Author Topic: He, knows, She knows  (Read 6107 times)

Offline lorraine

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
He, knows, She knows
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »
 :'(Hi everyone,  I have just bought the 39 episode DVD from e.bay, it is in a very nice case but the picture quality of some of them is very very  poor, it was £18.99 not too bad but I will have to buy the official one which you say is coming out in August I think the quality on this will be an awful lot better.  I have just been watching He knows, She knows, that poor old man, how could anyone be so cruel as Ron and Dora did not seem to care, I don't think Steve had ever done anything like that.  Anyway over 30 years later they are still great.  Lorraine

Offline Squeezynz

• Carriage Driver
  • Follyfoot Forever
    • Squeezynz Fanfiction Archive
Re: He, knows, She knows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »
Hi Lorraine,

Unfortunately most of the episodes you would be viewing were last broadcast back in the 80's......and the broadcast quality was just as poor as the copy quality you are seeing now.....trust me, it's true. ;)

We're all hoping that the new release of the series on DVD will mean that at last we have clean, clear images (maybe even digital-be still my heart!!) to view. :)

At least they couldn't be any worse than what's currently available :D

cheers

Louise 8-)
"To live would be an awfully big adventure" PP 2003 movie.

Offline tvarksouthwest

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »
The final seven episodes of Series 3 would not have come from off-air recordings, since these were not broadcast during the 1988-89 re-run. So where these were sourced from heaven only knows. The first seven episodes of Series 3 on the bootleg DVDs are NOT off-airs from this re-run; they have the YTV idents and break slates intact and have not been brutally edited in the middle to fit a time slot.

The exception to this is "Miss Him When He's Gone" which IS an off-air taping. A fact given away shamelessly by the final frame of a shoe advert before the titles. Another oddity - "The Standstill Horse" on the DVDs is preceded by an LWT Children's ident and announcement from Keith Harrison ("cue The Settlers!"). This is particularly odd, because in most regions Series 1 was shown as part of No. 73/Get Fresh in early 1988 - indeed I have the original Get Fresh links into "Standstill Horse" with Gaz Top on video. Perhaps LWT had local programming commitments on the day in question and had to show it in another slot?

Interestingly, the 1989 repeat of "The Challenge" on ITV came close to being cancelled at the last minute, since it was the day of the Marchioness river boat tragedy and the children's programmes which immediately followed the end of TV-am were dropped to make way for news coverage.

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
  • Les Chevaux Du Soleil..
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:51:58 AM »
Here in Canada, the 1988,89 rerun was also severely edited, for that extra commercial break :(, the quality of my taped vhs's is not too bad, there are 9 or 10 episodes missing, but i have the David Hemmings & final episodes from the final season.....
``That`s craftman`s work! I`m not crafty as some!``..Dora Maddox to Ron Stryker.

Offline tvarksouthwest

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »
But in the UK there were no commercial breaks - IBA rules at the time disallowed half-hour childrens' shows from having adverts. Only in the late 1990s was this rule lifted and - somewhat predictably - in the 12 weeks leading up to Christmas.

Offline Axxell

• Carriage Driver
  • Les Chevaux Du Soleil..
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:00:24 AM »
Well,i can tell you that the several "nostalgia" networks featuring 1/2 hour comedy sitcoms from the 60s & 70s, all lack an extra few minutes due to a surplus bloc of adverts!! It's when one gets the official dvd box set, then compares  it to the reruns taped several years ago on these specialty networks that the omissions are noticed!! Hate it!! :-/ Very annoying!! >:(
``That`s craftman`s work! I`m not crafty as some!``..Dora Maddox to Ron Stryker.

Offline garej

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:43:46 AM »
Even though Follyfoot is coming to DVD, in reality the official copies may not be much better than the unofficial ones.

