Author Topic: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum  (Read 32327 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Dora and the Golden Candlelabrum
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
A new moon illuminated the shabby stables. Dora clutched Steve's arm nervously.

Steve peered over the first half door. The stable was empty. He moved along to the second stable. Just the same, empty, save for cobwebs and years of accumulated junk. Dora rushed to the third stable. “It’s empty Steve, there aren’t any horses here. They must have moved them!”

“Either that, or they were never here in the first place” Steve muttered.

“I don’t understand. You said you saw terribly injured horses here. So they must have been moved!”

Steve sighed heavily. “Look Dora” he rubbed his hand over his mouth “there are things happening here that aren’t normal.   I can’t explain it, I did see badly treated horses in these stables but I don’t think they were from this era. They were in another time.”

Dora frowned. “Oh come on Steve, are you saying they were ghost horses?”

“Yes Dora. I am saying just that. I saw another yard, through that archway over there. It appeared to be from a totally different age, a busy place, and grooms tacking up well-kept horses ready for the hunt.”

Dora could see Steve was deadly serious. “I must see for myself.” She approached the archway cautiously and felt goose bumps rising up on her bare arms. But there was nothing to see except more empty stables, some with doors hanging off, tiles missing from the roof, a total air of decay.  

“This must have been a wonderful place at one time” Dora said sadly. She hated to see empty stables. She had an urge to fill each and every one of them with needy horses.

She turned tear-filled eyes towards Steve. “I feel an atmosphere here, Steve. Something awful has happened in the past.” She shivered. “Let’s go. There obviously aren’t any horses here now. I wish we could have been around to help those poor horses when they needed us!”

Steve smiled and put his arms around her. “You can’t help every unwanted horse in this life, so don’t worry your pretty head about horses from the past.”

Dora looked shyly up at him. How well he knew her!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Steve squeezed Dora's shoulders and said "I'm going to find the sisters.  There's something I need to know.  Do you want to come with me or shall I take you back to the Land Rover to wait for me?"  "I'll come with you Steve.  I feel better when I'm with you."  He squeezed her again and then took her hand and turned towards the mansion.  They entered by the kitchen door. There was nobody about.  Steve led Dora through another door into a passageway and then on through into the grand hall, which now wasn't as grand as it must surely have been years ago in Uncle Tom's days.  The house creaked around them and Dora kept looking over her shoulder, thinking that somebody was there.  Steve called out "Amelia.  Cissie.  Are you there?"  After a while he saw the black cat coming down the staircase, it's green eyes shining like sulphur in the dimly lit hall.  He knew the sisters wouldn't be far away.  They started walking up the stairs and as they reached the first landing, they heard voices.  Dora looked at Steve.  "It's Ron." she whispered.  "I'm sure it's Ron."  Steve listened intently.  Sure enough he recognised the dulcet tones of Ron's voice.  He seemed to be arguing with somebody.  They walked towards the door at the end of the passageway and stopped outside.  The voices were louder and clearer now and they recognised Amelia and Cissie.  

The cat had followed Steve and Dora up the stairs and as Steve was about to open the door the cat leapt and scratched his hand deeply.  Steve screamed out in pain and Dora jumped as the cat leapt once again, missing her by an inch.  The scream brought Amelia to the door.  "Stephen.  Dora." she exclaimed.  She looked down at Steve's bleeding hand.  "You had better come in."  She opened the door wider and Dora and Steve entered, the cat ahead of them, jumping onto the bed. Amelia poured water from a floral jug into a matching bowl and used a flannel to bathe Steve's wounds.  

"Where's Ron?" Steve asked looking around the room for him.  "Who?" asked Cissie.  "You know Ron, our friend."  Steve said more urgently, pulling his sore hand away now.  "We heard his voice just now."  Cissie smiled and said  "Did you both sleep well my dears."  Steve frowned at her not understanding why she was worried whether they had slept well when he was asking after Ron.  Dora spoke then "You were talking to somebody and it sounded like Ron.  Please, tell us where he is?" she almost begged them. "Oh no, my dear, that was Uncle Tom we were talking to.  We haven't seen your friend at all."  They both smiled sweetly, too sweetly for Steve's liking.  Amelia said "Shall we go downstairs now Stephen and have a drink and then we can look for your friend?  I expect he's wondering where you are too."  

