Author Topic: An Eye for an Eye  (Read 1848 times)

Offline pete.r.

• Steeplechasing Star
An Eye for an Eye
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »
A story in two parts.

PART ONE

For the last few evenings a strange tap tap tap sound could be heard coming from Dora's room every few minutes.
"I think she's got a motorbike in there" laughed Ron," probably rebuilding one just like I did".
"Gawd hope not" said Slugger, "One bike around here's enough".
"No, not a bike" said Steve. "I think she's taken up tap dancing" he said, a big grin on his face.
"Oh yeah" said Slugger, "Can just see Dora tap dancing across the yard at mucking out time, I don't fink".
         Just then Dora rushed out of her room. "I've done it" she said, "I've done it."
"Done what?" said Ron, "Re-built a motor bike".
"Learnt to tap dance?" said Steve.
"No silly," said Dora," I've learnt to type".
"Learned to type" they all replied as one.
"Yes all by myself", Dora replied, "It's my new hobby, look".
Steve Ron and Sluggers heads all peered round the door. On the table sat an old typewriter. It looked something like a museum piece. Strewn around the floor were dozens of sheets of paper, all with bits of typed words on them.
"And here's a story done by myself" said Dora, picking up a pile of typed sheets from the table.
         "Can we read it?", said Steve almost mockingly. Just then the Colonel entered the room.
"Well, I don't know" said Dora. She thought for a few seconds.
"Oh, all right then, see what you think,It's my first attempt".
Dora spread the sheets on the table in order. So they all stood round and bent down, and open-mouthed in anticipation began to read.

AN EYE FOR AN EYE

Today was a sunny day, Dora's story started. We were all busy early on. Slugs had to sweep the yard, he had a worn out brush to sweep up any mess.
"You've cleaned up more muck stuck to your boots than on that brush Slugger me old mate" chuckled  Ron.
"Oh Slugs", laughed Dora.
"Aren't we supposed to do some work" Steve retorted.
"You speak for yourself" Dora shouted. "We've not stopped for the last couple of hours. Lets have a break".
"Not burnt toast and eggs surely?" Ron asked Slugger.
"Cause, said Slugger, good for you eggs are".
Not for our stomachs they all thought.
At the table Ron had a motor cycle book to read, forgot where the seat was and ended up full of breakfast all over the place.
"Thats what you call egg on your face" chuckled Steve. Ron scowled . Everyone laughed.
They all sat down. Crunch, chomp, munch, the sound of blackened toast. Ron and Steve every now and then had to
duck to steer clear of the dangerous toasted shrapnel.
         After breakfast Ron produced a pot plant from under the table, red floral paper wrapped around the base and
proudly gave the plant to Dora.
"Whats that?" Dora asked.
"A present for you M'lady" came the reply.
"AAAARGH" Screamed Dora, as half a dozen ugly beetles emerged from the plant.
Dora dropped the plant on the floor. Ron Steve and Slugger looked blankly at Dora.
"Oh sorry Ron" Dora uttered, and bent down and scooped up the bedraggled and broken flower.
"What a lovely plant" Dora echoed, as she proudly observed what was left, just a broken stem. "Thank you Ron".
"You're welcome M'lady", Ron answered.
Steve had to put hand to mouth to stop an uncontrollable laugh.
Oh my gawd, Slugger thought, more mess to clean up, better get the brush.
         Later that day the Colonel called to say another horse needed Follyfoots help.
"Found her down the meadow, she's homeless, no-one to look after her, just been dumped there".
"No problem" Dora answered softly,"We can look after her".
Dora found a spare stable, lovely and warm, plenty of food and water.
"Whats her name?" Steve asked.
"Don't know", came the reply. "How about Lucky?".
"Sounds good to me" Steve beamed. "Very apt name".
         And so the day ended on a happy note. We had a few laughs today, got myself a plant, and Lucky was Lucky thought Dora.
                                                 END OF STORY
Well, any comments? asked Dora.
Steve looked puzzled.
"The title Dora ",he said.
"What does an eye for an eye have to do with your story. I can't understand it".
"Oh," said Dora, she looked down , embarrassed.
"Can't you tell?", the Colonel said, havn't you spotted it?".
"No" said Steve, shaking his head.
"Anybody?", asked the Colonel. "Don't forget, I do the Times crossword everyday".
They all stood dumbfounded.
"Dora's story, look " said the Colonel, there's not the letter "i"in it anywhere.

