Author Topic: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum  (Read 31936 times)

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
Re: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
It was now around 1. 30am and the small party had been exploring the open darkness for nearly an hour. The air was damp and cold and the vast trees seemed to lean over and reach out to them. This impromto expedition had been decided on the spur of the moment and Ron was happy to lead on with his gaslamp in one hand and a shovel in the other. Amelia and Cissie both carried gaslamps, whilst Steve and Dora used their torches. Steve was unusually quiet.

Any one of the myriad of sillohetted trees could hold a secret, hidden treasure for centuries, in which no living soul could possibly be made aware of. The moon began to appear through the blackened clouds and shone downwards onto the treetops and the tangled branches, that in part, made up the many ancient acred, Witherby Woods.

Ron had kept saying, 'It must be this way-I'm sure it is.' 'We need to go this way.'

Finally Dora uttered, 'Oh lets go home Ron-this is a complete waste of time.'

'Listen, said Ron assertively, I remember seeing this ghost, hide this candlelabra underneath a rock.'

This was the first time Ron had ever told anyone about the mysterious encounter with a phantom, during the late dusk -lit hours-that privately, had terrified him for nearly ten years.

Steve suddenly said, 'Oh dont be daft Ron, I agree with Dora-let's all get back home.'

The two old ladies chuckled together and likewise agreed. Amelia said, 'We have plenty of seperate bedrooms at Witherby Hall-you are all welcome to stay there tonight. We can then have another look tomorrow morning, when it is lighter. Ron reluctantly agreed and being the gentleman, helped the elderly ladies back through the trees and into the direction of the mansion. Dora and Steve closely followed benind. The full moon shone brightly and Dora could tell there was now a gleam in Steve's eyes. She held onto him tightly.     

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
As he approached the gates to the hall Lewis cut the engine-he didn't give the twin cat statues that sat on top of the posts a second glance, didn't notice that they turned their heads round or that a faint green light flashed a signal from both pairs of eyes. The cats which had gone into the house with the sisters hissed and arched their backs. 'An intruder sister' said Amelia.'Shall we call on our four legged friends?'
'Let us first see who it is then perhaps we'll know who or what he wants. '  The path which Lewis was following was illumined by the green lights which were now intensified. Steve and Uncle Tom stood where Lewis could see them-or rather could see Steve. In a sepulchral voice Tom boomed 'Who are you and what's your business here in my home?'
'Come on Steve- you can't scare me by putting on a voice. 'I want to know if you or Ron dobbed me in to the cops because if so you're gonna suffer'
Steve would have gone nearer - Tom stayed him but walked noiselessly towards Lewis and breathed coldness over his whole body. He spoke again.
'So- you were involved in that disgusting display in my stables earlier on were you? Whoever brought down the forces of the law did me a great service. If it's revenge you're after I'd forget it if I were you- unless of course you want to have the curse of the phantom felines on you.'
'N-n-no' said Lewis. 'I think I'd rather forget the whole thing.' Tom laughed,  Amelia and Cissie standing in the open doorway surrounded by cats waved their arms at Lewis and cackled menacingly.
'Forget this- never' they chanted in unison as Lewis turned and fled. ' Now Tom-let's let our young friends get some sleep so in the morning you can show  Steve his destiny?'
 Dora had been staring intensely at the area near where Steve was standing and now the figure of a man was becoming a little clearer.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Cissie was fussing about in the house, making beds with clean linen.  She spoke to the cats who were following her closely around the rooms.  "Now my pretties you can't stay in this room tonight.... this is for Stephen and Dora and they won't want cat hairs all over the place.  Go, shoo, shoo, my pretty ones."  The cats once again seemed to disappear in an extraordinarily quick time.  Cissie giggled as she met Amelia at the top of the stairs.  "What have you been up to Cissie." her sister questionned.  Cissie giggled again.  "I've made the room up Amelia, for Stephen and Dora."  Amelia shook her head.  "Really Cissie... do you think they're ready?"  "Oh yes, Amelia, they have the aura about them." Cissie said excitedly.  "Well, I don't know whether they'll share the same room Cissie."  "They will Amelia... I can see the signs in Stephen.  He's just like his father... and uncle Tom's going to help me."  "Well, Cissie, just don't let him know he was conceived in that room or you'll never get him in there."  Cissie giggled again and made Amelia smile.  "They'll make such wonderful parents Amelia, won't they?" Amelia nodded.  "Yes Cissie, they will.  But when they choose!"  Amelia walked past Cissie towards her own room and Cissie smiled to herself - they're ready... they have the aura.  

