Author Topic: Follyfoot in the year 2013  (Read 2049 times)

Offline pete.r.

• Steeplechasing Star
Follyfoot in the year 2013
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
A story in 2 parts

Part 1                                                   
                                       Follyfoot in the year 2013

Dora was sat at the table looking pensive.
"Everything alright Dora?" asked Steve. Dora sat looking into space.
"I was just thinking," said Dora, "What will Follyfoot be like in, say, forty years time?".
"Dunno," said Steve.

Dora closed her eyes tight, and concentrated. Concentrated hard.
"What will it be like,?" she thought."What will have changed?."
 She opened her eyes. A laptop was in front of her.
"I've just finished the accounts for the month" she said to Steve. "Made quite a good profit."
"The riding schools doing really well, especially since you put that Laura Renwick in charge" said Steve.
"Wish I'd married her instead of that Wendy Bendiger. Three kids and she walks out on me, 20 years ago.
I remember it like it was yesterday. You done the best thing Dora, never getting married."
"I'm married to my horses," replied Dora.
"Pity my children didn't want to work on the farm" said Steve. "Especially as you built that nice little barn extension for us."

Just then in through the door came Ron, still ginger but a bit thinner on top, pushing Slugger in his wheelchair.
Slugger had his same hat on.
"Blimey Slugs me old mate" said Ron," Roll on retirement, only 4 years to go.Pushing you around half the day in
this thing is killing me."
"Yeah well", said Slugger," Another 8 years and I get me telegram from the King. Well done Slugs it'll say, putting
up with that Stryker bloke for 40 years. Cheers, William."
"Ha ha", said Ron, "But its not easy being a widower. Think I'll go and put some flowers on Hazel's grave tomorrow."
"While you're at it " said Dora," Put some on Uncles as well will you. Can't believe it's been 30 years now."
"Time flies," said Steve.

Just then the kitchen door opened, "Breakfasts ready" shouted Jamie the chef, "Hash browns, eggs benedict,
French toast stuffed with bacon strips, blueberry muffins, apricot jam, coffee, orange juice and a flute of Cmampagne."
"Blimey" said Ron, "And to think we were all brought up on burnt sausages and stew. I reckon that chef
Jamie Oliver could go a long way."
" You're sausages went a long way Slugger," said Steve. "All the way to that new fangled electronic incineration plant
they've built near Harrogate."
"Nuffinck wrong wif my breakfasts", said Slugger." Put hairs on yer chest they did."
"No wonder Dora didn't like 'em then" muttered Ron under his breath.

After breakfast Dora e-mailed the horse girls on their i-phones giving them their instructions for the day.
There were lots of visitors coming to look round the farm, about 12 busloads, many from the continent.
"Make sure you've got all the dinner menu's ready for them Jamie," said Dora," They'll be English, French, Italian
and Germans coming to-day."
"No problem" said Jamie," My Sous chef Heston Blumenthal is getting everything prepared now."

Outside Dora's collection of racehorses were being looked after.
"Don't forget" said Dora to Lord Beck, the stablehand," Kauto Star is in Dressage today."
"All in hand" said Lord Beck, bowing to Dora.

Just then a message came through on Dora's tablet.
"Oh good", she said. "The computerised irregation system's just watered the lightning tree. Don't know how I ever
used to manage with that bucket."
"I can't use these computer things," said Slugger, "Takes me all me time to turn on that 42 inch plasma screen
thingy in me bedroom ."

Suddenly a loud roar was heard.
"What's that noise?" said Dora.
"Oh thats Ron on his Harley", said Steve. "Still, at least with the automated  gate sensor we've got he doesn't
have to kick the gate open with his boots any more, it opens automatically."
"Good job" said Slugger,"We got through 6 gates before that was installed."

"Right", said Dora, "Oh and don't forget theres a board meeting this afternoon at 3 o clock Slugger. I've sent
Steve and Ron an e-mail to remind them. Theres some very interesting items on the agenda that will affect all of us."

To be continued..........

Cut out the strong to help the weak

Offline pete.r.

