Author Topic: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum  (Read 32357 times)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
The barn was empty.  "Well I could have sworn I heard them."  the Colonel said, exasperated that Dora and Steve weren't there.  Look Slugger, we have to go back to Follyfoot.  I don't know what Dora is playing at, or Steve, but who the hell do they think is looking after those horses!  Wait until they get back home - I'll give them a piece of my mind!"  The Colonel stormed out of the barn and Slugger rushed after him.  He hadn't seen the Colonel this cross for years.  Oh blimey, he thought, Dora and Steve are in for it now.  

When the coast was clear Dora and Steve emerged from the shadows of a niche in the far corner of the barn, well away from the door.  "Oh Steve, uncle's furious, we should get back to the farm."  "Look Dora, you go if you want to but I'm staying here.  I have to.  Don't ask me why but I just have to."  Dora was torn between staying and going but inside she knew that she had to stay - she felt the same as Steve.  Something was controlling them.... something wanted them to stay.... but why?   She smiled at Steve.  "I'm not leaving you here alone.  I'll stay." she said.    

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
The sisters smiled at each other when they saw Steve and Dora walking across the drive hand in hand. They knew they wouldn’t leave; they had made sure of it. It was all going according to plan and Ron wouldn’t be any trouble while he was in Betty’s hands.

“Thank goodness that interfering old Colonel has gone.” Cissie sighed with relief.

“Yes” replied Amelia. “He doesn’t succumb to our charms and spells so easily. He could spoil everything.”

The door opened and in walked Uncle Tom, beaming from ear to ear. “Splendid stuff gals, I’ve just seen those two love birds heading this way. I knew you could do it”.

Amelia looked uneasy. “It’s not over yet Tom. We’ve a few problems with that wretched Colonel.”

“Dash it all, I thought you’d got rid of that old fool.”

“For the moment, yes, but I fear he will be back before long.”  

Cissie opened the old leather-bound book again. “There must be a stronger spell we can use on him…..”

“Hush!” hissed Amelia, as Steve and Dora entered the kitchen.

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
"Welcome back!" said Cissie. "I am sure you two could do with a nice cup of tea!"

"Oh, yes please!" said Dora.

"Well, Cissie, if you're going to make it, I'm jolly well going to come with you to make sure you do it properly!" exclaimed Amelia. Turning to Steve, she continued: "You know, sometimes my sister actually puts the milk in the cup before the tea!"

"Oh, stop complaining, you old fool!" said Cissie. "We'll be back in a moment!"

Steve and Dora gazed into each others' eyes.

"Do you know what..." They both started to talk at the same time.

"Steve , it's just like those other sisters, Agnes and Emily! Remember?"

"Of course, Dora! They were poles apart. Just like us. But that was then. Now..."

"Yes, Steve, Now! What happens now?"

"Right you two!" Cissie put her head around the door. "Do you take milk or sugar?"

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
Steve whispered quickly to Dora before Amelia and Cissie came back.  "Don't drink the tea Dora - get rid of it somehow.  I'm sure they drug it."  With that Cissie came in carrying the tea on a tray.  Amelia held the door open for her.  "There we are then dears, just what the doctor ordered."  "Thank you." said Dora politely when Cissie gave her the cup.  Steve smiled and nodded at Amelia as she handed his cup to him.  "Biscuit anybody?" Cissie asked.  "No!" Steve and Dora exclaimed together, causing Amelia to look at them somewhat suspiciously.  "Are you two feeling alright?" she asked them.  Steve nodded "Ummm, fine." he said.  Dora put the cup up to her lips and pretended to sip the tea.  Amelia and Cissie sat down opposite Dora and Steve.  They drank from their cups, watching Steve and Dora, who didn't drink from theirs.  "Don't worry, it isn't drugged." said Cissie, out of the blue.  Dora and Steve looked at each other and then smiled rather embarrassed smiles at Cissie.  "You don't trust us now do you?" Amelia asked them.  Steve put his cup down on the table.  He knew this was his chance to find out the truth.  "I need to know who I am.  I need you to tell me the truth - please."  
The sisters looked at one another and Cissie nodded to Amelia.  Amelia spoke.  "Your mother and father both lived here.  Your mother was a maid" Amelia paused before adding "and your father was the Earl's son."  Steve stared at Amelia, shaking his head.  "No, that can't be true."  Amelia continued "He fell in love with your mother and she with him.  It was fated from the start of course, her being a lowly maid."  Steve couldn't take in what she was telling him.  Dora took his hand and he looked at her, a puzzled expression on his face.  She looked at Amelia.  "Please go on." she said softly.  "You were conceived in the bedroom you slept in the other night.  When the family found out your mother was pregnant there was uproar.  They sent your mother away with a tidy lump sum and your father was sent off to sea."  Dora could feel Steve shaking, she looked at him and saw that he was crying.

