Author Topic: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum  (Read 32243 times)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
Amelia and Cissie left their bodies as the flames wrapped around them.  They floated high above, looking down on the grim scene below.  They weren't afraid - this was their destiny now that they had found him.  They each smiled as a familiar figure took their hands.  Uncle Tom had been waiting for them.

Someone's got to care

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »
The Police came early to Follyfoot and broke the news of the sisters' demise.  "They just ran together into the flames." said Bert, still sounding traumatised by the event.  "Come in and have some breakfast Bert." said the Colonel, ushering him through the farmhouse door.  Steve pulled up an extra chair for their unexpected guest.  Over breakfast (which was probably not the best place to do it) Bert told them the grizzly story.  Dora pushed her plate away, not wanting to eat but Ron tucked into hers too. "Shame to waste it." he said.  Dora noticed how sad Steve looked.  Whatever the sisters had done, Dora couldn't help liking them and she knew Steve was very fond of them too.  It was a sad day. 

Later in the morning, when all the work was done, Steve found Dora sitting by the lake.  "Dora, let's go back." he said simply.  Dora looked at him and shook her head.  "I don't know Steve.  Isn't it better to wait a bit longer.  What's the point now Amelia and Cissie are gone?"  Steve sighed a heavy sigh.  "I know" he said, "but there's a reason for everything and I know there was a reason why Amelia and Cissie..."  his voice tailed off and Dora stood up and put her arms around him, holding him tightly.  "It's alright Steve, we'll go.  Just give me a minute to speak to Uncle and Slugger."  Dora ran off and Steve went to his room.  He recovered the old Bible from its hiding place under the bed and carefully unwrapped it.  This time he was taking it with him.  He knew he had been given it for a purpose.  Could it contain the answer to everything, he wondered.

Steve and Dora jumped into the Land Rover and just as Steve pulled away, the white cat appeared on the back seat.   

Someone's got to care

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:47 PM »
'Silly young devils' said the colonel- off again to that infernal place without a thought for the horses. I don't know what's got into them. ' Ron rose from the table. 'Are you going to make a start on the horses Ron?' asked the colonel.' Well actually- i've got some unfinished business at the hall too. A certain golden candelabrum.' 'Is the place safe Bert?' 'Well all the outbuildings were completely destroyed but the house itself didn't get much damage . There's still some men in the grounds keeping watch for Jeannette and Duncan. Techically I suppose she owns the place now so anyone else would be trespassing.
Uncle Tom sat in the back of the landrover . The white cat miaowed loudly. Dora turned round. 'Uncle Tom- what are you doing here?' 'Pull over, Stephen.' he said. Steve pulled off the road. 'You know that Amelia and Cissie have 'come over' of course? ' 'Yes- but we don't understand why they didn't escape- there was no need for them to die like that.' 'They knew it was their destiny. Because of their strong family link with Jeannette they can haunt her and stop her from interfering with what you have to do. You'll need to start with a little Bible Study. Look carefully inside the pages.' 'Uncle Tom- why must you talk in riddles. You know more than you're saying.' 'Man must work out his own destiny but I will tell you this. The candelabrum must be found but we now believe that it is not hidden outside but in the house.' At that moment Ron rode past on his bike. Uncle Tom cursed and disappeared. Steve drove into the grounds of the hall and they surveyed the damage done by the fire. 'All those lovely stables- reduced to ashes- not to mention Cissie and Amelia.' They got out. Steve picked up the Bible and opened it and began to carefully turn the pages. The cat purred her approval. In between two pages he found a map of the house.
Written on the back were some numbers. Steve frowned.'What about if they are page numbers?' asked Dora. The cat purred again. Steve looked up the first one. The words 'writing on the wall' had been underlined. The second page number had the words 'upper room' underlined. The last page revealed the words 'seek and ye shall find.' They looked at the map and identified the room which had been prepared for them a few days earlier. The room on the next floor directly above it was marked with a cross. Making their way to the house they passed Ron who had a spade with him. He seemed to think that because the stables had been destroyed it meant that there was something there which someone didn't want found . He was going to start his search there. Telling the policeman on duty that they had left something inside Dora and Steve entered the house through the back door so they could avoid the kitchen. Following the map they made their way to the staircase where the grandfather clock was. The white cat had followed them. They passed the portrait Ron had seen. Steve stared at it open mouthed  and Dora almost fainted as she looked from the portrait to Steve. From the top of the stairs a voice said ' Can I help you?' The door in the grandfather clock opened again and a jet black cat jumped out. The white cat arched her back and hissing and spitting launched herself at it in a frenzied attack.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
The two cats span around in a mad ball of furr, claws and tails. Above their blood-curdling screams the voice called out again:

"Can I help you?"

