Author Topic: North Yorkshire Accents:  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
  • Les Chevaux Du Soleil..
North Yorkshire Accents:
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:10 AM »
I've often wondered how authentic were the Regional accents to the Follyfoot locale..I know that Dora being from London, Steve with his vague Shakespearian lilt, from parts undetermined & Slugger, an ex itinerant Boxer, did not matter...But am i, {with only a generic knowledge of various British dialects} correct to assume that the background characters ie. the Tradesmen, Shopkeepers, Doctors etc. in short, The local Colour, spoke with the correct ?linguistic tones? I would assume.. And what of Ron, the Colonel,Lewis, Chip,Callie? ....I do know that variants, sometimes quite substantial, do distinguish different areas of Britain... :-?
``That`s craftman`s work! I`m not crafty as some!``..Dora Maddox to Ron Stryker.

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
Re: North Yorkshire Accents:
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:25 AM »
Hello Axxell,

I am a real novice Follyfoot fan having only recently discovered this site & not having seen the shows since the 1980's repeats. I've now finally got series 1 & 2 on dvd & I'm putting in some serious revision as I feel really underqualified!

However as a Yorkshire lass I feel on safer ground to comment on the accents (West Yorkshire by the way - I hope you don't think I'm nit-picking but we get very territorial!) Anyway as far as I've got into series 1 the accents seem really good, the old ex-miner in One White-foot Charlie speaks just like my Uncle & the young lad Gip is really authentic too, just enough dialect to sound right & yet not require subtitles!

And we musn't forget that Steves accent being from Bradford was genuine too, not broad Yorkshire by any means but very nice all the same!
Hope this is helpful...

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:11:21 AM »
Hello Hollinhare: Yes, the old gentleman ex-miner, Mr Platt, later seen in "The Innocents" had a really good, strong accent!!.. Truly, a very sympathetic character!!....By The Way, "One White Foot Charlie" aka "Jacky" is one of my fave episodes! ;)
``That`s craftman`s work! I`m not crafty as some!``..Dora Maddox to Ron Stryker.

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
Hi Axxell,

I think it'll be a while before I catch up with Mr Platt again in 'The Innocents' I'm only managing to watch a couple of episodes or so a night at the moment when everyone's in bed & I can get some peace & quiet! I do recognise the actor though but I can't think what else I've seen him in.

Obviously I can't really say which is my favourite episode yet - probably Birthday at Follyfoot at the mo but that's mainly because I'm overexcited at seeing something I apparently watched being filmed (can't remember it because I was too young! Life is so cruel - perhaps I should get regressed!?) I'll have to get back to you ...

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »
Yes Hollinhare, as noted several times on this chatsite over the years, it must be quite a surprise to view the series again after many, many years!!.... A pleasant Re-Discovery!! :)

Offline timb9095

• Dressage Rider
  • Its too hot for stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
yes, enjoy yourself Hollinhare

Timb

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
yes, enjoy yourself Hollinhare

Timb

Thankyou, I am! I just hoping it's not too long until series 3 is released, I'm going to have serious withdrawal symptoms...

Offline Howard Kettle

• New Rider
  • I Love Dora
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
I think it'll be a while before I catch up with Mr Platt again in 'The Innocents' I'm only managing to watch a couple of episodes or so a night at the moment when everyone's in bed & I can get some peace & quiet! I do recognise the actor though but I can't think what else I've seen him in.

I always think of Bert Palmer ,who played old Mr.Platt,as Uncle Stavely ("I 'eard that...pardon!")-the role he played in the first three series of the mid-seventies BBC sitcom,'I Didn't Know You Cared'.The exteriors for that show were also filmed in Yorkshire,in Sheffield