very vulnerable. A nurse stood at the end of the couch.
'We need to take some blood first of all' said Mr Logan and Steve went very pale. He didn't like needles and Dora always had to distract him when he had a tetanus shot.
Mr. Logan caught the look which passed between them.
'Don't like needles eh? Well it has to be done I'm afraid. Now Steve- I'll let your wife stand here and hold your hand while I go round and take the blood from your other arm. I like to use Christian names so what can I call you Mrs Ross?'
'Dora'
'Do call me Elliot and this is nurse Sylvia.'
'There' he said moments later. 'That wasn't too bad was it?'
'I'm usually okay so long as I don't look at the needle going in.'
The examination which Elliot gave Steve was extremely thorough.
'Well apart from the hernia you are in very good health and that should mean you'll recover well. I agree with your doctor that this operation needs doing as soon as possible. You have a  tear in your abdominal wall, that's what a hernia is. You seem to be in a bit of discomfort even when the lump isn't touched and when you're not exerting yourself. You could have had a bit of a problem for some time which wasn't causing any pain but you seem to have aggravated it this week and there is a danger of strangulation which means part of the bowel becomes cut off and dies. This is very dangerous and we must avoid it at all costs so I must stress that if your symptoms get worse you must either go to A and E or come to us immediately. There's always someone on call for emergencies.
He consulted a diary on his desk. 'I suggest we do the operation first thing on Tuesday morning. No food or drink after 10pm the night before. We will probably

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
only keep you in for a couple of days.' He went on to explain the procedure and warned Steve that the area would need to be shaved but that a male nurse would do it for him.
'Can you tell us what it's going to cost?' asked Dora.
'We'll give you a quotation before you leave and we would ask for full payment  on discharge. There will be one follow up visit which is paid for on the day. Do you have any further queries?'
'How long before I can go back to work?'
'4-6 weeks is around the normal time but you will need to take it easy at first because a lot of what you do is manual work. Nothing too heavy-I suggest you don't ride for a couple of months. You should be able to drive short distances after a couple of weeks but be guided by your body and if things like an emergency stop hurt then give it a bit longer. Now if there's nothing else nurse will take Steve back to the changing room and then he can have a coffee while we get your quotation ready.'
He shook hands with Dora and saw her back to the waiting area. Steve stood up and asked quietly 'What about love making?'
'When you feel like it. Give it a few weeks I'd say but your body will tell you when and you might need to adapt your positioning for a while.
They brought Dora another coffee when Steve had his. She hadn't drunk much of the last one.
'You okay darling-that was quite an examination he put you through.'
'Have you got the painkillers love. I'm in quite a bit of  discomfort after that.  Goodness knows how much this lots going to cost us!'
'I don't care. You're worth it!'
He took the painkillers and sat with his eyes closed. Dora held his hand. The nurse came back a few minutes later with a folder.
'All the information you need is in here. It tells you what to bring, all about meals and visiting and of course the price.Take it easy over the next few days and we'll see you on Tuesday at 8am.'
That evening Grant and Jodie, Teri and Ron, Tony, Hazel. Ben , Annabelle and Milly
all gathered in the lounge at the bungalow. Marianne had said that she and Eddie would help out by looking after the children whenever they could and between them the others worked out some plans. Tony was going to move into the farmhouse while
Steve was unable to work and Milly was going back to her old room in the bungalow.
'Now look' Steve told Dora 'You can come home after you've taken me to the hospital. If you don't feel like driving we'll have a taxi.'
'Can we afford it?' laughed Dora after they had been shocked when they had looked carefully at the clinic bill.
'I'll be ok to drive you there and I want to stay till you've come round from the op. Then I'll come home and be back there later if they say it's ok.'
'According to the literature you can stay as long as you like. It's only other visitors who have to leave.'
Steve spent a very unpleasant weekend. He found it difficult to concentrate on reading even a newspaper. Jeff was very disappointed when he even had to give up playing table games with him on Saturday afternoon. Dora was at the Pony Centre

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:10 AM »
giving lessons, Milly was also there working, Evie was looking after Pru and Ray with Tim's help. Eddie had taken Lily for a walk while Marianne gave consultations. Very often on Saturdays when their offspring were having riding lessons mothers would seek her out. Jeff got out his toy cars and began playing with them on the floor doing loud sound effects.
