Author Topic: Follyfoot- The Dawn of a new era  (Read 2076 times)

Offline pete.r.

• Steeplechasing Star
Follyfoot- The Dawn of a new era
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
               Follyfoot- The Dawn of a new era

It was late Friday evening.
"Don't forget everyone" said the Brigadier, "It's Mick the Maulers birthday tomorrow. He'll be 65 so I hope you've
all got him something nice".
The Brigadier was a close friend of the late Colonel, and after his death he came to help out at the farm.
No one knew his real name. And Mick the Mauler was an old sparring partner of Slugger, sadly now in poor health
in an old peoples home in Leeds. Like Slugger, he shared his passion for painting too.
"I've bought him just the thing," said Oliver. Oliver was the son of Steve and Wendy, he was about 20 years old. His
mum and dad parted many years ago.
"I've bought him some paint and paint brushes".
"Excellent said the Brigadier. Mick loves painting, portraits and the like, they'll come in handy."

"Er, well, not exactly", said Oliver, I've bought him 5 litres of Scarlet emulsion and a couple of 2" paint brushes.
I thought as he'd got time on his hands he could paint my loft, it's not been done since dad handed it over to me".
"Thats not what I had in mind" said the Brigadier.

"And I got him a nice pension book holder" said Dawn.
Dawn is the new Mistress of Follyfoot, about 21 years old, the daughter of Dora and Lord Beck. The marriage only
lasted a few months. Lord Beck offered to bail Follyfoot out when it ran into financial difficulties if Dora married him.
But it was just a marriage of convenience, no love involved on Dora's part, Steve was her one love.

"Let's see" said Oliver. "It's pink! Pink" he repeated.
"I know, said Dawn, but it's all they had. It was half price though."
"Good grief" said the Brigadier.

Just then Callie walked in. Callie's married to Ron, they have a 20 year old son Charlie, a chip of the old block.
"Just been into town to get Mick's present" she said.
"Well I hope it's an improvement on what we've got so far" said the Brigadier.
"A pair of shoes and a hat" said Callie.
"That's more like it" said the Brigadier.
"Let's have a look, blimey" said Oliver" Where did you get the hat from, Mothercare? It's far too small".
"And look at the shoes" said Charlie. "They're massive, they'd fit a clown".
"Well, I'm no good at sizes" said Callie. "I didn't know".

"What've you got, Charlie," said Dawn.
"A cake" said Charlie. And he brought out of the cupboard a massive cake that looked like a fried egg with saugages
sticking out of it.
"They're the candles" said Charlie. "It's Micks favourite breakfast."
"Good Lord", said the Brigadier.
"And another surprise" said Charlie. "Look at the Lightning Tree. They all went outside and looked.
Charlie pressed a switch on the tree trunk. The tree lit up with red and white flashing lights.
"Got them from a mate of me dads cheap" said Charlie.
"Brilliant" said Dawn.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, and a loud bang and one by one the lights exploded. Charlie stood there.
When the smoke subsided his face was black.
"Hope the candles on his cake fare better" laughed Oliver.
"Better warn the local Fire Brigade" said Dawn.

Back in the house they went.
"What have you bought Brigadier," said Oliver.
"Ah well" he replied, "Micks very difficult to buy for, so I played safe and got him Keith Floyds latest cookery book,
Mick loves cooking, especially fry-ups."
"Lets have a look" said Charlie. "Ah the paperback edition. Thats perfect, look".
And he put it under the broken leg of Mick's chair.
"Thats better, it doesn't rock now" said Charlie. "Floyds finally fixed false faulty furnished farm fixture fantastically fast
fortunately. Furthermore......"
"Thats enough" said the Brigadier. "Forget the flippin funnies."

Just then in came Ron. "Just called to drop of Micks retirement present" he said.
"What is it?" asked Dawn.
"A pair of used boxing gloves" Ron replied. "Bought them at the auction. Signed by Cassius Clay. Must be worth a fortune."
"Oh brilliant" said the Brigadier, "Mick'll love them."
"Lets have a look" said Charlie. "Dad, did you have your glasses on when you read the label."
"No son"  said Ron.
"It doesn't say Cassius Clay. It says Class1 use only" replied Charlie.
"Oh dear" said Ron.
"Should've gone to Specsavers" said  Dawn.

"This retirement party's going to be a disaster" moaned the Brigadier.
Just then in walked Mick the Mauler, hobbling.
"Hurt my foot " He said," Slipped on the kitchen floor. Need some red paint to touch it up. Foots all swollen, shoes
are killing me, need some bigger ones now. And this hats stretched with washing, need a smaller one to allow for that.
Pension books arrived, bright pink now thanks to it being accidentally washed with Dawns towel, could do with a
matching holder, and I've lost my copy of Floyds cookbook. Had it years. Still, 65 tomorrow, might get some fireworks
you never know. We could play games as well, like eating an unusual birthday cake wearing a pair of boxing gloves.
That would be fun. Except that I havn't any boxing gloves now. Oh well, off to bed. See you in the morning. Hope
to get some useful presents tomorrow. I'll be lucky, bit late to drop hints what I want now. Even Amazon don't
deliver that quickly".

Oliver, Dawn, Ron, Callie,  Charlie and the Brigadier stood open mouthed in bewilderment.

Next morning Dawn and Oliver were up at 6.00 a.m.
Mick was already at the table opening the birthday presents that had been left out for him.
"I can't believe it" he said. "EverythingI asked for late last night I got. How did you do it? How did you know?"
Dawn smiled. Oliver coughed.
"Just need the fireworks now" said Mick.

Just then the roar of Charlies Kawasaki motorbike could be heard, and the banging of the gate as Charlie kicked it open
with his foot, his headlights beaming in the dark. Charlie walked over to the window, saw Mick, and gave him the
thumbs up sign.
Then he pressed the switch on the Lightning Tree trunk. Again the lights lit up the darkened yard and flashed, again
they exploded one by one in a cloud of smoke.
"Blimey", said Mick," I must be dreaming, fireworks as well. Can't believe it".

Breakfast time, and out came the cake.
"Brilliant" said Mick," It looks like a fry up," and he put the boxing gloves on ready to eat his piece.
Just then the door opened. "Special delivery for Mick the Mauler" said the postman.
It was a large envelope. Mick took his gloves off and opened the card that was inside, read it and smiled.
"Who's it from Mick?" asked Dawn.
"Can't believe it" he replied, "It's from me old boxing mate Cassius Clay.How did he know it was my birthday?"
"All the best for your 65th it read. You're a knockout."

"I'm gobsmacked".
Dawn Charlie and Oliver all looked at each other. They were gobsmacked too.

"This has been the best day of my life ever" said Mick."Nothing could ever possibly spoil this day".
Just then the door opened and in walked the Brigadier, Ashen faced.
"I'm sorry to tell you this Mick" he said.
"The old peoples home just rang up, your old sparring partner Sluggers just lost his final fight, he passed away
half an hour ago".

All went quiet.

Mick dropped his piece of cake on the floor.

He was a hard man, as tough as they come.
Tears welled up in his eyes and ran down his cheeks and onto the boxing gloves on his lap.
He looked down at them.
He stood up slowly, and hung up the gloves on the peg where Slugger used to hang his hat on.

"One thing Slugs", he said, "You never ever threw in the towel, you were a fighter to the end".
He patted the gloves.

"Goodbye old friend", he said.
"Goodbye."

"Until we meet again".

THE END

Cut out the strong to help the weak