I say that, because I also own another Network DVD release - Upstairs, Downstairs. Several episodes have been cut, due to the fact that the master copies have suffered damage. You do have to remember that any VHS tape will deteriorate, and even then it all depends on the state of Yorkshire TV's (or whatever they like to call themselves these days) archives in the first place (I suppose in the 70s nobody bothered about keeping the air temperature right) on how they survive to the present day.  Due to the tape damage on the original copies of Upstairs Downstairs, these have been cut from the DVD release.

Even though Upstairs Downstairs claims to be "digitally remastered" (I dont think we have any evidence to support at the moment that Follyfoot is, though I suspect as they have taken the trouble to do that with the other Yorkshire TV horse programme "Flambards" they have done that. "Flambards" is also a Network release), there is still a lot of quality issues regarding sound and picture. According to Updown.org even foreign editions retain better quality than Network's release.

Because of that, I think that there will be some edits when compared to an 1980s home recording, but until someone here will compare it with an "unofficial" copy, we wont know.

But at least it could be worse........it could be junked. Maybe Series 2 and 3 have been junked too (or part of it, could explain why not the whole of series 3 was repeated in the 1980s), but hopefully not.

Offline Squeezynz

• Carriage Driver
  • Follyfoot Forever
    • Squeezynz Fanfiction Archive
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »
The final seven episodes of Series 3 would not have come from off-air recordings, since these were not broadcast during the 1988-89 re-run. So where these were sourced from heaven only knows. The first seven episodes of Series 3 on the bootleg DVDs are NOT off-airs from this re-run; they have the YTV idents and break slates intact and have not been brutally edited in the middle to fit a time slot.

well, they may not have been broadcast in the UK or other places, but the series in its entirety was played in NZ.   ;)

I think you'll find that the available 39 episodes have been sourced from a variety of countries, and different individual collections, hence the different entries and exits and series breaks etc.

cheers

Louise 8-)
"To live would be an awfully big adventure" PP 2003 movie.

Offline Nik

• Dressage Rider
  • Founder & administrator 2004-2009
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
Hi Garej & tvarksouthwest,

If you read some of the very new posts you will see that some fans now have the official DVD release of series One.
They say that the quality is much better than the pirated DVD's on ebay. The DVD covers also state clearly that they are "complete and uncut".

As far as where the series 3 episodes come from.... I can tell you they were probably not from the broadcasts anywhere in the world, but direct from Yorkshire Television themselves. During my involvment with the website and forum I have had the pleasure of seeing a set of original vhs tapes which included the indents and the complete countdown 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4 and so on with other pre-broadcast recorded stuff on. I believe several complete sets of these were produced and guess that the DVD copies to which you refer probably came from one of these sets.

Nik.
Nik - Follyfoot forum founder and editor 2004-2009 | Follyfoot website researcher and contributor 2004-2007

Offline tvarksouthwest

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
So does that mean the official DVDs have the Yorkshire TV idents at the start?

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »
Yes they do. Got mine on Friday!! 8-) :D

Hope everyone's arrive soon.

enjoy.

Pen  :-* :-*
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline tvarksouthwest

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »
Excellent! I've just ordered mine from HMV (no pre-order option available on Network site ATM).

Offline Nik

• Dressage Rider
  • Founder & administrator 2004-2009
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »

I'll pass on that one, I guess it will depend on their editing,

Nik
x.
Nik - Follyfoot forum founder and editor 2004-2009 | Follyfoot website researcher and contributor 2004-2007

Offline tvarksouthwest

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
Just a shame it isn't a contractual requirement that TV programmes have to be presented on DVD exactly how they were shown originally - which would mean any ITV company idents couldn't be removed where they feature. That would have stopped Delta Music removing the Southern animations from Worzel Gummidge...

I believe Network's original policy was to remove pre-programme idents from ITV programmes, in line with other video houses, but they changed their remind after receiving complaints about the absence of the HTV animations from their VHS release of Robin Of Sherwood.

Offline garej

• Stable Hand
  • I Love Follyfoot!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »

I have only watched "Dora" so far, but that one has the correct Yorkshire TV indent in front of it.