Author Topic: Updates on visiting "Follyfoot Farm" location  (Read 13944 times)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Updates on visiting "Follyfoot Farm" location
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
Loopy,

Is there still a wall between "Steve's barn" and "the Farmhouse" or do they both share a communal "yard/garden" with the entire redeveloped site being surrounded by a single wall?

pete2013

Hmm, I think it's communal with a new wall around everything... but, as Suzy says, Hollinhare will probably know for sure.   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Thank you both.

I posed the question only because it just struck me as being an unusual arrangement - to develop two separate properties so they are surrounded by a single wall (ignoring modern "gated communities/developments" and assuming "Steve's barn" is owned rather than rented by the occupier).

...Hollinhare?...or anyone else who knows?...

pete2013

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
... assuming "Steve's barn" is owned rather than rented by the occupier).

I wonder if it's for friends and family to stay in?   >48<

Someone's got to care

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
...that - or if "Steve's barn" is let to a tenant - would be consistent with what we observe and explain why it is still known as Hollin Hall rather than having an address, distinct from the main house.  Hmm...

Offline Jean Dawson

• Cross Country Rider
  • Aim for the sky even if you reach the mountain top
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
Mmm, I,d love to be a tenant there. Just imagine saying you lived at the Follyfoot Farm location. >1< >75<
Will you come back.?

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
I wish I'd lived there 40 years ago!  >74< >75< >315< >313< >314<

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »
I wish I'd lived there 40 years ago!  >74< >75< >315< >313< >314<

>1<  Yes, me too!!    >21<   

Someone's got to care

Offline hollinhare

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 12:08:58 AM »
I've just caught up with this, originally when the present owner only owned the lower half of the yard & he redeveloped Steves barn I have a vague recollection that his son was living there. There's no wall between Steves barn & the farmhouse (at least there wasn't at the time of the reunion) & to the best of my knowledge it's all communal now with the external wall & fences.

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Hollinhare,

Thank you for coming to the rescue!

Jean,

I agree it would be nice to live on site in “Steve’s barn”.  I should not be surprised if, at some point in the future, the house is made available as holiday accommodation - it clearly lends itself to such use.

Loopy, Jane
In wishing you had lived in “Steve’s barn” 40 years ago you have clearly not considered the practicalities.  Remember, the accommodation was already occupied, comprised of a single room with very little furniture including one bed.  So, for instance, where would you expect to sleep?

pete2013

Offline Jussi5412

• New Rider
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
Hi everyone!
This thread started with Pete´s questions regarding the buildings at Hollin Hall. They were about the same that I have asked. Now after having read this thread (and others, too)I realize that answers to my questions are mostly here. I have thought this: Why it makes me sad to see that Hollin Hall has been changed from what it was for 40 years ago when Follyfoot was filmed there. Why it makes me sad that there is a new gorgeous farmhouse insted of the old modest (?) one? Why it makes me sad to see that some buildings (barns etc.) does not exist any more? It seems to me that we Follyfoot fans would like all to stay as it was or that they were renoved with a gentle hand preserving as much as possible. - Now there are new owners. They have maybe never seen Follyfoot - I don´t know. They are probably no Follyfoot fans as we are. Hollin Hall is their home and a active farm with cattle (isn´t the cattle around that of the Hollin Hall owners?). The owners have their own ideas and desires.
And we, fans, mourn because so much has been changed. This reminds me of a visit that I made for some 15 years ago to the place where we - me and my family - lived in the 50ies. All those buildings were gone. (They were there still in the early 70ies.) There were penty of new houses, new raods, foreign people. I wanted to flee - as fast as I could. And I did. I had wanted to stay there for a while, see around and have a monet with memories. I couldn´t. I had almost tears in my eyes. After that I have never later made a visit there. - But the new habitants certainly love to live there unaware of my inner feelings. - Probably those new owners of Hollin Hall, too.  - Jussi

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
Very well said Jussi - change is inevitable.   What's bad for some is good for others.   >41<

Someone's got to care

Offline Jussi5412

• New Rider
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »
Thanks Loopy,
change is inevitable, and for a person like me it is almost always painful, sometimes very painful. But the change is everywhere and we live time when changes can happen suddenly, big changes. We people can change things but even without us it happens all time. - Now let´s think about Follyfoot. I mourn because people - new owners have torn down buildings and built new. What, if nobody had made anything? Hollin Hall would be different also in this case from what we see in Follyfoot episodes. It would have happened - by its own. - Let´s think actors and actresses. They have changed from what we see in episodes. Away have passed the Colonel and Slugger. We can see Dora, Steve and Ron. On them we can see the change. We see something familiar but - they look different. And what about us. If we look at a photo taken of us for forty years ago, we were young. Some of us were small children, me - in my teens. Some of us may haven´t even been born. - Forty years is much in everyone´s life.
So what is this? This is life and passing time belongs to it. Passing time is life. - Memories, what we have experienced in life, are something that nobody can take away from us. And what we experience and feel no, it has a value. After a moment it is - it, too - a memory. Getting this this into my head and heart is quite a lesson but I try. - Watching Follyfoot brings me happy moments not only because of the past but even more because of the present. Isn´t this most important because I in every case live here and now and want to be happy?  - Jussi

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
Passing time is life. - Memories, what we have experienced in life, are something that nobody can take away from us. And what we experience and feel no, it has a value. After a moment it is - it, too - a memory. Getting this this into my head and heart is quite a lesson but I try. - Watching Follyfoot brings me happy moments not only because of the past but even more because of the present. Isn´t this most important because I in every case live here and now and want to be happy?  - Jussi

It's so true what you say Jussi - looking back can be wonderful but also it can sometimes be painful.  Memories stay with us forever whether good or bad but for most of us it's the good ones that come to the fore.   :) 

Someone's got to care

Offline Cally

• Carriage Driver
  • Horses and Dogs are my life !
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »
I agree with you Loopy >41<

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »
It's so true what you say Jussi - looking back can be wonderful but also it can sometimes be painful.  Memories stay with us forever whether good or bad but for most of us it's the good ones that come to the fore.   :) 

Totally agree  >41<