Cissie showed Ron into his room in the East Wing then she took Dora and Steve over to the West Wing and opened the door into a large room.  She had lit the open fire which warmed and lit the room, along with two oil lamps either side of the bed.  There was a porcelain bowl and jug standing on the dresser by the window, filled with hot water, and flannels, soap, towels, toothpaste and two toothbrushes were neatly placed on one of the shelves.  The bed was a very large four-poster, the covers turned back, allowing the sheets to be aired.  "You'll be in here Stephen." she said.  Steve smiled.  "Thanks, it's lovely." he exclaimed, looking around the pleasant room.  Cissie smiled.  "Now Dora dear, you'll be a way away from Stephen, up at the top.  It used to be the servants' quarters years ago."  Cissie could see that Dora was not happy about being far away and when, as if exactly on cue, thunder began rumbling in the distance and a flash of lightning lit up the house, Dora looked decidedly worried.  Steve could see her anguish. "I'll come with you and see where you're going to be." he smiled at her.  Dora managed to smile back and nodded her head.  She and Steve followed Cissie to the room way above Steve's at the top of the house. The thunder was closer now and every time the lightning flashed, Dora thought she could see the shape of a man standing in her room.  Cissie had left them now and Dora was sitting on her bed.  "You OK girl?  Steve asked her.  Dora looked up at him.  "Steve, I'm scared." she said sadly.  He sat next to her and put his arm around her shoulders.  "What's there to be scared about?" he asked softly.  She looked into his eyes, tears beginning to well in her eyes, and just as a clap of thunder exploded right above the house, she flung her arms around Steve's neck and clung to him tightly.  Steve held her, closing his eyes and once more breathing in her scent.  Then he put his hands on her shoulders and looked at her.  "How about you come and share with me tonight?" he said, not expecting Dora to agree, but she nodded quickly as soon as he said it.  "Oh yes Steve, please, I'd feel so much better."  They went back down to the room and closed the door behind them.  Cissie watched from around the corner.  Next to her Uncle Tom smiled.  

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »
Dora snuggled down next to Steve. She was still fully clothed, using the cold evening as an excuse not to get undressed. Thunder suddenly boomed over-head and Dora gasped, clutching Steve even tighter. “It’s O.K. Dora, don’t panic. Nothing’s going to happen. I’m here to protect you, remember?”  She sighed and opened her eyes, looking shyly at him, suddenly aware of his firm body close to hers. She felt herself blushing. As lighting flashed across the sky illuminating the room, something caught her eye. She leapt up clutching the bedcovers close to her. “Steve, there’s someone sitting on that chair!”

“Don’t be silly Dora, there’s no one in the room with us.” Steve pulled her back down, but Dora was not going to be placated this time. “There’s someone there I tell you! she shouted. Steve sighed and turned his head and to his surprise saw Uncle Tom sitting in an old Victorian chair next to the window.
“Oh! Um… Uncle Tom I didn’t realise you were there. Did you want something?”

Dora could clearly see the man now. So Steve wasn’t going potty, he really was talking to “someone.”

Uncle Tom smiled at them both. “Sorry old chap, I just wanted to make sure you and the young lady were both comfortable before I turned in for the night. Sweet dreams both of you! He winked before vanishing through the wall.

