Author Topic: Book cover artwork  (Read 30702 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Book cover artwork
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
Here's something for Jane: Martin Gubl's cover on a Swedish version of Primrose Cumming's Rivals for Silver Eagle /1959 Stockhom.
Anne

Wow! Thanks Anne!! Have you read it yet? Is it good?

Can you tell I want to know all about it?  :D  :D  >1<

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
No I just fetched it from the local library, been so busy in the saddle have not had a chance yet. Been ages since I read anything in Swedish, so the reporting might take some time  :D So you have not read that book yourself? The cover is probably not the same you have in UK? No pics inside the book, what a shame...
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Aren't they great, those old cover pics?  :) From another time more innocent than this one we are living in...
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
So you have not read that book yourself? The cover is probably not the same you have in UK?

No I haven't anne and it's not the same cover. I've got the first two in that series but I can't afford to buy the 3rd as it's quite rare. I'll have to see if my local library can get it. Yes I love those old book covers, definately from a more innocent world than todays!  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Not the same as having a copy of your own, but at least you get to read it. Really curious to start the book now since I have absolutely no clue what the story & style will be like. Sometimes you can find old books that are completely outdated and others that have resisted the test of time nicely. I hope I can enjoy the book without having read the previous ones of the series?
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 06:36:49 AM »
Sometimes you can find old books that are completely outdated and others that have resisted the test of time nicely. I hope I can enjoy the book without having read the previous ones of the series?

I think her books have stood the test of time and are still an enjoyable read. But then I'm not 10 and into pink and glittery things, mobile phones, ipods etc. etc.  ::)  I haven't read many modern pony books that do it for me.

I hope you enjoy reading it anyway, but it is a shame there are no illustrations in the book you've borrowed  :(

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
Not the same as having a copy of your own, but at least you get to read it.

I've just been to my local library and there isn't a copy of ANY Primrose Cumming books in any library in my county  >47<

Maybe I'll stumble across a Rivals to Silver Eagles in a charity shop or car booty or re-mortgage my house to buy it  :D

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Wow, it must be a real collector's item! HOW much does it cost then?
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Only joking about re-mortgaging my house  :D  You can get it at the moment for about £45 but I've seen one for £340  :o

Still, £45 is a lot of money to me right now  ::)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
That is quite expensive! I've been reading the book and it is surprisingly contemporary, the storyline and the characters don't seem be from the 50s  :o Except for some old fashioned word choices it resembles a lot the modern ones, or perhaps it is the other way round  :)

I agree, there aren't that many good new pony books around, they have become very commercial and some series are written so fast that all the books in it are far too similar. Some of my favorites from the Finnish writers are from the beginning of the 70s by Marvi Jalo, I still remember reading them over and over again. Was really pleased to find them in the flee market and rereading them after 20 years, still valid even for an adult! Good quality lasts!
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it anne.  8)  Sounds like I'll enjoy it too when I eventually find a copy.

It's good fun finding and reading childhood favourites again. I agree, good quality lasts  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
Spending my time reading Primrose and Mary Wanless in turns, what a cultural treat  ;)
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »
Ah yes...riding with your mind  :)

Mary Wanless

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »
Yep, there it goes, my mind, and my bottom tries to follow...  ;D :D I bought Mary's latest book already a year ago, but noticed I was not ready for it then yet, so I put it in the shelf to wait. Now is the right time, but this is an issue for the horse topic...Excellent books, you can really pick things to use in the practise!
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
Yep, there it goes, my mind, and my bottom tries to follow

;D