'Pack the noise in Jeff and play quietly Steve said more sharply than he'd meant. Jeff crept off to his room leaving his cars on the floor. The clinic had loaned Steve a walking stick and he rapped on the floor with it yelling 'Jeff come back here' at the top of his voice.
'Pick those cars up and take them to your room. If I have to get up I could stand on one and do myself more damage!'
'I sowwy daddy!' he said and did as he was told tears streaming down his little face which made Steve feel cross with himself. When Dora came back with Milly she found him sitting with his head in his hands. Milly put the kettle on and Dora sat down beside him.
'What's wrong Steve?'
'I've been in a bit of a mood not being able to do much this afternoon and I shouted at Jeff, more than once. Poor little chap was not doing anything wrong just playing. Will you go and get him please love. I need to put things right.'
Benny had been at the pony centre with Gip. Jeff had wanted to go too but he'd had a bit of a cold and Dora thought it best if he stayed indoors for the day. Benny now went and laid his head on Steve's good knee instinct telling him to be very careful. When Jeff came out of his room he hugged the dog who promptly began licking his face.
'Jeff' said Steve softly. 'Look at me mate.'
Jeff looked up at him. 'I sowwy' he said again.
'No mate- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted at you like that but when people are not  feeling at their best they can get very grumpy and I know I was this afternoon. I can't promise I won't be again but I want you to know I love you and Pru very very much and I'd like it if you'd forgive me and give me a  hug-but don't sit on my lap!'
The little boy smiled and gave his dad the biggest hug he could clinging tightly to his neck and kissing his cheek.
'Do you still love mummy and Auntie too?' asked Jeff puzzled that they hadn't been mentioned.
'Of course-as they're adults they know they have to make allowance  for me and they know I love them both to bits!'
'What are lowances mummy and can I help you make some for daddy?'
Laughing Steve tried to explain.
'Oh- so we can't see lowances then?'
'No Jeff-we can't. But now you see that I've cheered up a bit and that's what you can help mummy to do for me.'
Dora sat down with Jeff on her lap and they told him about Steve needing to go into hospital for a few days and that he would need to be good for whoever was looking after him. Evie brought Pru in then and she was crying.
'Sorry she's a bit grumpy at the moment.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »
'It's okay Evie' said Jeff. 'We'll have to make her some lowances.'
Evie looked puzzled. Dora ,Milly and Steve laughed.
'Careful daddy or you might hurt yourself.'
'Oh Jeff, you're absolutely priceless!' said Steve.
'You're not going to sell me are you?' he said looking alarmed.
'Absolutely not. What I meant was you are worth so much money that no-one but us could have you.'
Benny got up wagging his tale and went over to where Dora now sat with Pru who was still crying a bit. He put his head on one side and gave her a kind of doggy grin which made her stop crying and put out her hand to him.
'I think Benny's priceless too.' said Jeff and everyone nodded in agreement.
Jeff's cold was almost gone the next day and Dora thought some fresh air would do him good so after she had taken Milly to the early morning service she took Jeff to the Pony Centre and gave him a riding lesson. Milly was always given a lift home by a friend so Dora, Jeff and Benny  stayed out all morning while Jodie took care of Pru and Steve rested. After lunch Dora looked after Pru while Jeff went off with Tim and Eddie. Later while Pru slept she got ready the things Steve would need for the hospital. Luckily he had two new pairs of pyjamas which Milly had bought him before she was told he never wore them.
'I'd best buy you a new dressing gown tomorrow. You can't take that old blue thing into a posh clinic. You'll need slippers too. I'll drive Evie and Adam to Leeds to catch the train and do some shopping for you.'
'All this is costing us a fortune. Don't throw my old dressing gown away, it's so warm and comfortable!'
They both found it hard to sleep-Steve because he was not used to lying in one position all the time and Dora because she missed his arms round her although she snuggled up as close as she could. He took her hand and they lay talking till eventually sleep claimed them. Monday night was even worse because they had not long dropped off when Pru woke up crying . Dora was some time settling her back to sleep. She would have loved a hot chocolate to help her sleep but wouldn't make one because Steve was not allowed. Next morning they were up early and Steve insisted that Dora had breakfast while he had a bath. She could only manage a round of toast and marmalade but downed two cups of black coffee. Time seemed to drag but at last it was time to leave for the clinic. When they arrived Steve took a deep breath.