To be continued..........
Cut out the strong to help the weak

Offline pete.r.

• Steeplechasing Star
Re: An Eye for an Eye
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
PART 2

They all leaned forward and looked closely at the sheets of paper.
"The Colonel's right", said Steve.
"Blimey", said Slugger.
"Crikey", said Ron.
"Why isn't there an "i" anywhere?" asked Steve.
"Well", Dora explained, "That letter was broke on the keyboard so I couldn't use it. I couldn't type the letter "i".
Steve looked mused.
Ron looked amused.
Slugger looked bemused.
"Well theres only one answer" said the Colonel. "Oh great," said Dora, "You'll buy me a new   typewriter Uncle?"."Good Lord no", he replied, "This can be your trademark Dora, writing stories without an "i".
Yes , you could be famous. A great trademark, carry on Dora".
The Colonel turned round, puffing on his pipe, a mischevious glint in his eyes.
"Goodnight, see you tomorrow".
        There seemed an endless silence.
         Eventually Steve spoke. "What are you going to write about next?" he asked sarcastically.
"Maybe", said Ron,"It'll be a story about investigations into intimidating interviewers insulting intelligent individuals
in Indonesia".
Ron and Steve tried to keep a straight face. Dora looked at them, then her face turned into angry mode.
"Right, thats it then," she said, "I'm finished with this writing stories thingy. I'm going to concentrate on what I do best,
looking after my horses". Dora folded her arms and stood and sulked.
"Now look what you've gawn and done", said Slugger."You've upset Dora".
         Suddenly in rushed the Colonel. "I've just had a phone call" he said. "Great news, I've just found out who owns that horse,the one you call" Lucky," Dora. She belongs to Lord Beck, and apparently is worth a fortune, Lord Beck's going to
give us a huge reward for finding her, that'll help keep Follyfoot going for years".
"What's her name"? said Dora.
"Any Year One Fee" said the Colonel" Because Lord Beck says he can get any amount of money for her anytime"
         Steve stood there, deep in thought, pondering. Then he sat at the table with one of Dora's sheets of paper and a pen,
working something out.
"What's up?" said Dora.
"Can't you tell" Steve said, havn't you spotted it?".
"No," they all said.
"Well," said Steve, "I don't do the Times crossword any day, but I noticed it".
"What"? they all said together.
"Any Year One  Fee", said Steve. "It's an anagram of "An Eye for an Eye".
" Good Lord", said the Colonel.
"Flippin 'eck" said Slugger."
"Bimey oh Riley", said Ron.
"Well, good gracious me," said the Colonel. "Amazing. Can't believe it Dora. To think that the title of your story came true
in an anagram. Amazing".
       Ron was sitting at the table with Steve's pen and paper, frantically scribbling away.
He rose slowly, and walked over to Dora, the piece of paper in his hand.
"How'd you like to earn twenty quid Dora"?, he said in a serious voice.
"Twenty pounds ", said Dora, "What do I have to do?".
"Just make sure that the next story you write is entitled" Stan now on poor shingle" he said, looking at his bit of paper.
"Whatever for ?", asked Dora.
"Because", said Ron , Thats an anagram of "Ron's gonna win the pools".
        All went quiet for a second, then a cheeky grin appeared on Ron's face.
"Oh Ron", said Dora.
"Got you going there girl for a minute didn't I," said Ron.
Then they all laughed together.
Then Dora said "Time we got back to work everyone".

THE END

Cut out the strong to help the weak