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »
By now both the Colonel and Slugger were on their way back to follyfoot farm. They were also looking out for the nearest telephone box.

'There's one Colonel sir'. Slugger had been keeping his eyes peeled-he know of one or two in the vicinity-as did the Colonel.

They pulled in. The Colonel yanked hard on the strong handbrake-which made a distinct creaking, ratchety sound. Slugger waited in the passenger seat as the Colonel made his way towards the telephone box. He opened the heavy, stiff door, picked up the reciever and dialed the local police station number, whereupon Burt answered. The Colonel then pushed his tupence through. 'Hello Burt-it's the Colonel- we've had a few problems back at Witherby Hall. Slugger and I are headed back now to Follyfoot. Sam had turned up but unfortunately left immediately to get help because of some poor, mad woman letting 'orf her gun at Slugger!'

'Oh dear Colonel, yes we recieved this information not long ago-in fact several officers have gone up already to intercept this gun lady. Rest assured we will have her apprehended and taken back to the station for questioning. There is a possibility the two old ladies may have to be questioned too,' added Burt.

'Very good then.' The Colonel further explained they had been looking out for Dora and Steve, 'I didn't find Steve nor Dora but Ronald Striker was there-he says he'd seen them'.

'Oh, and what is young Ronald Striker doing there at this time of the morning?' Interupted Burt.

'Yes I would like to know myself.' The Colonel was furious with all three of them but duly kept his calm. 'Let me know if they find Dora and Steve especially, would you Burt-they will have a lot to answer for, when I finally catch up with them.' Burt reassured the Colonel- just as the 'pips' began to signal the end of their conversation. The Colonel replaced the reciever back onto the 'hooks' and climbed back into the driver's seat and told Slugger what Burt had just told him. 'Looks like Amelia and Cissie's shinanigans are finally coming to an end, after all these years-and not a moment too soon.' Slugger murmured in agreement as they both set off again.