Dora and Ron looked up to see a maid in Victorian clothes. She was holding a feather duster which she flung at the fighting cats. There was a fierce "Rroow!" and the black cat detached itself from the white one and jumped onto an old stool near the grandfather clock. The white cat hissed, stretched and started to lick its battered fur.

"Who are you?" asked Dora.

"I'm Betty. You must be the young couple her Ladyship was telling me about. Your room is ready - just follow me!" Steve glanced at Dora, who motioned that he should follow her, and they both started up the stairs behind Betty in her voluminous skirt. Behind them, the white cat scampered up the stairs.

Betty did not pause at the first landing, but carried on up to the next floor and led them halfway along a dingy corridor where mouldering family portraits hung in dusty gilt frames. At last she came to a door. "Here you are!" she said. She pushed the door open with a creak. "I'll leave you to make yourselves at home. I've got to get her Ladyship's tea ready!"

Dora looked around. There could be no doubt that this was the room marked on the map that Steve had found in the Bible. There was an ancient four-poster bed, a washstand with a large china jug, a tallboy, two small cabinets, a sagging armchair and a large oak chest. Everthing was covered with dust and cobwebs. The white cat jumped onto the bed and said "Miaoww!"

"Oh! Steve!" wailed Dora, nestling close to him. "What do we do now?"

At that moment there was the sound of a gunshot from somewhere outside.

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Steve was holding onto one of the bedposts and the shot caused him to make an involuntary movement of his hand. A panel in the wall swung open revealing another room beyond.' Come on Steve- let's explore' said Dora walking through. 'Hang on- let's make sure we can open it from the other side. I'll shut it- see if you can open it. If you're not out within a few minutes I'll open it from this side. Dora soon re-appeared. It's okay- there's a button in there and the door opened as soon as I pressed it.' Steve joined her and she pressed the button again. The door closed. 'How exciting- a secret room.' said Dora ' Which must have been used regularly or the door wouldn't have opened and closed so easily. You have to wonder how many people know about it. Was it just Amelia and Cissie or does Jeannie know? And who exactly fired that shot? The white cat had followed them in and curled up on the floor seemingly unconcerned. 'Well there doesn't seem to be anything very interesting in here' said Steve. 'It's a little stuffy- no windows. I don't like it much.' Suddenly the cat stood up and arched her back and her fur stood up on end. She didn't make a sound just kept her eyes fixed on the moveable panel. They heard muffled footsteps and voices. Tom appeared in the room and put his finger over his lips. Then he disappeared again. The cat continued her watch. Dora clenched and unclenched her hands becoming more and more agitated. Steve reached out and pulled her close wrapping his arms round her tightly which was how they stood when the panel opened once again.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »
As Jeannie entered the room she looked straight at them, her face expressionless except for the way her lips twisted up at the corners into an evil grin.  It seemed she wasn't surprised to see her reluctant companions.  Dora was shaking in Steve's arms so he held her just a little bit tighter.  She circled around them, looking them up and down.  "So, we meet at last Stephen.... and you must be Dora?"  Steve and Dora were frozen to the spot and although Steve wanted to say something, he couldn't speak.  Her face was close to Dora's.  "I have to stop you." she said menacingly, then she turned quickly and stared at Steve "Both of you."  Steve had noticed she didn't have a gun with her, which surprised him.  She turned away, pressed the button and the open panel closed plunging the room into darkness.  She walked over to the far side of the room and bent down to light a gas lamp in the corner.  She turned to look at them again.  "I've already stopped your friend." she said, her voice low, her lips in that same twisted smile.  Steve and Dora were horrified.  "Our friend?"  Steve managed to say.  "That idiot Ron - you must have heard the shot?"  Steve felt the anger rising quickly to the surface.  He let go of Dora and rushed over towards Jeannie, hoping to take her by surprise.  As he neared she raised her arm and pushed the air in front of her.  Steve felt an invisible force shove him in the chest and send him sprawling back across the room.  Dora screamed "Steve!"  Jeannie laughed.  "You fools.  Do you think I need a gun?  I have my own powers."  Dora helped Steve to his feet.  He was winded and trying to get his breath.  "Now, let's have some real fun." Jeannie said with a cackle.

