Author Topic: Recent book or follyfoot finds and wins  (Read 22570 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Recent book or follyfoot finds and wins
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:00:04 PM »
Thought I'd start a thread were we can chat about our latest follyfoot finds or other book finds.

I've just found a book called All About Riding by Dorothy Johnson and cost 10p. It's based on a Yorkshire Television Series. The book was published in 1969 so I'm guessing it was on the TV about the same time. Did anyone see the series?

The book has an introductin by the great show jumper David Broome. 8-)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Recent book or follyfoot finds and wins
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
Just had a fantastic few days in Hay- on-Wye known as "the town of books". They're not kidding! I've never seen so many books in one place with over 30 bookshops  :o

I didn't find many follyfoot books, just the ubiquitous piccolo paperbacks of "follyfoot" and "dora at follyfoot" which seem to be everywhere. And a couple of follyfoot albums which I've already got  ::)

But I did get a nice 1st edition hardback of Joyce Stranger's "Breed of Giants" which is a story about a chap who breeds shire horses. Steve Hodson has done an audio book of this story.  :)

Offline mjmdvm

• Cross Country Rider
  • A fan from long ago
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Just had a fantastic few days in Hay- on-Wye known as "the town of books". They're not kidding! I've never seen so many books in one place with over 30 bookshops  :o

I didn't find many follyfoot books, just the ubiquitous piccolo paperbacks of "follyfoot" and "dora at follyfoot" which seem to be everywhere. And a couple of follyfoot albums which I've already got  ::)

But I did get a nice 1st edition hardback of Joyce Stranger's "Breed of Giants" which is a story about a chap who breeds shire horses. Steve Hodson has done an audio book of this story.  :)

Being able to go to places like this is one thing I miss about living in the UK. We just don't have it here.  I spent my first year of college in Arundel and loved going to the flea markets and antique shops. I found several old equestrian and country prints there, but nothing Follyfoot. That had to wait until the birth of that world wide treasure trove: eBay!
MJM

Riding:  The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.  ~Author Unknown

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
Purchased in a Boot Fair at Folkestone this weekend..

"Q - The Biography of Desond Llewelyn" by Sandy Hernu (published 1999, SB Publications).

I paid 50p for this book.

As you may expect from the title, it's mostly about "Q" and includes a full lst of all the amazing gadgets he supplied for Bond in each film. But there are several mentions of FF. There is a nice bit about DL being on holiday in Italy and being approached by a Yorkshireman in the ruins of Pompeii, who said "Eh, lad, aren't you the Colonel in Follyfoot, can you give y'autograph, please?"

It states that DL rented a cottage in Sicklinghall during filming. There is also reference to the 1995 "This is Your Life" TV appearance.

Haven't read it cover-to-cover yet but DL appears to have been very well cast in FF - as we all know!   :)

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »
What an excellent find Rob! And for 50p too  :) Love the Yorkshireman in Pompeii quote  ;D

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »

A good find, Rob...sure to make excellent reading, with or without the FF connection, but of course, FF would make it more interesting... ::)

Sue
 :)

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »
Won this on ebay recently. Haven't seen this version before. Do you think the couple on the front are supposed to be Steve and Dora?  :o  ;D

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »

Good Grief :o......not a very flattering illustration! 

Looks like 'Steve' is going to feed the carrots to 'Dora'! :-? ;D

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
Perhaps it's Chip feeding carrots to Wendy?

I can see a poll on "Worst Monica Dickens book cover" coming!

>1<

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
I'm speechless!   :-X

(And that takes some doing.   ::))

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
Rob an excellent idea for a poll....the above version is definately a contender!

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 06:52:40 AM »
 >41<

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
I've just got a Black Beauty audio tape read by Christian Rodska. He sounds so posh! Definately not Ron!  :D

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
I've just got a Black Beauty audio tape read by Christian Rodska. He sounds so posh! Definately not Ron!  :D

I found this too... in a charity shop in Newquay.  Haven't listened to it yet though.   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 06:57:45 AM »
Well done! If you're not into the Black Beauty story you might find it hard going  ;)  but he does narrate it extremely well.

Did you find anything else? I had visions of you rumaging about in all the charity shops in Cornwall  :D