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »
Lewis had decided he had over- re-acted. Curse of the Phantom Felines- whatever next! Well if he couldn't take revenge on Steve or Ron  there was still another way. If he was quiet he wouldn't disturb Slugger. He'd take it out on the horses. His headlamps lit up the catseyes at the sides of the road. That was strange- he didn't remember that this stretch of road had catseyes! He was approaching Follyfoot. As he turned down the road leading to the farm he glanced back. The catseyes were moving- it seemed that all those he'd passed on the way were now following him. The farmyard was bathed in that eerie green glow he's seen at the hall and then the miaowing started- softly at first then growing louder and louder till it seemed to be inside his head. If they didn't shut up they would wake the old fool inside up. 'You'll wait.' he said and turned his bike towards home. The catseyes once again lined his route. When he put his bike away he looked to see if he'd been followed but they seemed to have faded away into the darkness. As he was about to go indoors a black ball of fur curled itself round his legs and he seemed to hear a voice saying 'Forget tonight- never' The cat disentangled itself and sat down outside the front door as if on guard. He went inside, locked the door and went up to his room. Looking out of the window he saw the cat was still there and another had stationed itself outside the shed where his bike was. Every few minutes one cat would miaow and the other would respond. In spite of the lateness of the hour Lewis turned on his radio but he could still hear them. He threw himself down on his bed fully clothed and put his head under the pillow and lay like this till he fell into an exhausted sleep,
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »
The colonel was walking about in his dressing gown, he had just spoken to Burt, the local beat bobby on the telephone, who had refered about the midnight police raid on Whitherby Hall, earlier on. The Colonel had mentioned to him also, that Slugger had not seen either Steve nor Dora that evening but was convinced both were at Witherby Hall.

Burt had taken note and had reassured the Colonel that an officer in that area would call at Witherby Hall, first thing in the morning to check if they were there and that everything was alright.

The Colonel sat down again and re-lit his pipe and began to wonder whether there was indeed anything in this story about the Golden Candlelabrum. 'Ha, I expect they hope to find it-including Ron , I suppose,' he muttered aloud to himself. The Colonel took a small sip of his brandy and began to poke the fire. The flames once more came back to life, and flickered intently, casting moving, shadows across the walls and ceiling of the studyroom. The shadows seemed to resemble 'witches' and 'cats' -not that the Colonel had noticed- and other strange shapes that 'danced' around in regular 'harmony'. The Colonel sighed, took another sip and getting up, reached over and placed a guard over the open fire. The Colonel was finally off to bed! He would give Witherby Hall a visit- first thing in the morning, he thought.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
Dora lay wide awake and in between the loud claps of thunder, she listened to Steve's breathing, which somehow comforted her.  A flash of lightning lit the blackness of the room once again.  This was not how she had envisaged the first time of sleeping with Steve.  Another clap of thunder sent shivers down her spine and she closed her eyes tightly and clung onto the sheet which she was wringing in her hands. 

Steve was not asleep either.  He never did sleep through thunder storms.  He could feel Dora fidgeting next to him and knew she was still awake too.  He turned over and touched her hand.  She jumped and screamed.  Steve held her hand softly in his.  "Hey, it's only me... and I'm no ghost." he said.  She squeezed his hand.  "I'll stoke the fire up." he said and leapt out of bed.  As the flames lit the room more permanently, she watched Steve in the flickering light.  He had his jeans on but no top and she admired the muscles in his arms flexing as he poked at the fire.  He was strong, she knew that, and she suddenly felt very safe with him near her.  She sat up and propped herself against the pillows as he jumped back into bed.  He smiled at her.  "Better now?" he asked.  She nodded and smiled back at him.  Neither of them looked away and Dora could feel herself blushing as Steve's eyes looked deeply into hers, she hoped not reading her thoughts, which were galloping out of control! 

Steve so wanted to take her in his arms again and keep her safe but he felt like he would be taking advantage of the situation and it wasn't how he wanted it to be with Dora.  He had noticed her reddening cheeks, wondering if it was because of the now roaring fire or whether she was feeling shy and embarrassed being in bed with him. 

"Shall I sleep in the chair." he asked her.  "You may be able to sleep better on your own."  Dora so wanted him to stay with her but she didn't know how to tell him so she just nodded and Steve pinched a blanket off the bed and settled into the chair. 

He closed his eyes and tried desperately to concentrate on sleeping but Dora was there in his mind all the time and he found himself wanting her more and more.  He seemed to have no choice... he would go back to bed and back to Dora but as he rose from the chair he was shocked to see Dora standing in front of him.  He took her in his arms and kissed her tenderly. Then he picked her up and carried her to the bed.

