Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 12287 times)

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
Quick Question
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
For fic purposes, can anyone tell me how Steve's Dad died? Thanks!  :)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
I'm not sure we were ever told.  Just that he died so you can have a free rein Marie.  He was a miner so perhaps a disaster in the mine? 

Someone's got to care

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:19:23 AM »
Had to check this one, in A day in the sun aunt Millie just says "when Steve's dad was killed", so might have been an accident. Can't remember was anything mentioned in another episode perhaps?   >48<

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »
Can't remember was anything mentioned in another episode perhaps?

I don't remember anything else said other than he was killed  >48<

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
I always had the feeling it was a pit accident, but I don't think they specified.

Drat! Another reason to have to watch the early episodes again!!   ;D
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline come on

• Stable Hand
  • Silly Hand Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I think in THE PRIZE, Steve tells Wendy he is a miner's son, and his father was killed when he was a kid. Again no mention how.
come on, race you back to Follyfoot.

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »
Perhaps Kathy smothered him with a pillow one night so she could get her hands on his wallet and have a girls' night out?

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
Perhaps Kathy smothered him with a pillow one night so she could get her hands on his wallet and have a girls' night out?

;D 

I always have it in mind (if I ever get round to writing another story  >48<) that Kathy went off the rails after her husband died.  That she never recovered because they were so in love.  Steve suffered because he was so much like his dad that she just couldn't bear to look at him so she gave him up.  Poor Kathy needed help that didn't come - from her mother (Steve's gran) or her sister, Millie.  Just my own thoughts you understand....

Someone's got to care

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »
You've got quite a good point there, Loopy.
 :)

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »

:o ;D

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:27 AM »

;D 

I always have it in mind (if I ever get round to writing another story  >48<) that Kathy went off the rails after her husband died.  That she never recovered because they were so in love.  Steve suffered because he was so much like his dad that she just couldn't bear to look at him so she gave him up.  Poor Kathy needed help that didn't come - from her mother (Steve's gran) or her sister, Millie.  Just my own thoughts you understand....

Now that would be a good story  :)

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »
Went into pieces, and nobody cared... said Steve. She was another lost soul in the gallery. Come on Loopy, get your pen out  :)

Offline Pen.

• Global Moderator
  • Steve 4 eva!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
It's funny but I always had the feeling Steve's Gran might have been his Dad's Mum, I suppose because she and Millie are quite disparaging about his Mum.  But then there would have been no reason for them to have heard from Kathy if that had been the case.  I'm sure Millie says Kathy went to pieces after Steve's Dad died which does suggest she couldn't cope without him or his support.

I was re-reading Cobblers Dream recently and was surprised to find that the whole of that scene from "Day in the Sun" is there, almost word for word in places.  I'd completely forgotten. In that version the Aunt who looks after Paul's Gran is actually her sister-in-law, so Paul's great aunt.  They are Paul's mother's family as far as I can tell.  Certainly she has taken Paul back and forth to them during his childhood.  The history of Paul's father is a bit less clear.  He says his Mum told him his Dad was killed in an accident at the steel works when Paul was about two but that his Gran later let slip that he had walked out on them and that she had lived for years, looking over her shoulder for a "living ghost".
Rainbow chasers of the world unite!

Offline FollyFootfan1689

• Show Jumping Champion
  • 2nd Generation Follyfooter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »
Very interesting points everyone and Loopy would love to read a story on it, also Rob... ;D you could be right about Kathy!  ;D

Thanks Loopy for letting me borrow the caps!

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
I was re-reading Cobblers Dream recently and was surprised to find that the whole of that scene from "Day in the Sun" is there, almost word for word in places. 

Interesting comparison Pen.   :)

Someone's got to care