Author Topic: Anniversary Fanfic - The Colonel's Announcement  (Read 6557 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Anniversary Fanfic - The Colonel's Announcement
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
Dora sat by the lake, a far-away look in her eyes. She had been getting rather restless of late. She didn’t know why, couldn’t put her finger on it, but it made her feel uncomfortable. Steve, watching her from the yard, had noticed Dora becoming more distant in the past few weeks, as if something was pulling her away from the farm. He heard whistling and boots shuffling behind him and turned to see Ron. “Colonel says we’ve gotta ‘ave a pow-wow in the study.” Ron nodded towards Dora. “Better rouse her ladyship from ‘er dreams”

“You’ve noticed it too then?” asked Steve.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
“What, you mean ‘er being more moody than normal? Yeah she don’t seem ‘erself do she? Better ‘urry ‘er up” he called over his shoulder “The Colonel don’t like to be kept waiting.”

“Dora”, shouted Steve, “we’re wanted in the study.”

“Oh what now!” she grumbled, just wanting to be left alone with her thoughts. Sighing heavily she ambled slowly back to the farm.

“Come on you lot, the Colonels got something important he wants to tell us, and I've got me bread to see to" said Slugger as Steve, Dora and Ron trooped into the study. Dora stopped in her tracks when she saw Lady Carne and the Colonel having a cosy cup of tea together. She had an awful feeling she was about to hear something she wasn’t going to like.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
“Hello Dora. It’s so nice to see you again” said Lady Carne smiling warmly at Dora. “And Steve, how is everything? I hope Geoffrey isn’t working you too hard?” She looked at Ron and just smiled, unsure what to say to this cheeky young man.

The Colonel coughed nervously and cleared his throat. Slugger, standing by the door with his arms crossed and a tea-towel over one shoulder muttered to himself “what ever it is he wants to say he wants to spit it out, otherwise my breads going to burn to a cinder!”

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Steve looked at Dora and could see she was having one of her premonitions again.

The Colonel looked at Lady Carne and she nodded and smiled encouragingly.

“I have an announcement to make” began the Colonel “As you know I’ve been friends with Martha for many years and….and…well…it’s like this….” he faltered, coughed nervously again, then blurted out “We’re going to be married!”

Ron’s jaw dropped open “Well, stone the crows!”

Steve grinned and shook the Colonel’s hand. “Congratulations Colonel. I’m really pleased for you both” he said, turning to smile at Lady Carne.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »
Dora stared at her Uncle, unable to say anything. She'd had a feeling for weeks now that something awful like this was going to happen. Well she wasn't going to congratulate them! Silently she left the room, but made sure she slammed the door on her way out.

Steve started to go after her, but Slugger put a restraining hand on his arm. “I’ll see to this son” he said and marched from the study.
Slugger was furious with her. He didn’t lose his temper with Dora very often but she had been blatantly rude and he wasn’t going to have her ruin the Colonels happiness.

“Oh dear” said Lady Carne “I didn’t think she would react like that. What ever is the problem Geoffrey, do you know?”

The Colonel shrugged sadly, he thought Dora would be pleased.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Slugger found Dora in Coppers stable. He stood quietly for a moment watching her furiously brushing coppers mane. “I think" he said trying to control his temper "that you should get back in there and apologise!”

Dora looked up sharply. “Why Sluggs? I don’t want Uncle to get married. Everything will change. I bet she won’t want this place and will try to get him to re-organise everything.”

“You’re not making any sense girl. Lady Carne loves horses. Why would she want to close Follyfoot?”

Dora sighed and threw down the brush. “Remember when Uncle tried to persuade me to send the horses to other stables in order to save money?

Slugger nodded.

“And the time he got that awful Phyllis Wetherby woman to come and organise Follyfoot?”

Slugger nodded again and shuddered at the thought of Phyllis Wetherby. He had a fear of old battleaxe women.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
“Well it will be the same now. Changes again! I can’t bear it!” Dora rushed out of the stable and into Sluggers arms, tears flowing down her cheeks.

“You and Lady Carne get on don’t you?”

Dora nodded and sniffed.

“It will be O.K. Dora. You’ll see.”

She roughly wiped the tears from her cheeks and nodded again.  

“Now go and congratulate your Uncle and Lady Carne and stop behaving like a spoilt brat!”

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Anniversary Fanfic - The Colonel's Announcement
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
Together they walked across the stable yard and back into the study. The Colonel looked anxiously at Dora but seeing her smile he breathed a sigh of relief. He knew everything would be all right now.

“My dear, whatever is the matter? asked Lady Carne.

Dora shrugged and looked at the floor.

“Come along now, I’m sure it can’t be as bad as all that” Lady Carne said in a brisk voice. “Nothing will change once your Uncle and I are married if that's what you're worried about.”

Dora looked at Lady Carne in a new light and thought to herself “She understands how I feel about things changing” and she beamed at her.

Yes, everything was going to be all right!

The End

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Anniversary fanfic..the Colonels Announcement
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
I love your anniversary fanfic Suzy... great pictures and nice to have the Colonel in the starring role.   8)  Well done.   >39<

Someone's got to care

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
Re: Anniversary fanfic..the Colonels Announcement
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
Yes - well done Suzy! A great read!

:)

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »

Well Done, Suzy. A lovely little feel good story.

Love the inclusion of the apt screencaps.

:)

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
What a lovely treat Suzy, thank you.   >39<

Pen.  :-* :-*
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
a really enjoyable aptly illustrated story, Suzy- good start to the anniversary year- congratulations! >29<
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline mjmdvm

• Cross Country Rider
  • A fan from long ago
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
Loved the story! >6<
MJM

Riding:  The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.  ~Author Unknown

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
Excellent Suzy  :) a short and sweet story with a happy ending!  :)  We need photos to accompany all of our stories now!   ;D