They didn't see the black cat jump onto the warm cushion of the chair that Steve had vacated, turn itself around to find its most comfortable position and lay down to sleep. 

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »
The Colonel began to snore loudly as the thunderstorm gradually became louder. A big flash lit up his bedroom, then after a few more seconds, a large, deafening bang, thundered and rumbled forthwith; and seemed to shake the very walls and foundations of the Colonel's abode. Instantly he awoke and realised his dream was not from the sounds of 'enemy fire' and artillery round-but rather, mother nature herself, reminding all lesser mortals below, that 'she' was the real controller of things-and not men with machines and tanks and bombs!

The Colonel was by now, clearly wide awake. He rolled over and checked his alarm clock. It was 3. 25am. This was a time,in which the Colonel had not anticipated and had hoped instead that it was nearer 5am. He further realised, as the rain poured down outside his bedroom window, that Dora and Steve were both possibly outside in the cold, taking cover against the elements!

'Oh, I do hope Dora and Steve have not been caught out in this blessed thunderstorm and are perhaps safely tucked away in bed somewhere.' Indeed, the Colonel's thoughts were not far off the mark.........

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
Ron paced around his room in the East wing. It was cold and smelt damp. He placed both hands on the small mantelpiece and stared down into the empty grate. Just his luck to get this shabby room he thought. The curtains were rotten, the carpet thread-bare and as for the bed, he doubted he would kip in that. The mattress was lumpy and the sheets were stained with mildew.

Footsteps sounded in the corridor outside. He opened the bedroom door slightly and peered into the gloom. He could just make out the backs of three figures walking away in the faint glow of a gently hissing gas lamp. He recognised Amelia and Cissie, but who was the third person? Definitely a man, and dressed in old-fashioned clothes too. Curiosity got the better of him. He quietly slipped into the corridor and followed at a safe distance. On and on they went, down this corridor and that, passing room after room. Eventually they stopped outside a heavy wooden door. Cissie fumbled with a large key, dropping it on the stone floor with a thud. “Tut, tut, butterfingers!” admonished Amelia, whilst scrabbling about on the floor in an undignified manner, her large bottom in the air. Uncle Tom looked politely away and shut his eyes. Ron, waiting impatiently for this pantomime to finish, stared hard at the man and felt a cold shiver run up and down his spine as the man suddenly opened his eyes, looked straight at Ron and smiled. Meanwhile, the sisters had opened the door and disappeared down a flight of stone steps. “After you old chap” the man nodded his head towards the open doorway. Ron felt a strange force was pushing him down the stairs. He found himself in a dank basement where the two sisters were giggling over a large wooden chest. Amelia heaved opened the heavy lid and Cissie lunged in, pulling out an object wrapped in a filthy sheet. “Ta da!” shrieked Cissie, waving the object above her head. “Come and look at this Ron!”  Slowly she unravelled the sheet and Ron stared in awe at the Golden Candelabrum.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
'Blimey-if it aint the Golden Candlelabrum itself! 'An I thought it was buried under a tree somewhere back in them woods of yours.' Ron was wide-eyed and began to be drawn in by it's incredible beauty.

Cissie laughed and declared, 'Oh it is Ron! The one I have here, belongs to yours in the woods-as a pair!'

'Yer mean there's actually two of 'em-an' not the one?'

'Yes- and mind you don't tell anyone, young man.' Cissie narrowed her eyes and continued, 'this one was stolen by the sailors who murdered our family decendant, but was retrieved one day because someone had left it on Witherby's very own doorstep, about a year later.' 'And do you know why, Ron?'

Ron shook his head, 'I've no idea luv'.

'It's because it's cursed!'- Amelia shouted out.

Cissie continued, 'Amelia and I have always keep this one safely locked away-just as our beloved family members have done so for hundreds of years because it has the blood stains of an innocent, God -fearing child who had once protected it.'  Ron was becoming nervous. 'The Squires daughter had loyaly tried to hide this one in the mansion itself but was tortured by those devilish sailors who eventually got what they sought.' Her beloved father was said to have buried the other candlelabrum underneath a large rock, some distance away, within the forest-before he too was tortued and finally murdered.'

