Author Topic: how long to make each series?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline timb9095

• Dressage Rider
  • Its too hot for stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how long to make each series?
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
Anyone any ideas or facts ?

If series one was shown in 1971 (late summer?),  then presumably first shots could have been done as early as 1970.

Timb

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Re: how long to make each series?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:40:47 AM »
Hi Tim. Possibly. If you look at the pic of Gillian and Robin Stewart that Network put on the cover of the DVD Gillian's hair is quite different under her hat. I understand they shot one ep with Robin but it wasn't working out...maybe that was 1970? I gather the team stayed up on location for 18 months making all three series from what I've read in press cuttings and interviews. Steve apparently drove over from Bradford every morning, and Gillian had a caravan - and her Afghan hound Sheila - on site at the farm. Not sure about Christian.
cheers
Sabrina
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline myscimitar

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:41:20 PM »
If you look at the pic of Gillian and Robin Stewart that Network put on the cover of the DVD Gillian's hair is quite different under her hat.

Hello Sabrina

I've just read through this thread again and it has just dawned on me - what picture of Gillian and Robin Stewart? Have I missed something? My DVD doesn't have a picture of Robin Stewart on its cover.

Not sure about that, but my Follyfoot paperback has them on the cover, and it does look strange

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
Hi all
That pic on the back cover of two riders on horses, with printing on top of it. If you look closely, it's Robin Stewart, not Steve Hodson. In fact the choice of pics on the DVD cover is interesting. The promo group shot on the front has Steve almost blinking and again on the back cover Gillian has a ciggie in one hand in the pic on the right (crumbs, I think I'm going off thread! hellllppp!) Anyway this is the first time I've seen the Robin Stewart on horseback pic. I guess a promo shoot was done before shooting started and Robin was replaced by Steve. This would explain the RS pic on the original FF novel too as publication date for that is 1971 from memory.
cheers
Sabrina
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline myscimitar

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:15 PM »
The one thing I do find strange is the fact that Robin Stewart is on the cover of the paperback I have 'Follyfoot' as normally a book changes it's cover from the original artwork to the TV artwork around the time a series is first aired! I would have thought that they would have, had a chance to change the cover?... did they do that at all later?
How long did Robin Stewart work on the series, before being dropped, It would be amazing if he did record a pilot episode, before the producers dropped him , and wouldn't it be even  more amazing if it were still around collecting dust somewhere. I love to see how different the characters were to each other.

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »
Hi folks,
I do have a clearer pic of Robin and Gillian on my hard drive - I think it was included in the special extras PDF on the series 1 DVD. I've put it on my website and here's the link: http://www.arionproductions.com.au/21346_Follyfoot-02.JPG  

It would be utterly fantastic if a pilot episode still existed somewhere in the vaults of what used to be YTV. Sadly it may have been lost when YTV became gobbled up in ITV. I haven't heard a whisper about it anywhere on any of the tv history type websites.

Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Nik

• Dressage Rider
  • Founder & administrator 2004-2009
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
That pic on the back cover of two riders on horses, with printing on top of it. If you look closely, it's Robin Stewart, not Steve Hodson.

My guess(and it is just a guess) is that the outdoor shots of the first series of Follyfoot were filmed in late summer/early autumn 1970, and the indoor shots during the winter of 70/71 with post production during the spring of 71 ready for the first episode to be broadcast in June. They were possibly filming the second series during the run of the first series and the same with the third, although if they were only on location for eighteen months they probably filmed the second and third series in the summer of 71 through to early 1972.

I am reading from the front page of the Steve Hodson Fan Club Newsletter dated June 1973.

It says and I quote,

"The 3rd Series is now finished and the cast had a fantastic farewell party during the last week." ....... "The film has been shelved for the time being, due to production difficulties - let's hope that they get it together soon eh."  YEAH!

So from this we can confirm that series 3 was completed just before June 1973.

I hope this helps your detective work - keep up the good work  ;)

Nik
x.
Nik - Follyfoot forum founder and editor 2004-2009 | Follyfoot website researcher and contributor 2004-2007

Offline Nik

• Dressage Rider
  • Founder & administrator 2004-2009
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »

It would be utterly fantastic if a pilot episode still existed somewhere in the vaults of what used to be YTV. Sadly it may have been lost when YTV became gobbled up in ITV. I haven't heard a whisper about it anywhere on any of the tv history type websites.

Cheers
Sabrina x

When I had contact with YTV I enquired about this and was told no pilot existed now.
Also someone I know still has contact with ITV and they gave me some feedback around a year ago, it was the same as my own. So unless we are wrong......it's gone forever.

Nik
x.
Nik - Follyfoot forum founder and editor 2004-2009 | Follyfoot website researcher and contributor 2004-2007

Offline Tony

• Western Rider
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
 :D I just found this thread from 2007, really interesting  >41<

No wonder Dora wore polo neck jumpers quite often, Gillian must have still been freezing cold from the night in her caravan with her Afghan hound Sheila >106<

I've walked around Follyfoot farm with motorbike gear on and it's still freezing cold on a bad day  >349<

I'd still rather be in Yorkshire that Spain though  :)   >75<

On a nice day there's no better place to be  >95<

You don't stop riding when you get old - you get old when you stop riding.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
I'd still rather be in Yorkshire that Spain though  :)   >75<

>41<

"The 3rd Series is now finished and the cast had a fantastic farewell party during the last week."

And thanks to Jane Royston sharing her collection we now know what they ate at the farewell party  :D

Offline Tony

• Western Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
 >41< Jane

I wish I could have been there  :) Pity there's no photos of the party

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
Just checked on the Bank of England inflation calculator and found that £5 in 1973 would be £54 at today's prices.

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
Just checked on the Bank of England inflation calculator and found that £5 in 1973 would be £54 at today's prices.

I hope they had a good night then!
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline Tony

• Western Rider
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »

>117<

YTV seemed a bit mean not putting a party on for free  :(

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

I hope they had a good night then!

>104<  As Jane can't remember what happened I'm guessing they did  ;D