Steve and Dora didn't have much choice but to follow the sisters down to the kitchen.  After they had finished their coffee the sisters left them alone, removing the tray of cups and taking them to the scullery for washing, Cissie looking back at them over her shoulder, still with the sickly-sweet smile, as she quietly closed the door.  Steve was about to take Dora's hand and get out of the kitchen but Dora was first to move and she came across and stood in front of him, staring at him with half-closed, almost vacant eyes and a smile like he had never seen from her before.  She didn't speak but put her arms around his neck and kissed him hard on the lips.  Any other time Steve would have relished what was happening and responded accordingly but this, this was not his Dora.  He knew something wasn't right and he grabbed her arms and tried to pull them apart.  She held on tighter and he moved his mouth away from hers.  Finally he managed to untangle her arms from around his neck and pushed her away.  She quickly came back to him not giving him a chance to recover and held onto his head, kissing him again.  He wrenched his head around, held onto her shoulders and pushed her hard.  He shouted her name. "Dora - Dora -Dora."  Louder and louder he shouted as she tried again and again to kiss him.  After struggling with her for what seemed an eternity he became angry and slapped her hard across her face.  She fell to the ground.  Steve stood trying to get his breath back.  Dora wasn't moving.  Steve started to shake, appalled at what he had done.  He knelt down next to her, cradling her head in his arms.  He could see the red imprint of his hand on her cheek.  He was mortified but, not for the first time in this crazy house, he had had no choice.  It was as if he was being taken over.  After a few moments Dora moaned and opened her eyes.  "Steve, what's happened to me?" she asked drowsily.  She didn't remember anything.  "Don't worry now Dora." he said as he helped her up from the floor.  "Just believe me, we have to get out of this place, it's evil."  Dora tried to walk but she was still very unsteady and Steve knew they would have to wait.  Amelia and Cissie came back into the kitchen together and this time the black cat wasn't with them.  "Oh dear, has Dora taken a turn."  Cissie said, seemingly genuinely worried, but Steve had had enough.  He spat at them angrily. "You put something in her drink didn't you?"  Amelia looked quickly at Cissie but said nothing.  Steve shouted again "Tell me the truth for once. Why did you drug her?  Why?  And where's Ron?"

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »
Meanwhile, the Colonel and Slugger had now been joined by a local policeman, who had just ridden in on his bicycle. It was still dark but the dawn was soon to break and the new moon's slither of light shone down on the threesome.

'Morning Colonel,' the bobby spoke quietly, 'we got your message that you were very concerned and  intended to arrive here before dawn.' The bobby dismounted his bike and wheeled it underneath a tree. 'I was part of the midnight raid earlier- that was a most successfull operation, because we had our suspicions that Witherby Hall was being used as a base for criminal activity in the area.'

'Yes, I've heard-thats why Slugger and I warned Steve and Dora-and Ron,' the Colonel emphasised Ron, 'not to go here in the first place'. But would they listen?' The Colonel continued, 'Slugger has even apologised to me for showing Dora, Witherby- but I certainly can't blame Slugger for this.' Slugger grunted and smiled awkwardly.

The bobby continued, ' The lads back at the yard reckon the place is haunted, especially when they saw all those cats appearing from no where.' That was quite a sight -hundreds of them everywhere, swarming around inside the barn. Bit strange though, I must admit.' 'We think the old dears must have loved cats all their lives and let them breed like rabbits!'

The Colonel sighed and took his pipe out and placed it into his mouth. He did not light it with a match on this occasion but instead began to mull over the plans he had in mind.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
' Well, we know the old sistors may have been complicent with the criminal gangs working on their estate,' continued the bobby, but unfortunately there is not enough evidence to possibly convict them as well however we will be biding our time. We think the criminal lot approached the sistors soon after they acquired the estate and being elderly and vunlerable took advantage of them. But now we are not so sure because Amelia and Cissie (this was the first time the bobby adressed them by their names) both seemed to turn a 'blind eye' to everything going on around them.'

