Author Topic: Final Episode...Any Update?  (Read 7511 times)

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
Final Episode...Any Update?
« on: January 01, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
Hello,

After receiving the DVD boxed set for Christmas (and virtually over-dosing on it by watching all 39 episodes in rapid succession!) together with Follyfoot Remembered, I have just joined the Forum and wondered if anyone who attended the 40th anniversary took the opportunity to ask Gillian Blake, Steve Hodson or Jane Royston what the final few sentences uttered by Dora in "Walk In The Wood" meant?

Furthermore, in the Follyfoot Remembered interview, Gillian Blake says she has a copy of the original script for the proposed film.  Did any of the attendees/organisers of the anniversary ask about the plot/storyline to this and are there any plans for it to be made available to the Forum?

Apologies if these questions have been incorporated (and answered) in other posts.

Many thanks

pete2013

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: Final Episode...Any Update?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
Hi Pete2013  >33< to the forum

You can read about that last Walk in the Woods scene in This Thread

And I believe Gillian won't be revealing the script if I remember correctly, but I'm sure someone here can elaborate on that a bit more.  :)

Offline MidnightZodiac

• Western Rider
  • In silence they scream.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Hi Pete2013  >33< to the forum

You can read about that last Walk in the Woods scene in This Thread

And I believe Gillian won't be revealing the script if I remember correctly, but I'm sure someone here can elaborate on that a bit more.  :)

Some really good points made on that thread. >41<
"We shape horses, then they shape us, but, we must be what we want our horses to become."

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
Welcome to Follyland Pete2013.   >11<

Gillian wouldn't/couldn't tell us the plot of the film - she said she couldn't remember it very well but she did say that Steve and Dora would never have got together so I don't think it would have been the ending we were all hoping for!   :(

Someone's got to care

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
Thank you very much for your kind welcome!

I did ponder on the meaning of Dora's final sentences - in isolation - before joining the Forum where, I agree, there is lots of interesting discussion.  However, I note there is no real consensus.  I believe that as a group of intelligent, experienced individuals, it shouldn't be difficult for us to “work it out”.  Unexpectedly, it is.

This is why I wondered whether anyone has actually asked any of the Follyfoot cast or production team what Dora's last words meant or what they believed they meant.  A definitive answer would of course be ideal, but, even an answer at the other extreme (such as - “I don’t know”) would be interesting.

It is a shame that there are no plans to make the film script available to the Forum.  Was there any indication whether the script was an early draft or a final version that was just awaiting financial backing?

pete2013

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
I wondered whether anyone has actually asked any of the Follyfoot cast or production team what Dora's last words meant or what they believed they meant

I haven't asked myself. Others may have done though...

You could ask Jane Royston in This Thread if no one comes up with any answers  :)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
Was there any indication whether the script was an early draft or a final version that was just awaiting financial backing?
pete2013

There was no indication but I had the feeling it was the final version.

Someone's got to care

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »
Thank you both!

Jane - yes - I shall go to that thread.

Loopy - this is interesting because if the film script is the final version then it would readily lend itself to production as a radio-play.  The absence of the stunning visuals would be offset by the advantages of lower production costs and - not least - the story could be set at any time after the end of the series.  If the original cast were interested in appearing in their previous roles (Steve Hodson and Christian Rodska already being involved in audio plays) and (ideally) unused photographs from the television series used for marketing, I suspect it could be on its way to being a sensation - with even those who never followed the series tuning-in out of curiosity. 

pete2013

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
Thank you both!

Jane - yes - I shall go to that thread.

