Author Topic: Chat about Monica Dickens books  (Read 13740 times)

Offline NokuMarie

• Cross Country Rider
  • "No matter where you go, there you are."
Chat about Monica Dickens books
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
I'm probably gonna get smacked into next week for saying this... BUT... personally I've found the cover art for all the Follyfoot books to be rather unattractive.  Too bad they couldn't have been designed by the artist who did the "Messenger" series covers... those are VERY nice indeed!  >31<

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Monica Dickens' Other Childrens' Books Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:42:40 AM »
Those Worlds End pictures look somewhat familiar!   ???

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:49 AM »

Yes I quite agree, most of the follyfoot books especially the 1990 editions, were absolutely dreadful! The photographic covers with Steve and Dora are nice and I do like the World's End series covers.

It's also a shame that the Follyfoot books and Cobblers Dream didn't have illustrations in them  :(  (All her other childrens books do) Can you imagine if Lionel Edwards had illustrated them? Of course he wasn't around then but it would have been fantastic if he had done.  8)

Offline NokuMarie

• Cross Country Rider
  • "No matter where you go, there you are."
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
So far I have only the one Follyfoot book--a 1967 UK edition of "Cobbler's Dream"... with the horrible fishbowl headshot of a blaze-face horse wearing a halter.  It would be nice to have all the covers in a central location for easy perusal, Suzy... but then (for instance) you'd have to pull all the ones currently in "Polls" and move them somewhere else.  A lot of work for you!!!  Such a collection would be much enhanced by the addition of other-than-English-language versions.

:)  Just Googled Lionel Edwards but--in my humble opinion--the best-ever equine artists were Rosa Bonheur and Wesley Dennis! • S

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
Just Googled Lionel Edwards but--in my humble opinion--the best-ever equine artists were Rosa Bonheur and Wesley Dennis! •

Just googled them Sheryl....very nice  :) 

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
Re: chat about Monica Dickens books
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
I just found a version of Follyfoot I had never seen before. This one was published in 1976 by a book club that sold only by postal service. One of the oldest and biggest publishers here is Otava and they had an excellent children's book series called Otavan Nuortenkirjoja and almost all the Monica Dickens' books were published under that one during the 70s. So that is why I was quite surprised to find this! Not much since then has been published and I am glad, the covers from 80s and 90s for horse books were usually quite horrid! There is something very appealing about the 70s layout, with those stripes and all...  :)
Anne

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
Re: chat about Monica Dickens books
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
And the illustrator's idea of Paul/Steve  :)  All this with just 2,50e from a flee market, you can find them in very good conditions and these are not collectors' items in Finland. I wonder why.

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:12 PM »

my favorite cover of my World's end series! Every time seeing it brings back many many happy memories of endless reading sessions in my childhood. The ladies in the local library desk could not hold their smiles when they saw the piles of books I always took with me  :D  I just love these pastel colours!
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
I like that cover too Anne  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
Re: Chat about Monica Dickens books
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:32:05 PM »

It has been raining all day and what better things to do than just walk around in the misty rain with your umbrella in treasure hunting? (except a rerun of FF perhaps...) I went through all the flee markets and old books' shops and made some great bargains. Can I start a new topic on the cover art in general under this section? It does not have anything to do with Monica's books but would be an orphan in any other place in the Forum. I am interested in the graphic design & layout of certain old books and there must be others who also enjoy a lovely looking books and cover design!
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
I am interested in the graphic design & layout of certain old books and there must others who enjoy a lovely looking books and cover design!

Me too Anne,  :)

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Great book finds there Anne- I'm interested in the cover artwork- even tho the only book I have is called Stranger At Follyfoot which is a photograph of a chestnut coloured horse looking over a fence with a cottage in the background and a green, tree- filled hillside.

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
 I had a busy afternoon and to my surprise I found 9 old children series books, among other Follyfoot and some other authors books I adored as child. One I had completely forgotten, had not seen it for over 20 years anywhere, I just stood in the flee market with an idiotic smile on my face not believing my eyes! And cost only 1 euro, unbelievable. Has a beatifull sketched cover pic from the 60s... It was the first one of 2 books series and I just imagined what would be like to have them both... And there it was, in the next shop!!  >1< That is a rare catch, months can go by and I find nothing! Could not believe my luck  :)
Anne

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
I'm interested in the cover artwork- even tho the only book I have is called Stranger At Follyfoot which is a photograph of a chestnut coloured horse looking over a fence with a cottage in the background and a green, tree- filled hillside.
Never too late to get addicted in collecting something new!  :D And why not beautiful books? Could be something worse!
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:35 AM »
I just stood in the flee market with an idiotic smile on my face not believing my eyes!

Isn't it a great feeling to find a bargain book in charity shops, flea markets etc.  8)