Author Topic: The Flying Scotsman  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
The Flying Scotsman
« on: May 22, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
The powers that be, in their wisdom yesterday, decided not to let on what time The Flying Scotsman would be coming to Salisbury because of a health and safety issue of overcrowding in the station.  (Even though we have quite a large station!).  Mr Loopy and I (and many other people) knew it was coming from Paddington sometime around lunchtime so, like we Brits do, we walked over two fields in the wind and rain to a lovely bridge with a long straight track on the London line - perfect for seeing the Scotsman..... or so we thought.  After being there for an hour a lady rang her friend who happened to be at the station looking at the Scotsman!  It had come into Salisbury via Warminster on a track the other side of the city.  Aaarghhh!    >38<

Never mind though... she was leaving Salisbury around 2pm for a round trip to Southampton.  Ha ha!  there's only one line out of Salisbury to Southampton, we'll find another nice bridge with a long straight track and watch it go out... still in the pouring rain.  At 1.30pm we were in place and very excited.  2pm came and went.  >:(  There were rumours it was 2.30pm but that came and went too!  :(  "HOW CAN YOU LOSE A TRAIN?" somebody shouted!  We Brits still stuck it out.  The tension was enormous.. nobody wanted to be the first to leave and miss it! 

Suddenly, a man who looked like he was a train fanatic (if you know what I mean  :D) arrived on our bridge.  "It's leaving the station at 3.02pm" he said - "I've just come from there."  Wow!  Only 22 minutes to wait.  Finally, at 3.10pm we saw steam and then the wonderful sight of 60103 Cathedrals Express the Flying Scotsman come towards us down the track.  The biggest cheer went up from everybody.

Was it worth it.... you bet! 

https://youtu.be/GM76tBDFAeg

Someone's got to care

Offline Tony

• Western Rider
Re: The Flying Scotsman
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
Glad it was worth the wait  >116<  I hope it comes near me soon  :)

Nice video Loopy >41<
You don't stop riding when you get old - you get old when you stop riding.

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:38 AM »
I'm glad you managed to see her after all that Loopy! 

We were lucky enough to see her going through Chester-le-Street on her way to Newcastle the week before last.  We decided we wouldn't get anywhere near Durham station as her stop there had been well publicised so went just down the road to the local station instead.  We got a great view but I didn't manage any video as a woman in front of me moved her arm right in front of my camera at the crucial moment!! Grrrrr!

>56< >56< >56< >56<
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline MidnightZodiac

• Western Rider
  • In silence they scream.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
Great movie Loopy. >41<
"We shape horses, then they shape us, but, we must be what we want our horses to become."

Offline Lord Charles

• Show Jumping Champion
  • I can't BEAR to be away from Follyfoot!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
Fantastic, Loopy!

The only time I've seen that engine was as a pile of bits at York Railway Museum when she was being overhauled!
Long live Follyfoot!

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:03:01 AM »
Wow, doesn't she look great with that big cloud of steam! Great video, Loopy and I agree, well worth the rain  >41<
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Tony

• Western Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
The Flying Scotsman came through south Wales today and I must say it was magnificent   >56<

It was pulling eleven coaches and had a diesel loco at the back giving it a little help, I think. There was very little steam/smoke coming from the funnel, more of a small smoldering fire. It looked like it was being pushed to me.  >48<  :o

Didn't have my camera   >367<
You don't stop riding when you get old - you get old when you stop riding.

Offline MidnightZodiac

• Western Rider
  • In silence they scream.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:07 AM »
The Flying Scotsman came through south Wales today and I must say it was magnificent   >56<

It was pulling eleven coaches and had a diesel loco at the back giving it a little help, I think. There was very little steam/smoke coming from the funnel, more of a small smoldering fire. It looked like it was being pushed to me.  >48<  :o

Didn't have my camera   >367<

There are several reasons why there's a diesel on the other end.... Some practical, some Health and safety. >103< For example steam loco's used to heat carriages with steam, but nowadays carriages nearly all rely on electric heating which the steam locos can't generate, but diesels can... Then there are very strict rules about setting back (backing up), and it's easier to 'reverse' the train using the diesel at the rear end.

Also, the majority of sidings run round loops etc are now gone from termini (due to nearly all passenger trains being consisted of multi car units which can be driven from either end) so it's almost essential to have motive power on the rear end that can extract the complete train from dead ends etc.
"We shape horses, then they shape us, but, we must be what we want our horses to become."

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
... Didn't have my camera   >367<

>47<

Someone's got to care