Loopy - this is interesting because if the film script is the final version then it would readily lend itself to production as a radio-play.  The absence of the stunning visuals would be offset by the advantages of lower production costs and - not least - the story could be set at any time after the end of the series.  If the original cast were interested in appearing in their previous roles (Steve Hodson and Christian Rodska already being involved in audio plays) and (ideally) unused photographs from the television series used for marketing, I suspect it could be on its way to being a sensation - with even those who never followed the series tuning-in out of curiosity. 

pete2013

I can imagine a Follyfoot play coming across exceptionally well on the medium of radio.  :) It might be worth while finding out if anyone connected with production just might be interested in producing a Follyfoot play.  No idea how we would go about it tho.  :(

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:30 AM »
Marie,

I agree that it would very quickly require someone with experience in the industry and the particular medium even if the "blue touch paper" was lit by another because what may appear to the uninitiated as a "simpler" project must still be full of its own organisational and technical complexities.

I should like to extend my apologies to members of the Forum; after making my previous post I noticed the suggestion of a radio play has already been raised!

...but it isn't a bad idea, is it?

pete2013

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:08:22 PM »
I should like to extend my apologies to members of the Forum; after making my previous post I noticed the suggestion of a radio play has already been raised!

...but it isn't a bad idea, is it?

No problems Pete2013, feel free to ask. We're always happy to help if we can.  :)

I think it's a great idea  :) Just wish I knew how to go about it....

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
I know I'm being a bit of a 'party pooper' here but although Follyfoot is important to us, to the original actors it is just a small part of their long and varied careers and was also such a long time ago.  I'm not saying they wouldn't do it, just that maybe too much time has passed now. 

I suppose a new cast could be found but firstly, there would have to be permission for the TV/Film script to be altered into a radio play (which is quite different) and then somebody would have to re-write it... and then it would have to be passed by the BBC before they even started casting and recording it.

I can't see it happening myself..... but you never know!!   

Someone's got to care

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
I agree…but consider this…

What the members of this forum (and, I suspect many who are not/still-to-be members) are really admiring is the creation (as far as I can ascertain) of Tony Essex.  I believe that if Cobbler’s Dream had been made in place of what we know as Follyfoot then this forum, if it existed, would comprise different members. 

Tony Essex’s vision seems to have dominated all aspects of the production including script writing and getting his brother to write the title song - he seems to have known what he wanted.  Had it been possible I would not be surprised if he would have chosen to direct, construct the sets, play all the parts and train the horses himself!  This of course was not possible so it is an even greater tribute to the man that he was able to choose those he knew could deliver what he wanted and ensured they did so.  The resulting sets, performances, and cinematography delivered in response to what was demanded means inevitably that the series is in turn just as much a tribute to all the cast, crew and production team.

This is why his film script is important – it is what Tony Essex envisioned of the next part of the story – however happy, tragic or mundane it may be. 

It would be wonderful if as many of the original cast as possible would take on their previous roles in a radio play because, in addition to the nostalgic dimension, their renditions of the characters were their own interpretations of Tony Essex’s storyline and it is really this aspect of the series that has engaged the audience.  However, if this were not possible then a radio play version of the script neatly circumvents the problem of different actors playing the roles.  Listeners would still be able to imagine the original cast playing the parts.  The actors would of course receive the usual credits but the marketing for the play would be able to make use of pictures of the original cast – useful to capitalise on an existing fan base and increase the chances of commercial viability.

The point that the series was long ago and it was essentially a job of work to each member of the cast is well made.  However, whether they love or hate what the series did for their careers (and I do not underestimate the consequences early success can have upon those wanting to develop their careers – particularly if it is in another direction) I cannot believe that anyone involved does not feel at least some pride in being associated with both a popular success and technically acclaimed production.

Sadly, time is not on Follyfoot admirers’ side.  At some point, the original cast will not be able to take part, those unique insights into the storyline that could enrich areas of the script will become fewer and as the popularity of the series begins to drift, the significance of the film script will in turn fade.

pete2013

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »
I cannot believe that anyone involved does not feel at least some pride in being associated with both a popular success and technically acclaimed production.

Oh, I'm sure they do Pete   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:55 AM »
and as the popularity of the series begins to drift,

Hopefully this forum and Louise's website will help keep the series alive and kicking in people's minds  :)