Author Topic: Belated 'Hello' to all from the Hebrides  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Soniks

• Head Groom
  • Dog Tired
Belated 'Hello' to all from the Hebrides
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
Okay, I should have done this some time ago but unfortunately with working away from home for half the year its just a matter of finding the time. I live with my wife Louise in the village of Bac just outside Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis in an old croft house overlooking the sea and mainland Western Scotland, been here 7 years originally from Bedfordshire. Loved the Follyfoot series as a young teenager (especially Dora !) and have been delighted to watch all the released DVD's. We don't have any horses in the family at the moment, we do have 'Milo' our Jack Russell, Toby the cat and about 30 sheep/lambs etc which my wife looks after. The forums brilliant and its great to be able to interact with members from all over the globe thanks to the power of the internet >41<

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Re: Belated 'Hello' to all from the Hebrides
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »
And a belated welcome to you Soniks! Wow, what a location.  >1<  I hope the half the year you work away is the cold half!  I bet it's simply gorgeous in summer though.
Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »
Hi Soniks A belated >33< from me too.

I visited Scotland this year and loved it. Sound like you live in an idyllic spot? 8-)

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »

A belated welcometo the forum, Soniks, from a fellow 'incomer' to Scotland.
I live on the East coast but adore the West coast, having visited it on a number of occassions. Earlier in the year staying on Skye and in Achiltibuie. Unfortunately as yet I've never ventured over to Lewis, but hopefully one day this will be rectified. My hubby  spent time on the Uists taking part in a bird survey in the 90s and still raves about the beauty of the Isles. 

Glad to hear you are enjoying the forum. :)

regards
Sue

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »
Hello Soniks!   >44< (I must say it does seem strange welcoming you now though  :)).   

Unfortunately I've never visited Scotland but it sounds as though you live in a lovely place - I'll get my map out and try and find you.

Glad you're enjoying the forum.   >19<   

Someone's got to care

Offline Soniks

• Head Groom
  • Dog Tired
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
Hello Soniks!? ?>44< (I must say it does seem strange welcoming you now though? :)).? ?

Unfortunately I've never visited Scotland but it sounds as though you live in a lovely place - I'll get my map out and try and find you.

Glad you're enjoying the forum.? ?>19<? ?

When the BBC weather lady comes on the telly, look at the far north and left of Scotland for Stornoway which is marked on her weather map, I live about 5 miles from there....(it'll be under the rain cloud!)? :( ;)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
Hello Soniks!? ?>44< (I must say it does seem strange welcoming you now though? :)).? ?

Glad you're enjoying the forum.? ?>19<? ?

When the BBC weather lady comes on the telly, look at the far north and left of Scotland for Stornoway which is marked on her weather map, I live about 5 miles from there....(it'll be under the rain cloud!)? :( ;)

I'll put my brolly up and look out for you then.   >43<

Someone's got to care

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
  • Les Chevaux Du Soleil..
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
Hello, Salut.... 8-)
``That`s craftman`s work! I`m not crafty as some!``..Dora Maddox to Ron Stryker.

Offline Julia

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »
Hello Soniks

You place sounds lovely.  I have a friend who lives on south Ronaldsey but I don't know where that is in comparison to you.  My mother-in-law also lives in Scotland (we live in Bristol so I think Scotland is the perfect place for her!) in Cornhill near Aberdeen.  We have visited and I love Scotland.  We nearly bought a crofters cottage up there many years ago but someone put in a higher bid.  Such a shame, I know I would have loved it.  But then again, would have been closer to the mother-in-law......!!

Offline Soniks

• Head Groom
  • Dog Tired
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
Hi Julia

South Ronaldsay is on the Orkney Islands which is more John O'Groatish on the North East tip of Scotland, never been to the Orkneys as yet...We are on the North West tip of Scotland more or less opposite the Isle of Skye but just slightly higher on the map...if your mother in law is in Aberdeen she's not that far away then, just a trip on the EasyJet down to Bristol airport ? The worlds a small place these days... ;D

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
My mother-in-law also lives in Scotland (we live in Bristol so I think Scotland is the perfect place for her!) in Cornhill near Aberdeen.?

I know Cornhill, if it's the same place, Julia. Think there could be two Cornhills in Aberdeenshire! :-?  We have bought our last two cars from there! ::)

Sue
 :)

Offline Julia

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
Thankfully(!) she doesn't visit too often Soniks.  We do get on a bit better nowadays - made easier after her move away from Bristol.  I have never really been forgiven for taking her favourite boy away from her and was referred to for many years as "that woman" but, after being married 23 years, I think she's got the message that I'm here to stay!!

Sue, I have been to Cornhill a couple of times and remember it being quite nice.  But next time you buy a car, if you hear an elderly woman with a west country accent, steer well clear!!

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »
Sue, I have been to Cornhill a couple of times and remember it being quite nice.? But next time you buy a car, if you hear an elderly woman with a west country accent, steer well clear!!

Unfortunately, Julia, on hearing the west country accent, my hubby would no doubt start up a conversation with her as he's from Gloucestershire!!!! ::)

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
My mother-in-law also lives in Scotland (we live in Bristol so I think Scotland is the perfect place for her!) in Cornhill near Aberdeen.?

I know Cornhill, if it's the same place, Julia. Think there could be two Cornhills in Aberdeenshire! :-?? We have bought our last two cars from there! ::)

Sue
 :)

Yes, and I got my car insurance there! ;D

D >31<

And a warm welcome soniks.

Offline Julia

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Well don't say you haven't been warned!  What part of Glos is your hubby from Sue?