'Okay I'm ready!'
Dora kissed him lovingly and they walked slowly inside holding hands. After he had been admitted, shaved and dressed in a theatre gown Dora was allowed to sit with him while he waited to go for his operation already feeling drowsy from the pre-med.
She was allowed to go to the door of the anaesthetic room but not inside. She hoped Steve was drowsy enough not to notice the injection he would have.
'Are you staying Dora or going home?' asked nurse Sylvia.
'Staying till the operation is over.'
'It shouldn't be too long. I'll show you where we make tea and coffee and you can help yourself whenever you want some. '
Dora went back to Steve's room and sat in one of the comfortable easy chairs closing

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
her eyes and praying silently that everything would go well. The next thing she knew a nurse was speaking to her
'Would you like a cup of tea Dora? They'll be bringing Steve back in a little while.'
'Thanks-I'd like that. ' She looked at her watch which showed it to be 11.30am.
Goodness- I must have fallen asleep. Did the operation take longer than expected?'
'Elliott will be in shortly to talk to you. There's nothing to worry about.'
Dora of course did worry. She got up and splashed cold water on her face to bring her fully awake. Steve was wheeled in his face looking rather white and he had a drip in one hand. Dora's gasp was heard by the white coated doctor who followed the bed in.
'I'm Paul Weiner, the anaesthetist.' he said. 'Your husband's body took a dislike to the anaesthetic and he was rather sick when he was coming round. I've given him an injection and he shouldn't have any further problems. We're using the drip to replace some of the fluid he lost but we'll take it out when he's fully awake and he can take sips of water.
Steve gave a groan and Dora was instantly at his side taking hold of his hand.
'It's ok Steve. I'm here darling.'
She was surprised when Elliott himself brought her in a cup of tea and two chocolate biscuits. He indicated that she should sit down.
'Don't look so worried my dear. The operation itself went fine and I think Steve has successfully rid himself of the anaesthetic. He'll probably be round shortly. Press the bell when that happens and we'll see about sitting him up.'
Dora drank her tea and nibbled on the biscuits. She was rather hungry as she hadn't eaten much for breakfast. She stroked Steve's hair out of his eyes and kissed his forehead. His eyes fluttered open then shut again. Several minutes later he tried again and this time focussed on her face.
'Hello darling. How are you feeling?'
'Sleepy.'
'Are you in pain?'
'A bit.'
'Feel sick?'
'Not at the moment.'
Dora reached out and pressed the call button. Two nurses entered and eased him into a sitting position putting pillows behind him but not erecting the bed rest.
'Could you manage a few sips of water?' asked Tom Barber.
'I'll try.'
He held a feeding cup to Steve's lips. Dora remembered how Slugger had hated it when Teri took him one. Steve did not react in the same way liking the feel of the cool liquid in his mouth.'
'Tastes good.'
He was offered a few more sips then Tom said
'We'll come back in about an hour when hopefully the doctor will let you have the drip out and you can have a wash and have your own pyjamas on.'
Dora was pleased when this had been done. The colour was beginning to come back to his face and they suggested he try some toast and a cup of tea.
Afterwards he seemed sleepy again so Dora said she'd go home for a while and return

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
later in the afternoon after she had eaten.
When Dora went to Follyfoot to pick up the children Jodie greeted her with a solemn face.
'Leave them here for a while longer and go to the caravan to see Eddie. '
When she arrived at the caravan it was to find Grant and Eddie having a heated discussion outside the caravan . Marianne sat just inside feeding Lily while Ray played on the floor with his bricks.
'I tell you Adam's not the sort of boy to steal anything. I'd stake my life on it!' said Grant.
'Be careful what you say. You've only known him a few months.' Eddie responded.
'I think Grant's right.' put in Marianne. 'And Evie wouldn't be a part of anything like this!'
'He wouldn't be fool enough to tell her. No my guess is he's got an accomplice at that place they've gone to who'll hide the money and probably get a share. Then Adam'll take off one night and leave Evie on her own.'