Someone's got to care

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
A white spitting ball of fur launched itself at her neck and whilst she was momentarily put off balance Steve grabbed Dora's hand, pushed the button and they ran from the room fleeing back the way they had come, they knew that Jeannie wouldn't be held back for long- maybe if they could get to the police- but what could they do against magic? There came a stange noise and more cats began to appear. Betty appeared at the top of the stairs her face contorted with anger. 'She shot Ron' she said as Jeannie reached the top of the stairs with the white cat still harrying round her. Intent on reaching her prey Jeannie made to descend the staircase. Betty reached out to push her. 'Ha-' she laughed. 'You think a push from a ghost could harm me!'So confident was she that she did not look at the stairs which were now covered in quietly crouching cats. Jeannie fell screaming to the bottom and lay still. Betty laughed. Tom appeared at the bottom of the stairs and looked down. 'Dead!' he said. 'Uncle Tom- where were you when we needed you?' said Steve. 'Keeping Duncan out of the way- he has no magic and was easier to scare than Jeannie. I knew that Minerva would take care of you. ' Dora was sobbing uncontrollably against Steve's chest. ' Poor, poor Ron.'
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
Ron lay under the oak tree, his spade lying in the partly dug hole by the trunk of the old tree.  He could feel the blood oozing from his body and he knew his life was ebbing away.  He was weak and cold and his breathing was shallow.  The pain came and went but each time it came he found it harder to bear.  The bullet had entered his chest before he had even realised the gun had gone off.  As he fell he could hear her laughing.  She threw the gun down into the partly dug hole before leaving him to his fate.  His eyes felt heavy and the lids were beginning to close.  He knew he was near the end.  Pictures raced through his mind - his home, his family, his bike, his friends, Follyfoot, Slugger, The Colonel, Steve and his precious Dora.  All rushed by in a flash and he knew this was the last time he would see them.  Another pain shot through him and he groaned loudly.  Then Ron heard a familiar voice "Don't make such a fuss." He tried to move his head to see who spoke but couldn't.  Then he felt hands on his chest and a burning pain.  He groaned again.  "Soon be over." said the voice "Be still."  Ron had no choice but to be still.  He felt the hands moving across his body and heard murmuring words which he couldn't decipher.  Suddenly there was a brilliant light and a pain so strong that Ron screamed and passed out.  When he opened his eyes again he felt sure he must have passed over.  He felt no pain and could feel the life force back in his body.  He could move and his breathing was easier.  As he turned his head he saw her.  "Amelia." he said simply.  "There my boy, I told you it would soon be over.  Can't stand to see anybody in pain."  She smiled at him and Ron was able to smile back. He knew he was alive and he knew Amelia had somehow performed a miracle.  "How did you..."  "Never mind about that." said Amelia.  "You close your eyes and rest now."  Ron did as she said and as he fell into a peaceful unconsciousness he whispered "Thank you." but Amelia had already gone.  

Someone's got to care

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
In Tockwith General Hospital the nurse came into the waiting room and called to the Colonel and Slugger. "I think you'd better come next door". They followed her to a small, prettily-furnished room with soft chairs and patterned wallpaper.
"Well, tell us the worst!" said Slugger.
"Stupid young devil. I warned him not to go back there!" said the Colonel.
"Look, I'm only supposed to tell his family, but his father's at his bedside and he told me to keep you in the picture. Young Ron's just given us a terrible scare. He's lost a lot of blood. In fact his heart actually stopped beating at one point. We had to use a cardiac defibrillator."
"Can we go and see him?" asked Slugger.
"He's still in intensive care. He's drifting in and out of consciousness at the moment. I think you should go home. I'll call you as soon as he's ready to see you".
"Thank Gawd Bert found him in time! If he hadn't, then I don't know what I would have done..."
"Now, now, Slugger. Don't blame yourself. We ought to go looking for Dora and Steve. I haven't heard anything about them, and Bert said he hadn't seen them. They seem to have vanished from the face of the earth!"
"I wish we'd never 'eard about that bloomin' Golden Candelabrum thingy!" moaned Slugger, as they trooped out of the hospital back towards the Colonel's car.
They headed off in the direction of Follyfoot. The colonel braked to let a vixen cross the road. Then he saw something by the roadside.
"Hey, that's young Ron's motorbike lying in the ditch. Now whatever is that doing there?"

