Author Topic: THE CLAP CAFE?..location  (Read 27750 times)

Offline marshall

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
THE CLAP CAFE?..location
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »
I was watching the episode "THE STAND STILL HORSE??or i may have got the name wrong maybe its the stand alone horse ...anyroad in it there is a pub and what appears to be a cafe it looks like the name of the cafe is THE CLAP CAFE?? does anyone know where this roadside pub/cafe is ..and if indeed its still there..in the episode Steve Dora and horses stop outside on way back to Follyfoot ;) ;)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: THE CLAP CAFE?..location
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
From memory I believe it was called the Clap Gate Inn.

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:51 PM »
 I'm almost certain that the Clap Gate Inn used in Follyfoot is in Kearby, a small village just north over the river from Harewood. I've found 2 references to it on the Yorkshire Evening Post site - there's a photo too & it looks like the same place to me. It was run from 1966 - 1977 by Denis & Barbara Nottingham, apparently they owned a racehorse also called Clap Gate which was trained by ex-jockey Jimmy Etherington at Malton. The article says that local farmer Bert Verity has had a Clap Gate sign made & put next to what was the pub so no one can ever forget the Clap Gate & all the good times that were had there.
 So obviously the Clap Gate Inn has gone but I wonder if the building is still there? I remember hearing an ex-landlady ( Barbara Nottingham?) phoning in to the dj on Radio Leeds just prior to the interview with Jane Royston & having lots to say about Follyfoot including that they themselves had filmed the making of episodes there (it does appear in at least 1 other episode doesn't it?- I can't remember which!) & had lots of video of the cast & crew. Wouldn't it be brilliant to see that footage!
 Anyway I'll have to persuade poor long suffering family to go on a Clap Gate hunt sometime soon...

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »

Thanks for all this info Hollinhare, very interesting  :)

And yep, I'd love to see that footage too!

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
Me too!
Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
 >41<

Offline marshall

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
thanks for all the info re pub,I see on a old yorkshire pubs website some info on the pub...sorry I do not have a link ..but it said the pub was in the village of Sicklingham(not  100%) and that the pub closed in 1997 and is now used for residential use..Ill pop the website in for tgthis source...I had a look at the map and could see the village ...hope this is usefull and perhpas hollingare can visit some time great photos by the way ..i bet that new book would like them

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
Funny you should mention this, I asked my mum last week if she knew where the Clap Gate pub had been & she said she thought it was 'out Sicklinghall way' I think there must have been 2 of them. There are 2 articles in the YEP archives that mention the one in Kearby, the first has a photo attached ... I don't know how to post links properly but if you type www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/yorkshire-diary?articleid=2839415 ... it should take you to a page saying 'YEP man flattened by boxing giant' scroll down & you'll see 'Pub couple on a winner' & a photo of the Clap Gate Inn - it looks like the right place to me what does everyone else think?

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:12:39 AM »
Now there's a thought, I wouldn't mind living where scenes from follyfoot were filmed :)

Offline mjmdvm

• Cross Country Rider
  • A fan from long ago
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
Me neither! I'd move to Yorkshire at the drop of a hat! If ONLY there wasn't a little detail like currency exchange rates!  I wouldn't care if the house here didn't sell. Heck I'd GIVE it to a family that lost their home in the economic meltdown.  
MJM

Riding:  The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.  ~Author Unknown

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline madmick

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I called at the Clap Gate pub a few times for a drink with my late brother and freinds. This would be about 1973-74 when I was a teenager (where have all the years gone). It was crammed full of horse racing regalia, Jockeys silks and caps. whips and lots of racing photos. They also held a disco there every Saturday night. It was at Sicklinghall but I don't remember any Follyfoot photos etc. Maybe I was more interested in the girls at the disco, sorry Dora!!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Here's the Clap Gate now. ?Four lovely cottages.

Someone's got to care

Offline 900i

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:17 AM »
Hollinhare, I can confirm the article you quoted in the YEP is the real deal.

I was the resident DJ here on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights back in the mid 70's.

Happy days.

Offline 900i

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
This is a Google Map link to the Clapgate Inn.  It's the long building and is now residential.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
Hi 900i

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the google map link. :)