Amelia added, 'They blinded the poor girl- only before she gave them this! Her blooded tears had fallen onto the golden candles and now her restless spirit guards this treasure for all time.' The note wrapped up with this had declared it had brought nothing but endless woe and sorrow and finally death for those who held this.' It is so important that the other candlelabrum can be found, so that father and daughter may be united again and the curse lifted.' 'Are you willing to help us, Ron?'

Ron was now shaking with fear.   

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
'M-me- why me? I thought Steve was the golden boy round here' 'steve has more important things to do' said Cissie. 'yeah i just bet he has - look you said yourselves- we can't go mucking about in the dark-' look at the candlestick Ron' said Tom. 'It is shining with a special light. It is actively seeking it's twin.'
'Yeah well as you seem to know everything there is to know it's best that you do the deed. ' 'One of us must hold it to show the way. The curse cannot hurt us provided we do not hold the candlestick for more than half an hour at a time.' 'What about Tom then- it can't touch him- he's a ghost!' 'I have to safeguard .Steve and Dora. There are forces that would seek to interfere with their destiny. All you have to do Ron is follow the light.' 'Yeah? And who may I ask is going to protect me?' 'Trust us and come outside' 'Trust you- why should I?' 'There will of course be a reward.' said Cissie. The candlestick had started to twitch.' Quick Amelia- take it. ' 'Come Ron- we can only keep the candlestick out of it's hiding place until dawn. If we don't find what we're seeking by then it must return till night falls again. 'But why didn't you come and get it before?' 'No more questions Ron- fetch the spade- no artificial light will be needed.'
Outside the light emitted by the candlestick intensified. Ron reluctantly picked up the spade he'd had earlier and followed the sisters. To the left and right of him there formed two rows of huge black cats their green eyes adding their own light. Meanwhile Tom took up his place outside the bedroom where Steve and Dora were still awake. The glow from outside shone in at their window. Steve tried to get out of bed to investigate but his legs were leaden. The cat which had been sleeping on the chair leapt onto the bed and settled itself down again on the pillow behind Steve's head.It did not go back to sleep but lay with it's eyes open and it's ears pricked. There came the sound of the most horrible wailing that seemed to be coming from the walls themselves. Dora clung tightly to Steve who seemed to hear Tom's voice saying.' It's time Steven. '
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:41 PM »

“Get on with it Steven, there’s a good chap, dash it all, I haven’t got all night to wait around here you know!” Uncle Tom was trying to exert his power over Steve.

“No, No, No!” Steve shouted furiously. And suddenly the room went very still and quiet. The cats had disappeared and so it seemed had Uncle Tom.

Steve felt as if he was awakening from a bad dream. He realised just in time that evil powers were at work in this strange old mansion.

“Come on Dora, we’re going” he said abruptly.

“Going? It’s the middle of the night! Lie down again next to me; we don’t need to rush off just yet.” Steve spun round quickly, that didn’t sound like Dora! Her impish smile mocked him “Just one little kiss Steve, that’s all I want” she teased. He gazed into her green almond shaped eyes and felt himself being drawn down towards her luscious lips….

He sat up suddenly, as whoops of joy could be heard from outside. “I’ve found it, Amelia, look here it is!”

Ron! He yanked Dora up from the bed “Get dressed, we are leaving now! I think Ron’s in danger”

Dora felt a bit strange, what was the matter with her? Why was she behaving like this?

“You O.K.? he asked her gently. “Sorry to be so rough with you before, but we need to get away from this evil place.”

Dora nodded dumbly. Then a thought struck her. “What about those poor horses! We must rescue them!”

Steve rolled his eyes, “That’s my Dora!” he grinned.