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
"I can't believe I've let you bring me in here again." said Dora to Steve as they entered the bedroom.  "I need to find the Bible Dora.  I left it here somewhere."  Steve said, sounding agitated that he had lost the book.  Steve started looking around the room.  Dora noticed the panel still open and thought maybe the Bible was in the secret room.  As she entered she noticed the lamp that Jeannie lit was still flickering in the corner of the room.  Thinking she had better extinguish it before the whole house went up in flames, she walked over to the corner of the room.  When she got there she was amazed to see some very worn, stone steps leading from the room up to goodness knows where.  The steps had not been visible from any other part of the room.  She picked up the lamp, looked around and feeling safe that Steve was only next door, started to climb the dark steps.  She came to a small, wooden door with a brass handle.  She tried to open it but it was locked.  She looked around for a key and noticed some sort of writing on the wall about head height to the side of the door.  It wasn't any language she recognised.  She ran her hand over the lettering as if by doing so she would be able to read what it said.  The letters were raised slightly and as her fingers swept over the last letter she heard a loud clunk.  She stared at the door lock.  It can't have, can it?  She tried the handle again and this time the door opened.  Dora's heart was beating so hard she was sure Steve would hear it in the room underneath.  As she entered the room a cobweb hit her face and she jumped, her hands instinctively rubbing the web away from her eyes.  It was very dark and smelled very musty.  The flickering lamp threw shadows across the room so Dora could glimpse objects within.  As she came to the middle of the room the lamp light was much brighter and she saw it.  There on a carved wooden table stood a candlelabrum, thick with dust but not hidden enough for Dora to see that it was golden in colour.  She held her breath, went across to the table and picked up the long lost object.

Steve had found the Bible and was now searching for Dora.  He called her to no avail.  He looked into the secret room but it was so dark he knew she couldn't be in there alone.  Suddenly a feeling came over him, he felt dizzy and heard words in his head.  Words he didn't understand.  He put his hand up to his head and held onto the door to steady himself, thinking he was going to fall.  He didn't hear the door to the bedroom open...

Someone's got to care

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
The colonel stopped the vehicle and he and Slugger  got out intending to recover Ron's bike. A figure stumbled out from behind the bushes. 'Evening gents- I've had a slight accident. I wonder if I might trouble you for a lift.' 'Your bike is it? asked the colonel. 'Yes- that's right. 'Where do you want to go?' I have to meet someone at Witherby Hall. Do you happen to know the place?' 'Oh Yes' said the colonel-'We certainly do.Hop in. We'll take you there. What's your name by the way?' 'Duncan McKay. I'm meeting my cousin Alexander- he's a lawyer. There's some important legal matters that need sorting out. The colonel drove to the hall and straight over to the nearest police office who was standing looking into the back of an ambulance. 'What's going on officer?' 'young woman sir- fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Good Heavens- my niece is here somewhere with Steve, who works at the farm. 'It wasn't your niece, colonel. she and the young man will have to be interviewed again because they witnessed what happened. They're inside. The deceased was Jeannette Hargreaves .Duncan roared 'No' He began to run, Slugger tried to stop him but Duncan evaded his grasp. 'That young man stole Ron Stryker's bike' said the colonel. 'He's Jeannette's boyfriend and partner in crime.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
A tall woman with long blonde hair and a pale face came into the room. In a soft voice she said to Stave- 'You had better lie down before you fall down. She helped him onto the bed and removed his shoes. She took the pillows and placed them under his legs to elevate them and began to undo the buttons on his shirt which was still very wet from the soaking it had received from Dora's tears. 'N-no- please don't - I- ' 'It's alright Stephen. I have no desire to come between you and your true love.She has found the candelabrum. ' 'Is she okay? what about the curse?' 'The curse will not affect a person who is worthy enough to find it. One who is good and true. When she found it however it did release magic powers which is how I come to be here. ' 'Who are you?' 'My name is Minerva.' 'But that's the cat's name.' He looked closely at her noticing for the first time her cat-like green eyes.' Yes- I was cursed long ago and forced to live the life of a cat. I had nine lives and I don't know how many I've used up in the many battles I have fought. I do know that my human body is covered with scars. She traced the path of one on the side of her face. I do not know how much time I have left. I will fetch Dora to you. Steve's wet shirt was making him feel uncomfortable so he took it off and pulled the bedclothes over himself. Minerva came back with Dora who was holding the candelabrum. She set it down on the floor beside the bed. 'Lie down beside Stephen, hold each other close. Strange foreign sounding words swam in both their heads and their eyes became heavy. Steve took Dora into his arms and she laid her head against his naked chest feeling his heart thumping. Green light flooded the room. Minerva's voice sounded in their ears like deep soft purring. Now I will weave for you the dream of truth and then my work will be done
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »
Voices... seek and ye shall find... a Bible... Uncle Tom, where were you when I needed you?... voices... I love you...  candles burning... golden candles... hold me close and never let me go... senses heightened... pain... pleasure... voices... voices... sighs... moans... screams... my true love... silence... peace... sleep. 