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
Meanwhile Ron was still standing transfixed beneath the portrait of the young man who looked like Steve. 'Betty- can you tell me who this is?'
'Why bless you sir- that's the young master- some say he brought disgrace on the family, anyway he went off to sea. One of the maids left at about the same time.' 'Was her name Kathy?' ' Well I used to call her Kitty- but I believe as 'ow the family called her Katharine. We was quite friendly but I  haven't heard a word from her since.Now- enough of your questions- my turn- who are you and what are you doing here?' ' Ron Stryker- I work with Dora and Steve at Follyfoot-I think they're still here somewhere I seem to be suffering from some kind of memory loss but I think I came here to look for a candelabrum. ' Betty gasped- 'Accursed object- stained with the blood of the innocent- let's not talk about it. You come with me and I'll help you to forget all about that too.' A voice called from out of the darkness at the top of the stairs. 'Betty- where are you- wretched girl- hurry up!' Ron followed her but at the top she disappeared, there was only a cold cloying mist that enveloped him. The grandfather clock struck 6, the door in it opened and a black and white cat jumped in.
Ron began to search the rooms for Betty. It was getting light but still difficult to see clearly. Ron remembered the pocket torch he had brought with him. On his left a door was slightly ajar and he pushed it gingerly. As it opened a strange smell assailed his nostrils. He shone his torch around. The room seemed to be full of plants. Funny place to keep them he thought. From somewhere in the depths of his mind he dredged a part of a story an evil chinaman by the name of Fu Manchu engaged in the manafacture and illegal sale of OPIUM! a drug that could cause hallucinations. He was not aware that he had almost shouted the word. 'Interfering young fool!' hissed a voice  and he was grabbed from behind and held in a vice-like grip. A needle was inserted into his upper arm and he sank to the floor unconscious.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
'What I don't understand' said Steve 'is how my father came to work in a coalmine.' 'Your father didn't- his identical twin brother- your uncle did.'
Your grandmother died giving birth and as the family did not want two babies your uncle was brought up by the midwife's childless sister and her husband- Mary and Joe Jackson. They had no idea until after the baby had been baptised that they had chosen to give him the same forename. As they knew he came from the Ross family they gave him the full name of Stephen Ross Jackson. When he was old enough he followed Joe down the mine. Meeting Kathy by accident he had a lot of trouble convincing her he was not the father of her baby. He promised to keep in touch and find out what information he could for her. Reluctantly ,after much persuasion and after making him promise not to cause trouble for his real family, his mother told him what she knew. She then wrote to the family explaining the situation. Your uncle and Kathy fell in love. She had not told her sister Milly or their mother who the baby's father was. They were very relieved when Stephen married her and took her to live in his village.' said Cissie. 'But Steve' said Dora. 'Why has Kathy never told you all this? ' 'She was never a very truthful girl' said Amelia. 'She hasn't changed ' said Steve. 'There's one thing I must know- what happened to my real father?'
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »
When Ron came to he had a headache equivalent to the worst hangover he'd ever had. He sat up trying hard to focus. He was in what appeared to be a cellar. It was cold and damp and his hands were tied behind his back, his feet were tied too and he was gagged. The door opened and a girl dressed in black came in. She removed the gag. 'Betty?' said Ron. 'Yes I'm Betty- but who are you?' 'Hang about' said Ron. 'I told yer twice already me name's-'
'But I've never seen you before.' 'We met at the bottom of the stairs. I asked you about the portrait. ' 'The stairs where the grandfather clock is?' 'Yes.'
'You've seen the ghost of Elizabeth Simmonds. She worked as a maid here during the war and up until her death in 1950. Found her at the bottom of those very stairs they did. In fact today's the anniversary of her death. Ron shivered. 'But how did you know I was here? ' Saw Miss Jeannie and her boyfriend carry you out of the room they use for their experiments. ' 'With opium?' 'I don't know- but I do know you need to get out of here' she said taking out a small knife and cutting his bonds. ' 'Okay Betty- what year is this?'  '1973'. 'Right - and tell me - before Elizabeth Simmons was there another Betty working here? ' 'I believe so- she drowned in the old pond - it's dried up now. ' 'When was that?' I believe just after the first World War.' 'How long have you worked here Betty? ' 'Around 5 years. Funny- when they interviewed me they gave me the job over several other girls with more experience. Said they liked having girls called 'Elizabeth' about the place. 'Well if I were you I'd leave- pronto.' 'I am getting rather fed up with the peculiar ways of the sisters and Jeannie. I think I will hand in my notice. 'No Betty -leave today- as soon as you can pack your things. When I can get to me bike I'll take yer. Now show me how to get out without being seen.' 'There's a door into the garden through the next cellar but I think that the door into it is locked.' Show me' said Ron. The door was old and the wood not very strong. Ron's cowboy boots were equal to the task as he kicked out the two bottom panels and peered through. 'Go and get packed- where's your room?' 'It's directly above the main kitchen. ' 'Stay there and wait till I signal to you. She scurried away. Ron still had his torch and crawling through the gap he'd made he shone it around the room. There were shelves and shelves of bottles each was labelled. 'Looks like a flaming chemist shop' said Ron and made his way to the door which fortunately was unlocked. Cautiously he peered out- no-one was around. He tried to get his bearings and realised he was at the back of the house. How was he to get his bike. He heard footsteps and ran for cover of the trees. He didn't quite make it and a voice said 'Hello young Ron? you still here? ' 'Never had Ron been so glad to see Sam and Bert, the two local bobbies. 'The other lads are combing the woods for the woman who shot Slugger.' said Bert. 'Do me a favour- go round the front and get me bike out of the kitchen- say you need it for evidence. I gotta get a bird out of here PDQ.' 'Might have known there'd be a woman involved' said Bert. 'But really this is not a safe place for anyone. If young Dora and Steve are still here we need to get them away too. As they rounded the front of the house a blood curdling scream hit the air and Elizabeth number three landed at their feet with a sickening thud. ' ' Oh Hell- what have I done? ' said Ron. Bert blew his whistle and other policemen came running. A police car also drew up blaring it's siren and taking in the scene at a glance the driver radioed for an ambulance. ' Right-' said Sam. 'Call the CID no-one leaves this place until we get this matter and all the other things that have been going on here sorted once and for all. ' Bert got up from where he had been examining the girl. He shook his head. 'She's dead I'm afraid-. 'Ron sat on the grass, put his head in his hands and wept.
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
The Colonel was sat down in the cottage and sipping from a large mug of hot tea. Slugger was making himself several pieces of toast.

Slugger causually remarked, ' That Ron would be 'ere by now, havin' his share of toast wiv' me. What on earth he's doin' at Wetherby Hall-gowd only knows.' I reckon he's tryin to look for that treasure -that golden candlelabrum thing.'

