Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 50750 times)

Offline Motormouse

• Head Groom
Re: Where is this?
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
No 35. This is me riding up the same bit of road that Steve rode Ron's motorbike to return to Follyfoot from the point to point in the episode Shadow.

Offline Motormouse

• Head Groom
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
No 36. This the the lay-by that Ron and Lewis stopped in when Ron's bike broke down, and the same bit where Steve turned to ride cross the field to to return to follyfoot, episode Shadow.

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
Motormouse,

Thanks for posting your photos - it's very interesting to see the locations as they are today.

Two questions:

1) Photo no. 24 - is it possible to climb down to the stream below the bridge or is the undergrowth too dense?

2) Photo no. 36 - were you able to ascertain whether it is actually possible to ride across the field to Hollin Hall/Follyfoot from here?

pete2013

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2013, 05:56:54 AM »
 >366< Motormouse they are lovely photos.  :) Great to see you riding the same bit of road as Ron  8)

Offline Motormouse

• Head Groom
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »
Pete it is possible to get to the stream to take a photo but you would be going of the foot path and you would not see much of the bridge as it is so overgrown so I did not bother to take a photo, and no you could not ride to Hollin Hall across the fields at that point, 1, because it is a framers field and there is no way out of the field, although you would be going in the right direction.

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
Great photos Motormouse   8) I like the 'Ron' motorbike photo especially  >41<

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Motormouse,

Many thanks for your reply.

1)  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the banks of the stream flowing beneath the bridge are overgrown after all this time; however, thinking back to the Dora and Clem Barratt scene (The Four Legged Hat), I wonder if this is one of the few locations that can best be photographed in Autumn/early Spring...hmm...

2)  It is strangely reassuring to know that Steve was riding Ron's bike in the right direction and that, 40 years ago, he could actually have been filmed riding to Follyfoot...I suppose it just seems more authentic!

By the way, the photographs are very good and just what those members who cannot visit the locations need!

pete2013

Offline Motormouse

• Head Groom
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »
Thanks Pete, you have to expect that the undergrowth will have grown quite a bit being as the photos were taken late June, and the filming for Follyfoot according to Jane started early April, so sometimes it can be quite hard to know what month it was filmed in, also in the episode Shadow when Ron dumps his bike against the hedge after it breaks down, which is opposite the lay-by and hops over the gate to walk to Follyfoot that is in the wrong direction, but as most people in 1971 did not know the film location of Follyfoot no one would have been the wiser, the last thing they would want is lots of people turning up at the Follyfoot film location, that’s what happend with Emmerdale, that is why the Emmerdale village was rebuilt on the Harewood Estate, same reason Eastenders and Holby are filmed on a closed set at the BBC Borehamwood.

Offline mortimer

• New Rider
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
As most people in 1971 did not know the film location of Follyfoot no one would have been the wiser, the last thing they would want is lots of people turning up at the Follyfoot film location, that’s what happend with Emmerdale, that is why the Emmerdale village was rebuilt on the Harewood Estate, same reason Eastenders and Holby are filmed on a closed set at the BBC Borehamwood.
I've seen the disruption and the crowds that thronged to watch the filming of the Inspector Lewis series in Oxford. OK, so I was one of The Public who went to watch, but I took great care to keep out of shot and to be aware of not wanting to make life difficult for the crew. The "shepherding of the public" work done by the assistant directors is not trivial, though even they are not proof against courier vans which decide to park and take their lunch break right in shot: that required an AD to have a quiet word with a nearby policeman who threatened to book the driver for parking on a double yellow line if he didn't move.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
... that required an AD to have a quiet word with a nearby policeman who threatened to book the driver for parking on a double yellow line if he didn't move.

You always get one Mortimer!   ;D

Someone's got to care

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »
Motormouse  >11< Not sure about photo 23 where that is. Was any filming done at that point do you know?

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Having looked keenly at Motormouse's photos, I'm eager to test "my bearings" and have a go at this...

Photo 23 is taken from the other side of the row of trees seen in photo 17 which is the view at the end of "Shadow" where Dora gallops back to Follyfoot and (I think) jumps the horizontally growing tree before approaching the camera and then turning toward the Farm just before the theme tune and end credits cut in.  Photos 19 and 20 show that line of trees from the side.

As for filming, I think there may be a shot from the vantage point of photo 23, possibly where Dora is putting Shadow through his paces early in the morning when it is still dark - but I may stand to be corrected on this.

pete2013

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
I see what you mean Pete, with the tree on it's side in both pics. Right I'm going to watch the end of Shadow now  >41<  >107<

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
photo 17 which is the view at the end of "Shadow" where Dora gallops back to Follyfoot and (I think) jumps the horizontally growing tree before approaching the camera and then turning toward the Farm just before the theme tune and end credits cut in.

I've got my bearings now (I think!) having watched Shadow again. It looks to me like Dora doesn't jump the horizontal tree but another one further to the right of it?  >48<

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline pete2013

• Dressage Rider
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Yes you are right...the "horizontal" tree in photo 17 is what the tree directly behind Dora in your screen-shot looks like today.  Dora actually jumps something similar to the right - out of view in Motormouse's series of photos.

In fact Hollinhare in her "Mammoth Follywalk" does show the shot from the vantage point of photo 23 and also the trees in photo 17 as they were in 2008.

pete2013