The sun was streaming through the window of the room when Dora woke.  Steve was next to her in the bed, eyes closed and breathing steady.  She had dreamed such a strange dream, but was it a dream?  It all felt so real.  She put her hand on Steve's forehead and flicked a piece of hair from his eyes.  He opened them.  Dora smiled and he smiled back.  There didn't seem any need for words.  They knew what each other was thinking.   Last night their dreams merged into one. The truth was in that dream and the dream came true for both of them. They had given themselves to each other.  They too had become one.   Dora was about to speak but Steve put a finger on her mouth and shook his head.  He took her in his arms and kissed her tenderly. 

The candlelabrum stood by the side of the bed, a distinct glow eminating from it but Minerva was nowhere to be seen. 

Someone's got to care

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
Dora picked up the candlestick and turned the stem in her hand. It came off and revealed that there was something in the hollow- Carefully she extracted two documents. They were both wills. ' the dream Dora- a hand did what you just did, looked inside and saw one document, read it then put it back and added another. Then the candlestick was put back together and returned to it's hiding place. Then- Oh I don't want to remember the next bit- my heart is telling me it's true but my head doesn't want to believe it.' 'I'm sorry Steve- but I think you have to. Your real father is dead- murdered by Jeannie in his own bed-in this very room. These wills are those of your grandfather and your father.' Steve realising the dreadful truth put his fist to his mouth and hung his dark head dejectedly. Uncle Tom appeared. 'The police are looking for you to interview you about Jeannette's death. You're not out of danger yet. Duncan is on the loose. You need to keep those wills safe.' ' But where can we put them- back where they came from?' 'No!- put the candlestick back- if he finds that the curse will get him.'I know where' said Dora recalling another part of the dream.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Dora and Steve went to the secret room.  Steve was holding the candlelabrum.  Dora led the way to the stone steps.  She stopped dead in her tracks.  "I don't understand it Steve - the steps are gone!" She exclaimed.  Steve was mystified, but then so many ghostly, magical things were happening, in a way he wasn't surprised.  "We're obviously not meant to return the candlelabrum Dora.  We'll have to hide it ourselves... somewhere that Duncan can come across it easily,"  He looked at her then "and we both know where we can put the wills?"  Dora nodded.  The same dream, the same thoughts. "Come on, let's get going."  said Steve, but before they left the room he took her in his arms and kissed her.  "I love you Dora Maddocks - but then you already knew that didn't you?"  Dora smiled.  The dream had only reinforced the truth she had always known in her heart.

Duncan was devastated at Jeannie's death.  Revenge was the only thing on his mind and he was going to make sure he finished the job that Jeannie had set out to do.  He had no magic but he did have luck, and he did have cunning........ and he did have Jeannie's gun!  

Someone's got to care