'What's going on?' asked Dora.
'Our money's gone. Most of the cash we got from selling part of the fair and the money we've been earning. All that's left is the coins-obviously too heavy to carry.'
'Oh no! Eddie I'm sure Adam would not steal from you. He's scrupulously honest. Doesn't even take a biscuit without asking....'
'And always pays if he wants to use the telephone' added Grant.
'We'll have to let the police get to the bottom of it.'
'No-please' said Marianne. I'll drive us to Filey tomorrow Eddie and we'll confront Adam together in front of Evie. I'll know if he's telling the truth.'
'Can't your powers help you out in seeing what happened to the money?' Grant asked.
'No, we're not allowed to seek on our own  behalf or close family.'
'You do realise he could have done a runner by tomorrow?' said Eddie.
'Look-if he has we've got photos of him and Evie would know what clothes he had with him.I've got a strong feeling that we shouldn't involve the police.'
Eddie sighed. 'Alright- I give in. It's a good thing Tim's away on school camp and away from all this.  Marianne sat Lily up and rubbed her back as she looked at Dora.
'How's Steve?'
'He's okay now. Had a bit of a bad reaction to the anaesthetic but that's been sorted and he's just very tired. I'm going back in after tea-not that I've had anything much since breakfast.'
'Here' said Marianne. 'I made some cheese scones this morning. Take a couple home.'
Dora accepted and started walking back to the farmhouse with Grant keeping her company.
'Are you going to tell Steve about this?'
'Not tonight-maybe tomorrow depending how he is. I'd rather wait and tell him when he gets home.'
'You look done in Dora' said Jodie.'Sit down and I'll make you a cup of tea. Jeff's watching a schools nature programme on television and Pru's asleep.'
'Thanks. I'll have the scones Marianne's given me as well if you don't mind.'
'Course not. Jeff and I made gingerbread men this morning so he can have one with a glass of milk.'
'Do you mind having them tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to be at home till after lunch?'
'That's fine. I'll keep them till after tea then take them back to the bungalow and help Milly put them to bed.'
'Leave Benny here for a bit Dora. I'll take him for a walk later and while you're out tonight we'll have another walk round later to make sure there's no strangers about, after all a lot of people knew that Eddie and Marianne kept money in the caravan even if they didn't know how much.' said Grant.
'Surely a thief wouldn't come back so soon.'
'Oh they might if they thought you had money in the bungalow and knew about Steve being away!'
Dora shivered. 'I'll be worried about Auntie and the kids now.'
'I'll ask Tony to go over. I know he's not going out tonight because Ellie's away with the school like Tim.'
On the short drive home Dora thought to herself what a pity it was that Grant and Jodie had no children of their own. They both seemed to love children and young people and she knew that Eddie's accusations about Adam hit them as hard as it did her. Steve would feel it too and that made her determined to keep the matter of the stolen money from him for the time being. There was a lovely smell coming from her oven as she went indoors.
'Goody- auntie's stew and dumplings!' exclaimed Jeff.
Dora had to smile. When Slugger had cooked stew and dumplings Steve, Ron and Dora would certainly not have reacted like that but she still missed dear old Slugger for all that.

Meanwhile, oblivious to all the drama Adam and Evie were enjoying their holiday. Swimming in the pool, entering silly competitions, going on rides and dancing at the evening Disco. Best of all they were enjoying cosying up to each other on the comfortable sofa-like seating in the caravan. On Monday night she'd said 'You don't really need to sleep in the other bedroom Adam, come into mine. It's got a double bed.'
'We mustn't Evie- we're still very young!'
'So what- back at home the travelling families allowed their youngsters to have fun provided they took precautions. Let's face it there wasn't much else to do on cold nights!'
I couldn't face Marianne if we slept together and anyway I don't have any protection with me.'
' Well I do. Tony and Ellie sleep together. She stays the night at the farm sometimes and his parents don't mind.'
'That's different. They're older and they're engaged.'
'We could get engaged.'
'Please Evie- don't keep on. I don't want to spend our evenings quarrelling. It's late and I want to be up early so I can join the pre-breakfast run tomorrow. I want to get fit.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
'Okay. I'll see you for breakfast.' They shared a long kiss and Adam went off into his bedroom.
