Author Topic: Book cover artwork  (Read 30683 times)

Offline NokuMarie

• Cross Country Rider
  • "No matter where you go, there you are."
Re: Book cover artwork
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
Anne asked these questions in her gallery thread (1) How come the covers seemed to migrate intact from one language version to another? and (2) Can you say anything about the cover art in the 60s and 70s?

First of all, I was mostly involved on the production side rather than the bean-counting process, but I suspect it all boils down to copyright law and cost accounting. Any of the members who are published authors (like Rob) or someone who’s worked in the business end of publishing could probably provide a more cogent answer.

Re (1) “Cobbler’s Dream”, for example--This has been produced by a number of different publishers over a substantial period of time. Presumably each house had to negotiate independently with the Dickens estate for the right to publish the intellectual property in X language. Each house also had to deal with ownership of illustrations and photographs--if the rights to those were included, then the cover would likely have remained the same; if not, then new art would have had to be developed. I hope this explains (in a nutshell) why some covers are the same and others not.

Re (2) 1960s/1970s children’s books cover art in general:  According to Wikipedia, “Cobbler’s Dream” was intended for an adult (or at least young adult) audience. Yet, as I understand it, the Follyfoot television series was originally targeted toward younger adolescents, which I interpret as the 12 (old enough to grasp basic interpersonal relationships outside the family) to 16 year old range (beginning to form romantic attachments and developing an understanding of humanitarian issues). Obviously the romantic angle--mild though it was--attracted older teenagers. (I’ve only read this one book so far but it seems that the Paul/Steve and Dora relationship never progressed beyond a certain fondness in any of the subsequent books.) One has to remember that a veritable cultural revolution occurred between 1963 and 1971; a young teenager in 1963 was far less sophisticated than one approaching adolescence eight years later.  This might explain why the covers seemed to transition from illustrations (appealing to younger kids) to photocentric themes (older teenagers would be far more likely to purchase a book with their favorite heartthrob on the cover).

Anyway... that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!  Further illumination from those of you who are already accomplished children's authors (which wouldn't include me!), and the many artists among us, would be welcome... your perceptions of what constitutes appropriate and attractive cover art and so forth.

Considering how much the world has changed since the final Follyfoot book was written in 1976, it sure would be interesting to see what a contemporary designer would come up with for a 2010 reprint of “Cobbler’s Dream”!!!  • Sheryl

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
I really would like to see some modern publishers do a re- take on the old Follyfoot franchise  >50<  that would be fascinating in the politically correct climate of 2010 :o

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 02:09:16 AM »
Oh Squeaky... a politically correct Follyfoot!  Nooooooo  :o >38<   *runs away with hands over ears shouting La La La*
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline NokuMarie

• Cross Country Rider
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 02:18:39 AM »
Oh Squeaky... a politically correct Follyfoot!  Nooooooo...
Sabo... Surely the Squeaker was referring only to design features of the covers, not a reinterpretation of content.  No messing with content!!!  (We've already been all over that discussion... remember???)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »
I am running with Sabrina already just for the thought of PC new TV version!!! If you can't even mention the word bad nowadays in the children books, the hax would fall immediatelly on most of the old material  :o :( And as for the new cover art, we have seen the new book cover of Follyfoot, nothing to get excited about as for the pic, in line with all new horse books for youngster I think. Ok but ordinary, best part being that the new generation might discover wonderfull stories.

Thanks Sheryl for your insight views on the publishing business, I imagine you are right there.
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »
And as for the new cover art, we have seen the new book cover of Follyfoot, nothing to get excited about as for the pic, in line with all new horse books for youngster I think

You're right Anne, the new cover for Follyfoot is ordinary but thank goodness they didn't go down the pink and glittery route which so many pony book covers seem to have these days *shudder* That would have been as bad as messing with the content!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
Oh Squeaky... a politically correct Follyfoot!  Nooooooo  :o >38<   *runs away with hands over ears shouting La La La*

... and I'm following close behind Sabrina.   :(

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
Love the Thelwell books...I've ridden quite a few of these type ponies  ;D

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline NokuMarie

• Cross Country Rider
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »
Oh wow!  Hadn't thought about Thelwell in years... read all our library had to offer when I was young. The illustrations were marvelous and still are!  Thanks for thinking to post these!  :)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
They still have me laughing now, even though I know the books back to front and inside out  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
Hey I used to read those as well, had completely forgotten! I still remember how much fun they were  :D
Anne

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
Dont worry ladies I was only curious how the modern publisher wod interperate them  ;)

And I do agree that it's best to stick to the original versions and never tamper with them  :D

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
Love the Thelwell books...I've ridden quite a few of these type ponies  ;D

I have one of these illustrations on my noticeboard at work which one of my colleagues gave me when she knew I was going to start riding again.   ;D

Someone's got to care

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »
I love the Thelwell books too! I have half a dozen of them I got as a child. The illustrations are marvellous and the tiny little details he put into them are just brilliant. A marvellously talented man and a superb observer of humans and animals.
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
Here's something for Jane: Martin Gubl's cover on a Swedish version of Primrose Cumming's Rivals for Silver Eagle /1959 Stockhom.
Anne