'Oh yes, most likely Slugger. I expect he knows where it is -but wants to keep it quiet from everyone.' I'ts about time Sam or Burt got in touch with us and fill us in on any arrests they may have made.'

'Well, I hope they nick young Ron whilst they're at it-cos he's been asking for it lately- I cant cope with everything 'ere on my own. An' I think Dora and Steve ought to know better- I just hope they will be alright too! Slugger was now beginning to feel sorry for himself-having been shot in the backside earlier on, by a wild- looking woman that lived both in around the Witherby Estate. 'An as for that mad woman........' -Just then the telephone went, and the Colonel got up. ' I expect it's the police, Colonel.'

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
'Follyfoot Farm- Colonel Maddocks speaking.' 'Bert here ,Colonel. I'm afraid I have to inform you that there's a serious crime been committed here at the
hall. Dora, Steve and Ron are all here. They're all safe but I'm afraid that they won't be able to leave here until they've been questioned by
the C.I.D.''You mean they're suspects.' 'No Colonel. But they will have to stay here for the time being. ' 'Well if they're not back here later
today I'll have to come down and speak to whoever's in charge.' 'If I were you Colonel- I'd stay away.' The Colonel put the phone down. 'Well
Slugger- it looks like we have to manage the horses on our own. I'll ring Anna and see if Callie can come down. She's on holiday from school
at the moment. Meanwhile- make me some breakfast- and none of your burnt offerings!'
In Witherby hall Dora was sobbing uncontrollably. She had been facing the window when the body of Elizabeth fell past. Steve, very shocked
himself, was trying to comfort her as best he could. The two sisters seemed to be largely unconcerned. A burly police inspector who was based
 in Leeds came into the room. 'Ladies-my name is inspector Donald Right. I have to advise you that we have a warrant to search your property- house, grounds and all out-buildings. We need to find  Jeannette Hargreaves,  the weapon she used to shoot Mr. Jones and anything pertaining to illegal activities. We are also investigating the circumstances leading to the untimely death of Elizabeth Jackson. No-one will be able to leave until everyone has been interviewed-separately. 'Now look' said Steve. 'Dora and I have nothing to do with this. She's very upset- we can't help with anything. We have to get back to Follyfoot where we work. Dora's uncle, Colonel Maddocks will be worried .' 'I's sorry Mr. er ' 'Ross- Steve Ross. This is Dora Maddocks' 'Well I'm afraid that as you were here when a serious crime was committed we will need to speak to you. The local constable has, I believe, phoned your place of employment to let them know.' 'Can you tell me if our friend  Ron Stryker is okay- he works with us.' 'Mr Stryker is in a state of shock but he is currently being questioned because it seems that he may have been the last person to see Elizabeth Jackson alive
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Dora was with the police.  Steve had already given a statement, for what it was worth.  He went outside for a walk.  The house was stifling him and he desperately needed fresh air.  He walked slowly, sadness pinning his feet to the floor so that every step was an effort.  He was confused and shocked.  He was trying to take in what had been said.  He wasn't who he thought he was.  His father was not the miner he vaguely remembered.  He felt lost before he arrived at Follyfoot and found his first real 'home' but now, suddenly, he was plunged back into that desolate feeling of loneliness, not fitting in anywhere it seemed.  He wasn't sure he could cope with that again... but what else could he do?  Who could he trust?  Where could he go?  Steve's head fell.  Nothing, nobody, nowhere, he had answered his own questions. 

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder and made him jump.  He looked around.  It was Ron.

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
The policemen were already searching the woods for Jeanette Hargreaves-who was now the main suspect in the murder of Elizebeth Jackson. The strange, unfolding events began to twist further, as the dogs suddenly growled and barked hysterically-one of them began to whine and whimper and refused to go on. This particular German Shepherd was showing signs of fear, rather than courage and the officer assigned with his beloved dog was mystified and puzzled. 'Whats the matter boy?' He won't go on for some reason.' The dog simply refused to walk on any further and the more the handler tried to coerce him, the more the animal refused to move. By now the other two dogs had also decided to 'mutineer' and the three police officers tried in vain to now coax their highly trained, four legged friends to continue their search for 'Jeanie'.

'It's just no good -they won't budge -I just dont understand it- it's never happened before,' said one officer.

'Yer-same here mate-this is crazy.' Replied the other.