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
As usual Slugger was up early. The cold seemed to seep into his bones and he chivvied the fire into a comforting blaze and set the kettle to boil. He looked outside-the landrover was not there. He checked Dora's bedroom and Steve's loft- no sign of anyone. He checked the stables- all the horses were safe in their stalls. It was much too early for Ron. He went indoors, made tea and cradled it between his hands. Where were Dora and Steve? The ringing of the phone broke into his thoughts- it was the colonel asking about his niece and Steve. 'Just been finking I ought to phone yer colonel. There's no sign of anyone else- I'm all on me Slugger Jones!' 'Right- I'm coming over in the car. I'll help you with the horses and then we're going out to the hall.'
Mercifully the rain had eased and a weak sun was beginning to break through the clouds. The colonel drove into through the hall gates. 'Don't go too close colonel- this place is scary- we need to move quietly- here come this way through the trees. 'Good heavens- it's the landrover' said the colonel - it must mean Steve's here.' 'I remember this path from when I worked here- leads round the back- but you can see the front of the house from just around the next bend. They crept along keeping as low to the ground as their creaky bones would allow. 'Them there on the right are the stables' said Slugger. As they got closer they could hear a  man's voice. 'There now my beauties- I won't let anyone take you.' Slugger peered through a crack but could see neither man nor beast at first then in the corner he thought he could see something. Then he heard a familiar voice.' 'Let me go you old witch- you can have the blessed candle thingy I sure as heck don't want it. You'd better let me go now- you've got what you wanted!'  'Go Ron? I don't think so. You and your friends have seen and heard too much.' 'She must mean Steve and Dora' said the colonel. Here are the spare keys to the landrover- you know the way better than I do- bring it as close as you dare. ' 'What are you going to do Colonel?' 'At the moment I'll hide and keep watch. There should be a policeman here soon' If necessary he can radio for backup- now off you go.' The sisters were now pushing Ron towards the house. He thought to himself- if only I can get yo my bike
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:44 PM »
Previously, Ron and the old ladies had ventured once more into the deep woods that surrounded Witherby Hall. Ron had been in effect forced to find the other Golden Candlelabrum but on this particular 'adventure' and although the other candlelabrum was seemingly leading the way, as it glowed mysteriously ( as if it had batteries plugged inside to create the illusion it could light up all on it's own) Ron already had other ideas. He had decided, that in the event of other people searching for the Golden Candlelabrum he would pick up an old second hand one-and paint it gold-and hide it underneath a rock! Which he had already done so.

Like clockwork, Ron led the old ladies to the fake candlestick holder and reconising the area, suddenly declared, 'It's here, underneath that rock!' Ron bent down and proceeded to dig it out in the dim light. A golden glint soon shone out from the soil, as Ron retrieved the fake.'There -are you now satisfied?' 'I'm heading off home now-you can keep yer flamin' candle holders -I wish I'd never set eyes on them,nor this place!'

Cissie squinted and glared at Ron, 'Oh no your not, young Ronny-your going to escort us back to the house, like a good chap that we know you are.' Ron sighed and knowing he had cunningly duped the sisters, he had willingly obliged. The light was beginning to fade from the real golden candlelabra, as the dawn began to emerge..... 

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
The Colonel was peering through the trees and noted a middle aged man along with the two old ladies grasping two golden candlelabrums. Ron appeared to be walking in front. They all eventually went inside the manor and the door was shut behind them with a loud thud. 'What the devil is Ron up to now?'- thought the Colonel aloud. The Colonel decided it was best to wait until reinforcements had arrived before he would venture towards the manor itself. Sure enough Slugger arrived and crouched himself by the Colonel.

'Cor did you hear that Colonel, my old bones are creaking merrily away.'

'Yes Slugger, I did indeed. I know the feeling-I'm afraid we're not as young as we once were.' Look Ron has been coerced to go inside by those Witherby Hall sistors and another fellow. 'Ron seemed non-plussed. I suspect he has his own plans to escape. But I'm beginning to be more than concerned for Steve and Dora.' That bobby should be along shortly, we will wait just a little longer- then the three of us will make our prescence felt.'

Inside the manor, the sistors by now had realised the golden candlelabra Ron had dug up earlier was clearly a fake. 'Amelia hissed at Ron, 'So you think you could double cross us now?'

Ron replied, 'Yeah, I do, as a matter of fact, I don't care what you all plan to do wiv' me luv cos I can look after myself see.'  On this occasion Ron was quite serious, and instead of fear he had experianced earlier on in the cellar, he had now become  sceptical of everything that had happened before him and felt the game would soon be up for the old witches and 'Mr Tom Cobbley and all'.............