Author Topic: Book cover artwork  (Read 30700 times)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
Book cover artwork
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »
Hi all you book lovers! I have always enjoyed books, inside and out. I worked for a short time in a publishing house, only desk job, but enjoying being surrounded by books. We always got the privilege to pick the items we wanted from the pile that came fresh from the oven, heaven! I am running out of place for new books  >47< and with time you grow to appreciate the quality over quantity  :) In Finland we have an excellent public library system, where you can get anything, not just the academic stuff but all the latest novels as well. I read a lot, but nowadays I become more and more choosy on what books do I really want to have at my home. And in the end I did not choose that many items at work that I really wanted to keep, both for content and certainly for the cover art.

While in the publishing I realised how things have changed: nowadays most books are not even meant to have any long lasting value, there are certain seasons for mass selling and then they end up quite quickly in the sales basket. Too much is measured in monetary values  >48< And when it comes to cover art, you can very often drop the word art from the sentence. The covers are now picked from international photo data bases and the copy is more interested in where to put the label that the original artwork. This is of course exaggeration and does not apply to all, but there is a strong commercial tendency to do it all the time quicker and cheaper.

Feel free to shoot me down, all you people who might work in the business and know better  :)  >32< This is only my personal opinion and when it comes to art, the beauty lies in the eyes etc  ::) When I look at these covers for instance and compare them to the new books available at stores...Perhaps I am just addicted to the 60s visuals.  :)
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
Re: Book cover artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »
I collect mainly 2 types of books: children/youth series of horses of my own childhood, and they have to be the ones I read and really enjoyed. So it is more than just enjoying a nice looking old fashion cover art, there is a big dosis of nostalgia in it too. The other passion is old detective stories, there was a couple of great series in Finland between the 50s and the 70s. The latter ones I might even buy without any reading, I just fancy the cover artwork  :D I enjoy these graphic designs for their simplicity and austerity.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
SAPO series had some excellent books both inside and out, and are still collectibles. It is difficult to find them in really good conditions any more  >48<

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
And then to the ones I do read: I enjoy a good detective story, but I really don't want to read anything about international drug business or prostitution. I prefer a good old fashion session with Ellery Queen's deductions or lord Peter Wimsey and his monocle  :) Here's 2 different editions of Ellery.

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
The first one is my favorite, from an older dectective series called Salama (Lightning).

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
These were my all time first horse classics in the children's department, and still are to me  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
I could not read this too often, the story was heartbreaking at times...

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
And this is the pair I found yesterday. There is something unfinished about the two dimensional drawings, almost impressionistic. I did not like the covers that much when young, now I see them with different eyes. Lovely, I will spent this sunday reading the children books I found. Still raining...

Please, post your favorite cover art, I would love to see them!

Best regards,
Ms Marble   ::)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
PS:  I can see that one of your pics of Hardback Worlds End series (Summer) has the same cover pic as in the Finnish version I just posted you. The same happened with the FF books, how come? It would be interesting to know how did they exchange and distribute the cover art/pics in the 60s and 70s worldwide. I would have thought they might have been different at that time in every country. Nowadays everything is achieved & done in a click of a mouse but then? Anyone?
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »
I can see that one of your pics of Hardback Worlds End series (Summer) has the same cover pic as in the Finnish version I just posted you. The same happened with the FF books, how come? It would be interesting to know how did they exchange and distribute the cover art/pics in the 60s and 70s worldwide.

Yes I noticed that too, but I can't answer the question I'm afraid.

Great new thread Anne,  :) I shall be adding my own covers soon. I collect pony/old horse books so have quite a few I can add here.

Yes Black Beauty is a classic. Some people can't stand it because it is so sad, but Anna Sewell wrote it to raise awareness of the suffering of working horses in those times.

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
I shall be adding my own covers soon. I collect pony/old horse books so have quite a few I can add here.
Oh goody, we have the same line of interest! Can't wait  :D

Yes Black Beauty is a classic. Some people can't stand it because it is so sad, but Anna Sewell wrote it to raise awareness of the suffering of working horses in those times.
A job well done! The early version of Dora/Follyfoot philosophy  :)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
One of my favourite authors, who wrote many childrens books, is Primrose Cumming. Silver Snaffles and The Wednesday Pony she wrote in the 1930s and The Chestnut Filly in 1940. They are all beautifully illustrated by Stanley Lloyd. I'm a fan of the old-fashioned style pony book.

Silver Snaffles is probably her most popular book and is very collectible (and extremely expensive if you buy a first edition)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
What lovely covers ! From an era more innocent in many ways, can you post a couple of pics of the illustrations as well to see the style inside the books?
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
I just checked from the online library database in Helsinki and there is one book written by Primrose Cumming from 1959, I will order it  :) We have this fantastic online system where all the libraries in the metropolitan area are included, you can place your order through the system and the book is delivered to your chosen library near you! Do you have any public library systems in UK similar to this?
Anne

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
Hi . This seems a great topic  :) I will have a look at some cover books of mine when I was a youngster that have remained an impresson for me over the years. Your earlier book covers Anne were art noir I should think. S