Evie  felt frustrated but she didn't think Adam would change his mind.

The Yorkshire Adventure centre was a great place for school parties and the children of Philip Darton Secondary School were all safely tucked up in their sleeping bags. Tim was feeling hungry and felt in his bag for a chocolate bar. His fingers found something else-the letter Evie had given him to give to dad just before Dora took her and Adam to the station. Well it probably wasn't important and he'd be home on Friday, a couple of  days before Adam and Evie.
He could hear crying coming from a tent nearby. One of the stupid girls homesick he supposed. He heard a noise which sounded like the tent being unzipped and lay wondering what was going on. He unzipped a small section of the tent and peered out. One of the girls and Miss were coming with a torch.
Ellie entered the girls tent. 'What's wrong Diane?' she asked.
'Please miss I've got a tummy ache.'
'Miss she's been eating apples we found under the trees near the watersports lake.'
said Clare.
'Did anyone else eat any?'
'We all had one but we didn't like them much. Diane ate several.'
'Miss I feel sick!' Ellie grabbed a plastic bowl and was just in time. Angela Cavendish the teacher who was sharing Ellie's tent stuck her head in.
'Need any help?'
'I think she'd better come in with us. Luckily she's not been sick in her sleeping bag.
We can probably carry her between us.' (Diane was rather a large girl!)'
'I woke Jim up- he's outside. He'll help. '
Between them they got Diane back to the tent the two female teachers were sharing. They all had a very restless night and Diane was still not feeling well in the morning.
Ellie telephoned Diane's home. Her father had taken the car and gone on a business trip and her mother could not fetch her as she had no transport. They were only 25 miles away so Ellie said she would drive her pupil home. Word spread round the children and Tim approached Ellie with the letter from Evie in his hand.
'Miss- I should have given me dad this letter afore I came away-it's from my aunt. Do you think you could take it?'
Normally Ellie would not have done so but as she had come to know and like Tim's family socially at various Follyfoot gatherings she decided to help the boy out and took it from him.

Eddie and Marianne with the two children in tow arrived at Filey Meadows  around 1pm. Ray was hungry and they hoped that they would be able to eat at one of the cafes. They approached the reception desk and enquired which caravan Adam Banks and Evie Summers were staying in.
'I'm sorry, We have no-one booked in under either of those names 'said the young receptionist after she had looked through the records.
Marianne read the girls name badge. 'Look Penny,Adam used to work here- can you

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
look up your personnel records. Perhaps someone will remember him and know if they've seen him around.'she said  trying to ignore Ray's insistent pulling at her coat.
'It's very urgent that we contact them.' she pleaded.
'I think I'd better take Ray to the toilet' said Eddie and the receptionist pointed the way. After she'd had a word with the personnel department she said
'I'm sorry. We don't appear to have employed anyone of that name. I'm not really supposed to divulge information like that but since there's no trace of him on any file I don't see the harm in telling you.'
'I see. Is there anywhere we can get a cup of tea and something to eat?'
'The Pastures Cafe is open to non residents. It's just next door.'
When Eddie returned Marianne told him what she'd found out and he shook his fist.
'Little beggar's lied to everyone about where he worked as well as where they're staying. Now do you believe me. We'll call the police when we get back.'
'Let's get something to eat and talk things over. There's something trying to come into my mind but try as I may it's not working. It might when we're back home.'
Penny was fairly new at the camp and when her colleague returned from lunch she told her what had happened earlier.
'I reckon I know what's happened. They've come to the wrong place. There's another camp , Filey Sands,owned by a different holiday company a few miles further up the coast. Every year we get some people arrive here thinking they've got a booking. The number of times I've had to telephone Filey Sands. I'm getting quite friendly with the girls on reception.'
'Will they go that way back to Leeds?'
'Not very likely.'
'Oh dear. I've not been very helpful. '
'Not your fault-you weren't to know.'
'I'm on my lunch break now. I'll go next door and see if they're still eating.'