The dogs were foaming at the mouths -with eyes buldging red. They had clearly 'detected' something that their two legged masters had not! Now the animals began to growl menacingly towards their own masters and one of them lunged forwards and bite the policeman on the arm. The officer yelled out in tremendous pain and had to let go of the lead. With that, the dog ran away. The other animals were tugging at their leads in unison -with the strength of horses- and the two officers still holding on, had no choice but to let go-for fear of dislocating their fingers-or worse still their very arms! The policemen were by now both apprehensive and terrified to what had happened to their highly trained dogs and decided to run back into the direction of their fleeing animals.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
As the officers were now some way off in the distance, a strange hissing and cackling sound began to eminate from the trees above and slowly and effortless, a figure descended from one of them. The figure crawled a part of the way down headfirst-rather like a 'preying mantis' and seemed to defy the laws of physics (even cats -who are keen climbers will tend to go down a tree-legs first). As the figure finally reached the ground, Jeanie stood up and laughed joyously at her cleverness to outwit the law on this occasion!

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
Ron and Steve had been sitting on tree stumps close to the house. They had heard the barking of the dogs and wondered if it meant the police had found something. 'Did you get grilled by the Fuzz' asked Ron. 'Not particularly- I couldn't be of much help- what about you?' 'Oh yeah- grilled turned over and grilled again and told in no uncertain terms they might want to talk to me again.God Steve- this place is evil. it's in the walls. We need to scarper and quick.' 'I can't without dora- and anyway something's keeping me here. I'm like a lost soul.' 'God Steve- don't say that please.' 'Ron- you look worse than I feel. ' 'While we wait for Dora let's you and I have a talk. Don't want her to know all that's happened to me. ' so the two young men shared the things that were troubling them. 'Ere Steve- can you smell something?' Suddenly a cacophony of cat cries split the air as seemingly hundreds of them rushed from the barn where the cock-fighting had taken place.' Paraffin!' said Steve as the barn suddenly erupted into flames which licked and threatened the next building. 'Get your bike out Ron- I'm going to get Dora. We need to move fast' he threw the last remark over his shoulder as he ran for the house followed by Ron. Dora had finished with the police and was slumped in an armchair in the kitchen with Amelia and Cissie looking on. Steve burst in, manhandled her outside and onto the back of Ron's bike. 'Get out of here quick- back to the farm.He went back in and found police officers trying to get the two sisters out of the building but they shook their heads and cackled weirdly. Steve's hand closed over the landrover keys in his pocket and he ran to where he'd left it., fortunately the flames were blowing away from it. He got in. Police emerged from the trees . fire engines could be heard in the distance. Steve drove through the gates just before a convoy of engines appeared. He blew out his cheeks and suddenly had the feeling that he was not alone
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
'Close shave that m'boy' said Uncle Tom's voice in his ear. Shocked, Steve hit the brake and the landrover shuddered to a halt. 'Crikey Uncle Tom- you scared the wits out of me- as if I wasn't freaked out enough already! I dunno what's going to happen to Cissie and Amelia. They wouldn't budge- just sat there cackling while the police tried to get them to leave.' 'Never mind about them for the time being. It's Jeannie and Duncan you have to worry about. If the police haven't caught them yet you and your young lady could be in danger.' 'She's not my young lady! Just a very good friend.' 'Stephen, Stephen- stop fighting your destiny. Your lives are intertwined.' 'Well- I'd better not go back to the farm if I could be putting her in danger.' 'Trust your old uncle Tom- you're stronger together. I can help you. Go back to the farm and I'll make sure you're warned of any danger. They can't harm me- after all I'm dead already!' 'I wish I'd never set eyes on Witherby Hall or heard of that bloody candleabrum!' Angrily Steve re-started the engine. As they approached the farm Tom's voice- appreciably softer now said 'You could not escape. Sooner or later fate would have brought you to the hall to fulfill your destiny and the candelabrum and Dora are inextricably linked with it.' Steve stopped the vehicle at Follyfoot and got out. As he did so a beautiful long haired white cat coiled itself round his legs. He tried to back away but he could not. 'Don't be afraid of her 'came a voice on the wind. 'She is pure and good just like your Dora.' The cat purred softly as if to re-assure him further. Dora came running out of the farmhouse. Steve opened his arms and she ran in to them and hugged him tightly. 'Oh Steve- thank heaven you got away.' 'Yes- for now but I must go back. not today but very soon- and you, I believe must come too.' Dora shivered. 'Come in and have something to eat and drink that we know hasn't been tampered with. ' Steve picked up the white cat and followed her inside. The colonel greeted Steve enthusiastically slapping him on the back. 'Goodness Steve- you look as white as Ron did when he got back. Anyone would think you'd seen a ghost.
linda-norfolk dumpling