'Yes, I quite agree there Sam,' said the Colonel, 'I was invited several times myself, with Slugger for dinner, along with other neighbours in the area and none of us knew this was going on -only until Slugger had noticed peculier looking chaps dressed up in costumes galavanting about near the woods.'

'Thats right Colonel,' said Slugger, 'them blokes were acting most strange-I could see them from the corner of my eye, through the window.' I told Amelia straight away but she said they were some friends of hers and that there was nothing to worry about.'

Sam had continued, 'Yes Colonel, we think the criminal lot duped the sistors into renting out the barn and some of the stables for their illicit activities and in return, helped out with some of the chores around the estate, such as gardening and maintenance work -that kind of thing.' Funny thing though, the old girls never allowed any of them indoors -only the ringleaders-and they were always polite and respectfull towards them even then.'

The Colonel added, 'I always found them most warm and friendly-especially towards Slugger for some reason. 'Well, enough chating', the Colonel had ideas, 'I think the best thing to do is for one of us to knock on the front door first, see if we get a reply and if we do, get ourselves invited in for a cup of tea and a chat.' The Colonel taped Slugger on the shoulder, 'Slugger, be a good chap and go over and knock on the door. Sam and I will wait for you and if everthing goes according to plan, we will then come over and join you.'         

Slugger got up and after looking around-as if to make sure no-one was watching, causually made his way towards the mansion. As he approached, he quitely began to whistle and mutter to himself. He reached the old, large door and grabbing the knocker, banged it several times. Suddenly a loud gunshot went off in the woods. Slugger jumped and yelled out, 'What the blazes!' -he'd been shot! Slugger could feel a small peice of lead shot had embedded itself in his right buttock! Startled and clearly in pain, he took cover and managed to run back again to where the Colonel and the bobby were waiting in the shadows. 

Just then, at the same time, the door of the mansion opened and Cissie called out, 'Is anyone there?'

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
Back in the mansion, Steve was fast losing patience with the sisters. He poked his finger into Amelia’s shoulder and threatened “If you don’t start talking, so god help me I’ll…..” he was cut short by a loud bang and shout from outside.

“That sounded like someone’s been shot. Oh Steve, I’m frightened!” cried Dora.

Cissie opened the front door “Is anyone there?” and Slugger appeared from the bushes, rubbing his buttock and looking most put out.

“Some blighters gorn and shot me” he grumbled, turning around to reveal a tear in the seat of his trousers.

Steve, pushing past Cissie, took one look at Slugger and burst out laughing. He couldn’t stop and fell helplessly against the door frame, tears running down his cheeks.

“I’m glad you fink it’s so funny, but I’d really like to get indoors in case they have another pot shot and pepper me other cheek” Slugger muttered and stomped into the hallway.

Dora rushed to help Slugger. “What happened? Are you alright?” She looked at Steve in disgust. He had collapsed on the mansion steps and was still helplessly laughing.

She became increasingly concerned as this wasn’t like Steve at all. She slapped him hard across his face. “Stop it Steve. Stop it!” she cried.

Behind her, the two sisters grinned evilly at each other.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
Outside in the undergrowth, the Colonel and Sam were quite alarmed- as this was not the way they had planned things to have happened!

'Good heavens,' shouted the Colonel, 'poor Slugger's been hit!' The Colonel and Sam were both surprised and alarmed by the sudden turn of events.

The bobby explained to the Colonel, 'Listen Colonel, on no account leave this spot -there's a dangerous gunman about!' Stay put, please sir, while I ride down to the nearest home and I will ring the station and get reinforcements over here straight away. Slugger's gone inside -he seems not seriously injured-as long as they keep the doors locked- they should all be safe inside the manor, for the time being.'

The Colonel nodded in agreement and crouched down in the bushes.

With that, the officer mounted his bike and quickly left the scene..........   

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
There was darkness and there was darkness.  This was black darkness where he couldn't see his hand in front of his face.  His blindness seemed to heighten his other senses and he could smell the dank, musty air that clogged his lungs as he breathed it in.  He could feel the cold, damp walls of the narrow passageway he was in, seemingly getting narrower with each step.  He stopped now and again, listening in case he could hear voices but there was silence, except for the shuffling noises around his legs - rats.... or maybe cats?  He held out his arms, feeling his way as he placed one foot carefully in front of the other, making sure the ground was firm underfoot.  He had lost all sense of time.  Was it day or night?  How long had he been in there?  It felt like hours but there was no way to tell.  