She couldn't see them in the cafe but when she described them to the girl at the payment desk she said that they'd only been gone a few minutes. The visitors car park was some distance away and was always quite full as many guests had people visit them for the day Of course Penny had no idea what car they were driving so she made straight for the exit gate hoping to intercept them on the way out.
She stood there for 20 minutes peering into each car that passed and calling 'Hope you enjoyed your visit-please come again' to allay any fears. Her lunch break would be over in 15 minutes and she still had to get something to eat so thinking she must have been too late she made her way back to the cafe still looking in all occupied cars without success.
Marianne and Eddie had decided to have a walk round the camp before going back to the car and had found the funfair. Eddie had found someone he used to work with operating a Kiddies Roundabout and he allowed Ray to have a couple of rides while he talked to Eddie about old times. They were there all the time the Penny was in the car park and as she walked away they were walking back to their car from a different direction and so missed her.
'Never mind' said her friend. 'You did your best.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
Ellie dropped Diane off at her house and then went to Follyfoot. Tony was working in the yard and smiled when he saw her.
'I've just come to give Eddie a letter from Evie. Tim was supposed to have done it but he forgot.'
'They've gone to Filey to try and find Evie and Adam. Something about missing money.'
'You will make sure you give it to Eddie won't you love?'
'Of course.' He took her in his arms. 'I've missed you. Jodie's probably got the kettle on. Have you got time for a cuppa?'
'I shouldn't really but hey the kids'll all be enjoying themselves on the water this afternoon and the centre's instructors will be in charge, so as long as I'm back to supervise them when they've finished it'll be okay.
Over tea she explained to Jodie and Tony why she'd come back and Jodie filled her in about the missing money. Ellie agreed with Jodie that Adam was too nice to be involved in such a theft.
'It's making us all jumpy though' Jodie said. 'If  a thief got his eye on the place anywhere could be the next target.'
Ellie downed the last of her tea and brushed cake crumbs from her trousers.
'Best be going. Now don't forget that letter!'
Dora was at Follyfoot late on Wednesday afternoon when Marianne pulled onto the touring field.
'How did you get on?' she asked.
'Huh- no luck not only are Adam and Evie not staying at Filey Meadows they can't trace that he ever worked there.' growled Eddie.
'That's not surprising. Adam worked at Filey Sands and presumably that's where they're staying.'
'You mean Filey has more than one holiday camp?'
Several I should think but there's two big rival camps. Didn't you ask someone where they'd gone?'
'No- we just drove to Filey, found a big caravan park and when they weren't there we came home' said Marianne.
'Wait a minute-now I remember what's been at the back of my mind trying to get out. Evie mentioned Filey Sands. It was on Sunday night. Eddie had gone to the pub and Evie was  putting Ray to bed while I fed Lily. I remember hearing her say to Ray 'Be good when auntie's on holiday at Filey Sands. I just thought she meant the beach at Filey. How silly do I feel now! We'll have to go back tomorrow!'
'I'm off to see Steve after tea. I hope you have better luck tomorrow.'
Steve was much better and said he could go home the next day. Dora seemed not to have heard .
'Did you hear me love-I'm coming home tomorrow.'
'That's great darling.'
Steve waited for her to talk about arrangements for picking him up but she sat silent lost in her thoughts.
'What's wrong love?'
'Nothing you need worry about.'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
'If you're worried, I'm worried. Now come on-tell me.'
Dora sighed. He had to know sometime. So she told him everything.
'Why do they think it's Adam?'
'Because the money and Adam went about the same time.'
'Did they? When did Eddie or Marianne last have the box open. I know Marianne drops coins in without looking. Before they go making any accusations they need to be sure when they last had the box open and looked at the contents'
'Oh Steve- why hasn't anyone thought to ask them?'
'The police would have done. It must be my criminal mind!'
'Well you do read a lot of detective novels. I'll have to go round and ask them when I get back.'
'Are you coming to pick me up tomorrow?'
'Of course. I'll take Jeff to Playschool first.'
'I might not be ready till around 10am. Got to go through all the discharge rigmarole.'
'Well if I get here too early I'll just wait. I'm not going back home after I've dropped Jeff off.'
'I can see you're itching to go and find out the answer to my question. Go on-off you go. I feel like reading for a bit. I'll see you tomorrow.'
