Author Topic: Book cover artwork  (Read 30685 times)

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
Re: Book cover artwork
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »
I can remember as a young schoolboy reading the Secret Seven and later the Famous Five by Enid Blyton. New books in the latter series were still being published in the 60s. They were all about the adventures of children as I'm sure some of you will have read. The covers were usually good, but that's from distant memory and sadly, I don't have any copies now, all having been chucked away during house moves. >47<

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »
I can remember as a young schoolboy reading the Secret Seven and later the Famous Five by Enid Blyton. New books in the latter series were still being published in the 60s. They were all about the adventures of children as I'm sure some of you will have read. The covers were usually good, but that's from distant memory and sadly, I don't have any copies now, all having been chucked away during house moves. >47<

I read them too, Dave. And my elder daughter read them in the 90's. They are still available, although going on library issues they aren't as popular as they once were. There is so much children's literature out there nowadays, some so much more sophisicated than stories of even 10 years ago.
Shame you no longer have them. I sure some of mine have gone missing the same way.

Sue
x

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Glad you have read some Blyton books, Sue.  I suppose the 'sophisticated' stuff now is a bit like TV programmes. The ones of 40 years ago are pretty tame by today's expectations. But, I still enjoy the old ones.

The good news is I saved a lot of the books I acquired from my 20s onwards and have a couple of bookcases full, but most of these are factual or technical reading and none with covers worth showing on the forum.

Dave
x

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
One book was given to me on my birthday by my Grandmother in 1972 and the other by my mother. One is a story about a young Dachshund who has serious adventures, whilst making new friends and exploring the countryside and nearby woodland!

Little Grey Kitten is about a very young cat who decides to leave a great large house and decide to eventually live in an old barn  ::) He makes friends with all sorts of animals along the way including a cow and a horse  8)

Both books contain beautifull pictures esp the LGK and reminds me when I stayed on my Grandma's- (childhood friends)- old farm back in the early 70s  :)  One memory that sticks in my mind was being  bounced up and down on the pasenger seat (no seatbelts- bt that wod have made no difference) in the old transit van which travelled along the pot-holed farm track to town and back each day. Also a ride in a milk truck-which was even more bouncy!  ;D

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
I can remember as a young schoolboy reading the Secret Seven and later the Famous Five by Enid Blyton.

Enid Blyton books were very much of their time. Being considered in later years as "not PC" re-prints were altered which you can read about in this  link here

Strangely, a horse called "N*gger" in the later re-prints of Cobbler's Dream hasn't been changed!  :o

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Little Grey Kitten is about a very young cat who decides to leave a great large house and decide to eventually live in an old barn   He makes friends with all sorts of animals along the way including a cow and a horse 

Here are some more illustrations from it...love the horse with the blue harness  :)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
Yes they are lovely pictures - the book is full of them!

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
Fantastic and endearing to see & read about all these happy childhood (book) memories!! :)  >44<
I will feel today like the Pete's book's horse with the blue harness: off I go to my summer holiday, bucking happily out of the office door!  :D
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »
I came across this Horse and Pony Stories book a few weeks back, and discovered it included an extract from Follyfoot in it with illustrations by Victor Ambrus. The stories were chosen by Christine Pullein-Thompson who has written many pony stories herself.

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
The style in the illustrations looks very simular to the ones in my version of Black beauty, have to check this at home!
Anne

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »
God, I LOVED Enid Blyton, the Noddy series were the first books I read on my own.  Among my all time faves were the Secret Seven series; The Enchanted Wood; the Malory Towers and St Clares series (guess only the girls read the last two) and most of all Shadow the Sheepdog.  Coincidentally, a colleague and I got talking about EB a few weeks ago and she brought in a much loved, much worn Shadow the Sheepdog book that she'd always kept, she'd loved it so much too.

Re the PC.  I belong to an online children's writers' group and apparently nowadays it's frowned on to use certain terms in kids' books eg I was doing a tribute to EB writing in her style and was advised against "the bad gnome drank all the lemonade" as children's book publishers don't like authors to use the word "bad".

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
Re the PC.  I belong to an online children's writers' group and apparently nowadays it's frowned on to use certain terms in kids' books eg I was doing a tribute to EB writing in her style and was advised against "the bad gnome drank all the lemonade" as children's book publishers don't like authors to use the word "bad".

::)  Well I can't see what is wrong with the word "bad" but maybe I'm old fashioned  >48<

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
It would never occur to me that 'bad' was not PC in a children's story. What next? Glad we can use it in follyfanfiction although we are young at heart ;D

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
And the forum police don't mind the word bad either...so it can't be that bad!  :D  ;D

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
::)  Well I can't see what is wrong with the word "bad" but maybe I'm old fashioned  >48<

*shrugs* Me neither, but it seems these days they don't like words that have "negative connotations".