As he reached once more into the darkness, his hands left the walls (or the walls left his hands) as though the narrow passage had opened out.  He stood still and swung his arms around.  Nothing.  He was worried about going further in case there was a drop but it seemed he had no choice in the matter.  There was no going back.  He gingerly stepped forwards, his arms stretched out before him feeling the air. Suddenly his foot caught on something large and hard, flinging him forwards.  He screamed out as he lurched forwards, waiting for the impact but amazingly the walls disappeared and he found himself spreadeagled on a carpeted floor.

As he picked himself up and dusted himself off he realised that he had fallen through a panel in the wall.  A secret entrance, or exit depending on how you looked at it.  He had been pushed into a secret passageway by the sisters when Steve and Dora had arrived.  As Ron had now become accustomed to the daylight, which hurt his eyes for a while after the total darkness he had endured, he looked around the room he was in.  A lovely bedroom with a large four-poster bed and fireplace.  Ron went to the door and quietly opened it, peeping out to see if he could see or hear anything.  It was silent except for the old Grandfather clock ticking away the hours at the end of the corridor.  He looked out of one of the large windows and saw somebody moving.  Before he could focus on the shape he heard the blast of a gun and an unmistakable scream.  Slugger!  Ron knew that voice anywhere.  My God, he's been shot!  Ron rushed from the room.  He didn't notice that the clock had stopped ticking as he ran by and a rather large black cat jumped from inside the case and followed Ron down the stairs.

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
As Ron walked down the stairs, he became aware that his surroundings no longer appeared as they had done only a few moments ago. He blinked and rubbed his eyes. That aspidistra on a side table in the hall had not been there before. Neither had the pretty house maid he saw hurrying towards the stairs. Ron grinned. Things were looking up. “Hello darlin’” he said, giving a little bow. Can I be of assistance?”

The house maid dropped the tools of her trade with a clatter on the polished wooden floor.

“Oh you did give me a start sir!” she exclaimed, scrabbling on the floor to retrieve her brushes and black-lead. “I must get the grates cleaned and fires lit before ‘is Lord and Ladyship get up.”

“’Ere, let me ‘elp.” Ron picked up a brush, placing it in her hand. “What’s yer name luv?” he asked her.

The maid looked up sharply. “What’s it to you?” She eyed him curiously. Never before had she seen such strange attire!

“I’m Ron and I’m trying to find me mates, Steve and Dora. You aint seen ‘em ‘ave ya? Dora’s a pretty girl with a fever ‘air cut and Steve a moody-looking dark-haired bloke wearing a lever jacket…” The maid gawped at him. It occurred to Ron that she hadn’t a clue what he was talking about. “An’ I suppose you ‘aint seen Cissie and Amelia neiver?”

The maid was becoming flustered. She was afraid of, and also strangely attracted to this red-haired man. “Look, I don’t know these people. I’ve got to get me work done.” She pushed past Ron and ran up the stairs two at a time. Ah well, some ya win, some ya lose, thought Ron and shrugged.

“Hey” a voice called. Ron looked up towards the landing. The maid was leaning over the banisters. “Me names Betty if yer must know!” She giggled and disappeared into the gloom.

Yer in there mate, thought Ron and a big cheesy grin spread over his face. But what about Slugger and what on earth was going on here? He felt something brush against his ankle. A large black cat curled itself around his legs. He jumped when the grandfather clock chimed loudly. He heard voices coming from the direction of the kitchen. “Slugger!”  he cried….

