Author Topic: Chat about Follyfoot Remembered  (Read 33373 times)

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Chat about Follyfoot Remembered
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
I'm definately buying another copy!

I don’t think I’d like to have put my foot in that trap! I agree that is a lovely one of Ron, I like seeing him on horseback as he didn’t ride as much as the others. I think it was a shame they cut out the scenes where he rode Tonto in a western saddle trying to drum up business for Mr Plum. I would have loved to have seen that!

Oh yes I also like that photo of Gillian on Ron’s bike.  8)

I do like the photo of The Squire in his hunting gear on page 28. And a fab one of the settlers on page 14, check out those enormous flares!  :D

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:49 AM »
I don't know if anyone agrees but I think I prefer the final scene as originally scripted.  It feels less harsh somehow.  Probably because Dora faces Steve when she agrees he can stay. 

Pen.  :-* :-*
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
I don't know if anyone agrees but I think I prefer the final scene as originally scripted.  It feels less harsh somehow.  Probably because Dora faces Steve when she agrees he can stay. 

Pen.  :-* :-*

Yes, Pen.  I agree, and I think it makes more sense. 

On the original script, Hazel comes over to Dora when Steve takes the horses and Dora is actually saying to her "Don't ever grow up."  Then she leans on the tree and says the final words about the Queen in Australia.  On the actual take, of course, Hazel stays well in the background so Dora is talking to herself!  I've always thought that a bit odd.

I'm not sure why it was changed really.  >48<

Someone's got to care

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »

I'm not sure why it was changed really.  >48<

I suppose we just have to blame the lovely Mr. Hemmings.  Directorial whims. 

Pen.  >47<
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
I suppose we just have to blame the lovely Mr. Hemmings.  Directorial whims. 

Pen.  >47<

Hmmm, a strange decision by him though.   ???

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
On the actual take, of course, Hazel stays well in the background so Dora is talking to herself!  I've always thought that a bit odd.

Me too!  ???

Offline leveller173

• New Rider
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Got my (signed by Jane) copy today, personally delivered, and I have to say that my favourite photo is the third one on p 16.... (well, I did marry her!!)   :D

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »
I have to say that my favourite photo is the third one on p 16....

;D  ;D  Well, thank goodness for that then!   ;D

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
Got my (signed by Jane) copy today, personally delivered, and I have to say that my favourite photo is the third one on p 16.... (well, I did marry her!!)   :D

;D

Offline drakula

• Head Groom
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
Yes, it's a great book!

What is slightly unusual about this, is that it is a 'making of' book written from a very personal perspective.  A more general book might have included more detail with regards facts and figures, but this is a truly unique personal account and it reads very much like a journey.

What occurs to me is that Jane Royston's story, in some way, mirrors that of Dora.  A young girl who loves horses, who has a secret place which eventually becomes her home.  A true life docu-drama, to use the modern parlance, could be made out of this!!  I was genuinely surprised and amazed to discover how Jane's derelict farm became Follyfoot - this must have been a dream come true! 

To say that it is packed with amazing photos and anecdotes would be an understatement.  Believe me, it's worth the £14.99 just for the photos!   The writing style is informal and chatty and I do like the way that Jane can attribute very revealing and often amusing stories very specifically to certain episodes.  I learned a lot from reading this book and was constantly finding myself thinking "Blimey...I never knew that!"   For example, James Bolam originally suggested the idea to YTV, I assume in the 1960s?  An obscure little nugget of info there to start with!!!

Buy the book and it will provide many hours of interesting and enjoyable reading.  The design is good, the layout clear and uncluttered and I love the recent (albeit short) interviews with the surviving stars.

Just two questions:

1) Can we see the script for the unmade film?

2) Does the footage for the unaired pilot episode still exist?

A great book.  I can happily give it a big  >94<  !!!!  CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
Any chance of seeing the pic on the page 84....  ::)
Anne

Not long to wait now Anne!   ::)  >21<

Someone's got to care

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
Ok Loopy you are not helping my travel fever AT ALL now!  ;D  I am just about to pack Pirre to my car, will drive her to her babysitter...  >11<   >82<
Anne

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
Ok Loopy you are not helping my travel fever AT ALL now!  ;D  I am just about to pack Pirre to my car, will drive her to her babysitter...  >11<   >82<
Anne

:D  Give Pirre a cuddle from me - see you very soon Anne.   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »
I haven't seen the book out in the shops yet?  With all the radio and tv coverage will people be able to get hold of one if they want one?   >48<

Someone's got to care

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone asked Jane or Ray how the book was selling so far? I know it was being sold on amazon as well as the dedicated site.  I must say that amazon is the first place I look for books these days and not in the high street bookshops.