Author Topic: Sabrina's visit to Follyfoot  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Sabrina's visit to Follyfoot
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
Hi all,
Made the pilgrimage yesterday on a lovely if slightly cloudy summer's day. My navigator made, ahem, an error and  directed me to Church Lane Collingham instead of Church Lane Harewood. I wondered why I couldn't find the village hall!  ;D But as I turned the car at the end of the lane I noticed one rather lovely detached house is called Beck House  :). I wonder if it was the inspiration for Lord Beck...?

Anyway, we found the right Church Lane five minutes later and peeked through into the Village Hall where a ballet class was in progress.

So... Onto Follyfoot. Mr Sabrina thought New Laithe Farm was the place as it looked rather like what he had seen in the series and it does appear to be from the same vintage. Sadly I had to dissuade him and we followed two riders who had their horses at New Laithe down the hill.

Such a thrill knowing that we were walking the same ground as Steve and Gillian had walked! It really is a gorgeous location, and with all the rain lately is stunningly green.

As we walked around the back of the house I saw an ominous pile of stone rubble... When we got further round I could only see one barn, the main barn. So sad news, I believe the second barn which was in such disrepair has gone!  >47< >47<

Walking around the woods they were all fenced off... No access to the second lake!

We met a man walking his dog who turned out to be the owner of Hollin Hall. He's very nice despite all the alterations he has done to the place and works in the same industry as Mr Sabrina. They got talking, it was all very nice and once he'd turned to continue his walk and we'd headed back towards the house I realized I hadn't asked about the barn! Total numpty.  >:(

Will post pics when I can so you can check out the barn situation. I'm using my iPad right now and it won't let me do attachments >:(
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Re: Sabrina's visit to Follyfoot
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
And here are some pics... Around the back of the house, the lake - still with the pontoons, was imagining Steve and Dora there! - and the existing barn
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
More pics - the pile of rubble which I think may be the old barn  >47< >47<  and more of the house, back and front
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
And finally...
Aside from the hideous high vis vest... this could be some friends of Steve and Dora riding down the hill to Follyfoot. These two women had their horses stabled at New Laithe Farm. One was a gorgeous Irish cob. We all walked down the hill together  :)
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
Glad you got to see some of the Follyfoot farm buildings, Sabrina, before they all become unrecognisable. I suppose it was remarkable that they had lasted 40 years as ruins and fans could still enter them, albeit at their own risk. Great to see the pics and have an idea of today's scene there.

To complete the perfect tour of UK and Paris all you need to do now is meet Steve!!!! ;D ;D

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
Your photos of the farm are the very latest Sabrina! Glad you got there in the end, and witnessed the place of dreams made a reality!

I note the stones put to one side in one of your photos......I assume a future main barn could be re-built one day >48<

Maybe that is wishfull thinking on my part but yes alas the farm as we all once knew, has sadly dissapeared. What makes it more sad is when the present owners likewise depart, then their monument will be a lasting folly.

It will be amazing for you once you get back home!  :) 

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
Thank you for sharing your walk and the pics, i am always thrilled to see new recent pics and how's the holy land doing. it's a bit bittersweet to see the place changed, isn't it? But amazing and lovely at the same time! And nice to know there are still horses around the farm  ;) So they have barred the second lake too, that's a shame. 

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
I'm so glad you made it to Hollin Hall at last Sabrina and you had good weather  8) >116<

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
You've trod the sacred earth Sabrina!  >21<  I'm so excited that you've finally made it to Follyfoot - it's still a very special place in our hearts whatever they do to it. 

I am very sad that Harewood have fenced off the hidden lake though - there's such an amazing atmosphere there but thank goodness they aren't touching the big lake which looks as lovely as ever.

Someone's got to care

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »
Yes sadly the only thing recognizable is the barn left standing. :( Otherwise it's hard to believe it's Follyfoot. >47< But still, it was a thrill I'll treasure forever treading on the soil there. 39 years' wait... Bliss to get there!
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
Good to hear you finally made it Sabrina.  I'm sure it was worth the wait.  There is a special atmosphere there, and strangely the sun has always shone for me too whenever I've visited.   >128< >94<
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline timb9095

• Dressage Rider
  • Its too hot for stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Hi Sabrina

Glad you made it at last!!!

Is the second lake completely inaccessible because there was only a wooden fence around it when I went
to visit.

Regards

Tim

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
Hi Tim
Oh, it's a widish mesh fence now, with no gate that we could find without completely circumnavigating the woods and Mr Sabrina wasn't up for that! If it was only wood we would have gleefully trespassed! ;D
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
There was a stile. Has that gone too?  :(

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »
Lovely pics, Sabrina, and glad you made it.   :) I  live in Liverpool, which is only "down the road" from Yorkshire's Follyfoot (compared to the distance between Yorkshire and Sydney!) and still haven't got there yet...  :-[