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »
Ron rushed into the kitchen.  He was amazed at the sight that met his eyes.  Slugger was bent over the kitchen table with his trousers around his ankles, completely unable to move, and Cissie was removing shot from his nether regions using a magnifying glass and rather large tweezers.  Amelia was holding the lamp over the unfortunate victim so Cissie could see better.  Steve was sitting in a chair rubbing his face cheek, which was rather red by now, and Dora was fussing over him, apologising at every opportunity.  Ron put his hands on his hips and laughed out loud.  "Blimey! What the 'ecks going on 'ere?  Some sort of nursing home is it?"  Dora looked up.  "Ron!  Thank goodness you're safe."  She smiled her biggest smile and ran to cuddle him.  Just then Slugger shouted at Cissie "Hey, be careful gal.  I'm very delicate you know."  Cissie screwed her eyes up and stared hard through the magnifying glass.  She tweaked with the tweezers and removed a shot.  "There, I think they're all out now." she said.  Ron was still grinning.  "Blimey, thank goodness for that.  Get your cacks back on now Sluggs for God sake, before I parks me bike in there."  Slugger gave him a dirty look and pulled up his trousers.  "Cor, that feels better.  Fanks love."  he said to Cissie.  Ron looked at the two sisters "Who the hell was doing the shooting?" he asked sternly. 

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
'Yer, If I ever catch the bleeder- he's in for the high jump-I can tell yer'- 'e could have blimin' well killed me!'
Slugger looked at Ron and then looked at the sisters and waited for an answer. There was a long silence, then Amelia spoke up first, 'Oh we are terribly sorry, I'm afraid that was our Jeanie.'

'Who's Jeanie?', said Ron.

Amelia replied, 'Jeanie is Cissie's daughter-she has a home in the woods. She often watches over us. She must have thought Slugger was a burgler'. The two sisters smirked and then chuckled together.

'You mean it was a woman that shot Slugger?' Strewth, there's a wild woman of the woods, loose out there wiv' a shotgun? sighed Ron.

Slugger interupted, 'But beg your pardon ladies, the Colonel was wiv me too (slugger did not mention about the bobby), I hope she hasn't shot at him -I hope he's alright. She won't shoot at him, will she?'

'Oh, deary me no!' She will only discharge her 'popper' if she thinks someone is trying to break in and harm us.'

'Bt dear ladies, I was only trying to knock on yer door, to see if anyone was in like. I admit it's early in the morning (slugger looked at his watch-it was just after 5am) but yer know ole' sluggs, dont you girls?'. Cissie and Amelia looked at Slugger and then at the same time, giggled and gave him an impromto cuddle and a few kisses on the forehead for extra measure! 'Steady on girls,' Slugger was taken aback, 'all is forgiven- I hope the Colonel is alright -I will go outside and call him in.'

Ron looked on with disgust and Dora. 'Why didn't she shoot any of them crooks instead?'

Cissie answered, 'Yes Jeanie did -quite a few times, and we had to remove a few pellets from their bottoms too! The old sisters laughed once more, 'we told them not to come near the mansion at nightime bt some were very cheeky! We said that they could use the barn and stables instead for their hobbies and not to disturb us.'

Slugger said, 'Well I think I best see if the Colonel is alright-can you both accompany me dear ladies?'