• Steeplechasing Star
Re: Follyfoot in the year 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
Part 2

At the board meeting Dora, as Managing Director, announced to Steve, Ron and Slugger, the Directors,
the interim profits.
"Over 2 million pounds profit in 6 months, she announced, shares are up 14% to £7.45 a share."
"Blimey you're a millionaire now Slugger me old mate", said Ron, "You can treat yourself to a nice modern electric wheelchair."
"No fanks", said Slugger, I like me old chair."
"You just keep pushin it" said Steve, "Keep you fit Ron, it's the only work you ever do now."
"Oh and I suppose sat behind a computer all day is work is it Steve?" said Ron.
"Order, order", said Dora, "Behave you two, goodness some things never change."
"Anyway" said Ron," I've bought you a new electric wheelchair as a surprise Slugs." Sluggers jaw dropped.

"Right" said Dora," The pay deal on offer this year is 10% rise plus an extra £10,000 bonus each for doing so well."
"Motion carried" they all said unanimously, cheering.

Just then a knock on the door, "Enter", said Dora.
In came chef Jamie Oliver. "Filo baskets and creedy carver duck and avocado canapes, and champagne" he said,
putting them on the table.
"Are they from Sainsbury's", asked Ron.
"No , I made them myself", said Jamie.
"Oh well, live well for less" said Ron.
"Beats salt n vinegar crisps and salted peanuts" said Steve.
"I like crisps n nuts" said Slugger.

"Can we carry on now," said Dora, as they all swilled down the champagne. "Right, the annual Follyfoot dinner and
dance will be at the Savoy, Harrogate."
"We went there last year" said Slugger," Got me wheelchair stuck in the revolving door, went round 15 times before
security were able to turn it off. Couldn't walk straight all night, I was dizzy".
"None of us could walk straight all night" said Ron, "But that was all  the free champagne we drunk".
"Well I'm sorry Slugger", said Dora, "But the Savoy it is".
"One good turn deserves another" said Ron. Everyone laughed except Slugger.

"Right" said Dora," And last on the agenda is new outfits for the staff. Nice blue tops and jeans with the logo of a horse
one side of the top and the lightning tree on the other side".
"What about a little motto on them" said Steve.
"Any offers?" replied Dora.
"How about-Don't muck about, just muck out" said Ron."
"What about-If you're feeling hoarse, go to Follyfoot of course", said Slugger.
"Or maybe- If you fancy a jump, get on my Rump", said Steve.

Dora looked up slowly, crushing a canape in her hand. " I think we'll dispense with the motto's" she said.
Dora finished the minutes on her computer.

Back to work they went. Outside Laura Renwick was returning with the riding school. Lord Beck was sweeping
the yard.

Suddenly, the computerised irrigation system for watering the lightning tree came on but wouldn't stop, Lord Beck
got hosed down, there was water everywhere, everyone got drenched, the visitors were soaked to their skins.
They ran around screaming. The automated gate sensor went haywire, the gate started opening and closing about
twice a second, throwing screaming people in the air.
Dora's computer sent e-mails all around the world offering free trips to Follyfoot with free food, champagne, free riding lessons and a £100.00 gift voucher for everyone.
Sausages rained down on everyone from the new electronic incineration plant.
Sluggers new electric wheelchair started up on it's own and chased everyone around the farm at about 50 miles an hour.
Sluggers 42 inch plasma screen telly blew up and came flying through the window.
It was chaos, everyone trying to avoid the telly, wheelchair, gate sausages and water.

"Stop,  stop", cried Dora, "Just stop".
"Are you sure you're alright" said Steve.
Dora opened her eyes. She was sat at the table.
"Oh Steve" she said," I was just daydreaming, just imagining what it would be like in 40 years time at Follyfoot" .
"And what was it like" replied Steve.
"Oh it was terrible" said Dora, all computers and modern technology running everything".
"That'll never happen" said Steve.
"No", said Dora and then the computers and modern technology took over from us humans, it was awful".
"That'll definitely never happen" said Steve.

"Or will it...........?"

THE END

Cut out the strong to help the weak