Dora bent over and kissed him.'I cant wait' she said and hurried away.
Tony went over to Eddie's van at teatime.
'I've got a letter here that Tim should have given you from Evie. He found it in his bag last night. Ellie had to bring one of the girls home this morning so she dropped it off.'
The envelope was addressed to Marianne and Eddie.
'You open it-she's your sister' said Eddie.
Marianne gasped when she'd read the letter and handed it to him.
'Er- I'd best be going' said Tony. Dora was just approaching the caravan.
'There's something going on in there-I don't know if they'll want visitors' said Tony.
.Dora knocked on the door.
'It's Dora, can I come in.'
'Yes please do Dora-and if Tony's still there tell him to come back.
'The money wasn't stolen after all. Listen to this letter which our scatter-brained son should have given us before he went to camp. You remember Dora that Evie and Adam caught the early train from Leeds when they went on holiday. Eddie and I weren't up when Evie left and she didn't want to disturb us. Evidently Tim was excited about going to camp so he was up which is why Evie gave him the letter.
'Dear Marianne and Eddie, I was up very early this morning and Ray was awake so I let him get up for a little while. You had left the tin box out and I thought I must put that away but I had the kettle on for tea. Ray made a beeline for the box and started playing with the coins. Then he started taking out the notes and scrunching them I think he liked the sound of the notes crackling and the coins jingling. I was going to stop him but I thought I'd just watch for a while as I drank my tea. He went over to his toy box and got out his lorry-the one where the back opens and started putting the screwed up notes in it.
'Ray-don't do that. It's naughty' I said and he fished a load more notes out of the lorry.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
He had quite a stash in there! Anyway I managed to get him back to sleep but I thought I'd best put the notes in a safer place then you can decide what you want to do with them. You know the old brown suitcase I brought some of my things in? It's on the top shelf in my wardrobe. I put all your notes in there. You'll see some of them are a bit crumpled. I've left the coins for now but perhaps you had best put them somewhere safer too. I don't really need that case now as I bought a new one for my holiday. Tim's just getting up so I'll leave the note with him. See you Monday
The suitcase lay closed on the table. 'The money's in there alright' said Eddie.
'Thank heaven we didn't involve the police' said Marianne. 'I feel absolutely dreadful!'
'I'm the one who's feeling dreadful. No-one else blamed Adam-only me!We'll have to wait till Tim gets back to see how he ended up taking the letter with him.'Eddie replied
'I don't think we should tell him how important the letter was. It will only make him feel dreadful too.' said Marianne.
'Maybe you shouldn't let on to Evie that you didn't get the letter till today.' said Tony.
'It might be better to tell everyone the truth but it's your decision.' said Dora. 'By the way the good news is Steve is coming home tomorrow. He won't be able to work for several weeks and then when he does start he'll have to take it steady. No riding either. When I told him about the money he said to ask you when  you last have the box properly open and look inside. We all know how both of you just open it wide enough to let you put money in-of course it doesn't matter now. He'll be glad that it's turned up.I know you don't trust banks but you could always let us put the money in our office safe.'
'No thanks love. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt if you had a break in. You don't keep much money in there because you bank it often so you wouldn't feel too bad about opening the safe and giving up the contents if everything was yours but if our money was in there you might be tempted to be brave. We'll leave things as they are but we'll just keep a small amount of money in the box and find somewhere else for the money that only Marianne and I will know about.'
'Well the offer is there if ever you want to take us up on it.'
Dora walked back to Coppers Rest. Teri and Ron were there. The floor was a jumble of toys,children and dog. Pru was sitting in her bouncy chair watching Rikki and Jeff play.
'Come on Ricks-time we went home for tea.' said Ron.
'Why don't you all stay?' said Milly. 'I've done a big Lasagne.'
'Thanks Milly but our tea's in the oven' said Teri.
'I've got good news- Steve's coming home tomorrow.' said Dora.
'Shall I make a nice chicken casserole  to celebrate Steve coming home?' Milly said.
'That'd be great thanks.'
Jeff gave her the thumbs up.
'Go wash your hands Jeff.' Dora said.
'Can I come with you to pick daddy up?' asked Jeff.
'Well you have playschool and you know you don't like missing it. Chantelle will be