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
The kitchen was very quiet now that everybody had left to go and find the Colonel.  Steve was sitting at the large wooden table in the middle of the room.  He was very quiet too and Dora was anxious because he looked so sad.  “Steve, I’m sorry I hit you but...” “That’s OK Dora." He cut in.  "We seem to be doing things here we wouldn’t normally do, don’t we?  I think somebody or something has a huge hold over us when we’re here.  Don’t you feel that too?”  Dora nodded.  She watched as Steve took a piece of paper from his pocket.  It was crumpled now but he could still read it.
“What’s that?” Dora asked.  “Come and see.” Steve replied.  As Dora perused the scribbled copy of the family tree, Steve told her how and from where he had acquired it.  She followed his finger as he pointed to Uncle Tom's name and then down to his father’s name.  “So you are related Steve... you're the long-lost nephew." 
“I don’t know Dora.  I sort of remember things but I don’t know if its real - this house is weird.”  He was knitting his eyebrows together, trying to make sense of it all.  Dora put her arm around his shoulders. 
“Why don’t you talk to Amelia?  She seems a little bit more coherent than Cissie.  She may be able to help.”  Steve shook his head. 
“No, I’ve tried.  They only seem to be interested in whether I’ve slept with you or not.” Steve said.  Dora didn’t answer and he looked up at her.  She was close to him and he could see the blush in her cheeks. 
“Haven’t you noticed how they’ve been manipulating us Dora?”  She nodded again but didn’t say anything.  Steve put his hand on hers and squeezed it gently.  “I have to talk to Uncle Tom.” He said seriously.  “He’s the one with the answers – I’m sure of it.  I’m going to the stables.  I saw him there once... spoke to him.”  Dora’s arm fell from his shoulders as Steve stood up.  “Come with me?”  He pleaded.  Dora smiled.
“Try and stop me.” She said.  Steve smiled too and took Dora’s hand in his. 
They walked around to the stable block and all seemed quiet.  There were no voices but it was icy cold and Dora shivered.  Steve took off his jacket and put it around her and immediately she felt warmer.  Steve looked around, hoping that Uncle Tom would appear.  He called his name but Tom didn’t come.  “D’you think I’ve been imagining him Dora?”  Steve was confused, Dora could see that. 
“No Steve.  I saw him too.  We didn’t imagine him.  Call again.”  Dora said exactly what Steve needed to hear.  Her belief in him and encouragement meant everything to him.  He called Uncle Tom’s name again.  Gradually a wind started to blow.  It got stronger and stronger and louder and louder and howled through the stables.  Dora held on to Steve, closing her eyes from the dust which was encircling them.  When the wind was screaming as if in agony, the dark stables suddenly lit up brightly, blinding the couple so that they put their hands up over their eyes to protect them.  Then there were voices which started quietly and muffled and became clearer until Steve and Dora could understand nearly every word. Horses were neighing and snorting and hooves were clattering on cobbles.  Steve and Dora slowly opened their eyes, still holding on to each other.  They couldn’t believe what they saw.  The stables was a hive of industry.  Grooming, shoeing, saddling, unsaddling, mucking out,cleaning, feeding, watering.  There were stable lads everywhere going about their tasks, seemingly not seeing Steve and Dora, and one voice sounded above all others, barking out orders.  It was Uncle Tom... 

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Amelia and Cissie didn't move. Slugger, sensing their reluctance, thought the poor old dears didn't want to leave the warmth of the kitchen but an evil smile played on Cissie's lips and Amelia began flicking through a dusty old leather-bound book.

"Not to worry ladies, I can call him from here." Slugger pushed open the casement window and leaned out. “Colonel Sir!” he shouted “Its O.K. you can come out now. You won’t be shot. Cissie has told Jeanie to hold fire!”

The Colonel got up stiffly, brushing mud and leaves from his breeches. “Darn silly game this is” he muttered. All the same, he looked nervously over his shoulder as he limped across the gravel and up the steps to the mansion door. Slugger guided him over the threshold and into the stuffy kitchen which stank of over-cooked vegetables and cat pee. Cissie threw her arms up in the air and shouted “Oh it’s the Colonel, how lovely, we haven’t seen you for simply years.” Amelia rushed forwards and hugged him warmly. The Colonel, slightly confused by this over-enthusiast greeting, took a step back trying to remove Amelia’s clinging arms. He didn’t like or trust them one little bit. He noticed Ron sitting by the range with a far away look in his eyes.

“I might have known you’d be here. Where there’s trouble, there’s Ron!”

“Now, ‘ang on a minute Colonel. I ‘aint done nuffing wrong.”

“Well you look furtive, as if you have something on your mind.”

Ron smiled at the memory of Betty’s pretty face and cheeky grin.  “I ‘ave, as a matter of fact. A nice young maid by the name of Betty, as it ‘appens”

“Betty? Betty? Who in heavens name is Betty?” The Colonel shook his head. “Oh never mind. Where are Dora and Steve?” he demanded. But Ron had stopped listening and was staring into space.

“The last we saw of ‘em Colonel, they were heading out towards the stables.” Slugger replied.

“Let’s find them Slugger and get out of this wretched place. I’ve had enough for one night.” Amelia and Cissie trotted after them but the Colonel put up his hand. “No! Not you two. We don’t need your help.”

The sisters gave each other a meaningful look. Clearly they were not happy with this decision and Cissies’ hand strayed towards the big black cat sitting on the dresser.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
"Uncle Tom, I need to talk with you." Steve shouted over the din of the stables.  "Somewhere quieter than here." Steve shouted again.  Tom put up his hand and waved Steve over.  Dora followed closely behind him.  Tom took them over to the Tithe Barn.  He lit a lamp as they went inside.  Steve shuddered, remembering the sight that met him the last time he was there.  Dora felt him shiver and put her arm through his and he felt comforted by her touch.  Steve took the crumpled paper from his pocket and smoothed it out as best he could.  "Thank you for the Bible Uncle Tom... and the Family Tree."  Uncle Tom looked at him and grinned but he remained silent.  "I need to know if it's a true record."  Steve said.  Again, Tom said nothing.  "Well, is it?" Steve said, losing his patience slightly as he spoke.  He tried again.  "Is this you and is this my father?" he asked pointing to each of the names in turn.  Uncle Tom didn't need to see the paper.  He just nodded his head.  Steve bowed his head.  Dora hugged his arm closer to her.  "I don't believe it.  How can this be?" Steve said, still looking at the floor.  
Tom spoke this time.  "It's best not to know lad.  Just accept the fact that you have two more aunts to care for you and an uncle to watch over you."  He turned towards Dora.  "I see that you watch out for him too lassie - that's good."  He smiled and stared at her and Dora began to feel uneasy.  Tom continued.  "You have an aura about you lass. You're something special.  Ain't that right lad?"  He looked at Steve and then back at Dora.  "You can see me and hear me - not many can do both.  You will find the candlelabrum.  Mark my words.  And when you do then you'll both know the truth."  Dora and Steve looked at each other with the same puzzled expression on their faces and then back at Uncle Tom..... but he was gone!  

Someone's got to care

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »
The Colonel and Slugger-despite his earlier rear injury-swiftly made their way to the stables. The dim, surrounding light was now very slowly emerging into dawn. Birdsong, eminating from robins and blackbirds were already beginning to mark their territory with intermittant sounds. The new dawn was now finally breaking through the long, cold, darkness of the previous night.

'No- one 'ear Colonel sir,' said Slugger.

'Very good -we will try that Tithe barn over there.' It's becoming a lot lighter now. I just hope that stupid woman in the woods hasn't seen us and decides taking pot-shots at us again.' The Colonel was quite angry and was in no mood to be made a fool of by anyone at Witherby Hall- 'wild women, elderly reprobates, ghosts, golden candlelabras'-he was going to have none of it! All he intended to do was to find Dora and Steve-to make sure they were alright. Then to get out of the grounds and to let the police know that they were found, all safe and well! ' I suspect Sam will be up here very shortly with other officers to arrest that woman and to have a few words with Amelia and Cissie at the same time.'

'Yer-I quite agree Colonel. If I ever catch the woman-I'll have 'er across my lap, 'an tan her backside a dozen times-until she's learnt her lesson, like!' Slugger was equally furious.

'That blessed woman must be caught. We cant have every Tom, Dick and Harry taking pot-shots at you -can we?' Both the Colonel and Slugger had by now reached the Tithe barn.' Listen Slugger, I can hear voices inside- I think it's Dora and Steve!' The Colonel opened up the barn doors......... 

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »
Ron continued to stare into space, totally unaware of the sisters giggling by the dresser, pouring over their book and every so often giving him furtive glances. All of a sudden he found himself at the foot of the stairs again. He looked down at the wooden polished floor and smiled, remembering his encounter with Betty. Slowly he climbed the stairs; he felt a strange, floating sensation as if he were being propelled by an invisible force. At the top of the stairs was a long gallery. He looked from left to right. He decided to turn right, as that was the last place he had seen Betty looking over the banisters. He had a strange feeling that he was being watched, as if eyes were turning towards him as he walked past the rows of gilt-framed oil paintings hanging on the peeling flock wallpaper. One painting in particular caught his attention. An unsmiling man in Victorian clothes stared back at him. The large brown eyes and dark hair reminded him of someone. “Gawd, that don’t ‘alf look like Steve!” Ron exclaimed aloud.

“Who’s that? Who’s there?” squeaked a frightened voice. Betty peered out from behind a marble pillar.

“Oh! She said crossly “It’s only you!” But secretly, she was rather pleased to see this red-haired man again.