Author Topic: Hints and tips for FF farm visits  (Read 6002 times)

Offline smilex

• New Rider
  • Smile
Hints and tips for FF farm visits
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
I'm planning a visit to the farm in October. Of course there's accurate information on the fansite about where to find it and how to approach it (thank you Simon for sharing this).

But are there any other things visitors should be aware of? As I understood from several posts the footpaths around the farm are public. But are there any gates that could be locked, or permits needed to walk the paths or the area?

Offline folly3

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
Re: Hints and tips for FF farm visits
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 03:38:15 PM »
Hi Smilex,
I hope you get nice weather for your visit in yorkshire! But remember FF is a "cold spot".Therefor don`t forget to take warm clothes, raincoats and warm socks and wellies with you. Take a lot of films with you to make lots of photos so that you can report later and show us nice pictures.
Greetings, folly3.

Offline smilex

• New Rider
  • Smile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
That's quite a checklist, thanks Folly3!

The date for the trip is already fixed, so I'll have to take the weather as it is. I'm in doubt whether to take moving or still pictures. Now this is a quite static subject, it don´t expect it to move about when I change from video to photo camera, so I'll take both with me. But if the weather´s really bad I´ll stick to making photographs.

Of course I´ll share the footage (if any) and photo´s! And make a report  8-) .

Regards

Offline smilex

• New Rider
  • Smile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
Been there! And I was glad to wear my wellies...

On the 16th of October, I visited Hollin Hall, together with my two sons. At noon we arrived at the A659 (Harewood Avenue). I parked the car at the junction to the New Laithe Farm. The weather was almost perfect. Apart from some clouds the sky was very clear, causing the sunlight to be bright white. Unfortunately there was too much wind for making a steady video. We walked down to New Laithe Farm. From there Hollin Hall was visible, being about 700 metres away and 30 metres below, beautifully backlit by the cool sunlight.

On approaching and levelling with the farm, a "lightning tree" became apparent, silhouetted against the sky. This one had got leaves on the lower branches. It seemed bigger then the lightning tree from 35 years ago and I doubt if it is the same. If it is, it must have grown and most certainly have been relocated. I could not find the original gate and farm house. I think the latter has been replaced by the new building completely.

We walked around the place, then further down south along the lakeside and toward the woods and the small pond. This is a fenced area but it is easily accessible from the north. This treasure has been conserved very well and it looked as if filming the episodes was done only yesterday.

From that point we crossed the field towards the New Laithe Farm again, passing some very curious bulls, apparently not used to seeing Dutch people at such a close range.

Altogether we have spent more than two hours walking, looking, making pictures and also shooting some folly footage. I must say it was a very special and great experience, well worth the driving (started from Ipswitch in the morning). I uploaded the photos to my smilex server, you can view them by following this link:

http://www.smilex.nl/fotoshow/albumindex.php?album=hollinhall

Click on a thumbnail to get a larger picture and click on the larger picture to get a full size picture you can download. You can also download by right-clicking on the larger picture and choose save target from the menu.

I will publish the video material later on, I first have to cut out the useless parts. If anything remains it will be available for viewing and downloading as well.

Regards,
René, Bas, Jeroen

Offline Alfy Door

• Carriage Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »
Excellent story and photos René.

Thanks for posting them :).

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:03:25 AM »
Hi René,
Lovely, lovely photos. The light is so soft and autumnal....you can almost feel the squelchy mud underfoot  ;). You are very right about the lake; it is as if nothing has changed in 35 years. It's good to see there's still a Lightning Tree there, even if it's not the same one.

Thanks so much for sharing the story of your visit and the pics. I wonder if the cattle are still talking about the Dutch family as they chew their cud?  :D
Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing the great photos, Rene. .  Looks like you certainly had a beautiful autumnal day. A special experience for you, I'm sure.

What did your sons think of the trip?

best regards
Sue
 :)

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
Bedankt René

It's so good to see these autumn photos of Follyfoot. It has given me the urge to visit soon. :)

I was interested to see the 'lightening tree' but suggest it may be a condition that sometimes affects English Oak trees. The crown becomes defoliated and is called stag-headed condition. I can't be sure of your tree, but it is an oak. Without seeing it closer like you did maybe I'm wrong and it had been stuck by lightening.

Again, thanks for sharing the great photos.

dave

Offline timb9095

• Dressage Rider
  • Its too hot for stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing your pictures Rene.

Kind regards

Timb

Offline folly3

• Dressage Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »
Thank you, Rene, for posting the FFfarm visit pictures, as promised! It must have been lovely there, except of the bulls, I wouldn`t have been eager to meet them.
Greetings, Folly3.

Offline smilex

• New Rider
  • Smile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
Thank you all so much for your enthousiastic feedback!

You won't believe it but my sons liked it too, especially the oldest one. When we arrived, we all were eager to go straight to the farm. I suggested to go to Harewood first to have some lunch, but both boys protested. Follyfoot first! But, back on the ferry, they both admitted that the best day of this trip to the UK was the day we visited Lego Land...  ;)

I am still impressed by the visit, I hope I can express some of that in the video.

Best regards

Offline timb9095

• Dressage Rider
  • Its too hot for stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
The top picture looks like a location used in 'One White Foot Charley'

Regards

Timb

PS  Lovely pics. Many thanks for posting

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:42:29 PM »
Gorgeous pics, "Sickling Hall Farm" doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?  ;)
Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline larue

• Stable Hand
  • greetings earthlings...take me to your larder
Re: Sicklinghall Farm?
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 07:11:21 AM »
sadly i did not get to do much sightseeing. i can't believe it was almost exactly 3 years ago. i went on a grey and drizzly weekend. just the farm and then lunch in weatherby. maybe one day i'll go again. but in summertime.

regards larue :(
'eggs is good for you, eggs is'

Offline smilex

• New Rider
  • Smile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
I realize how lucky I was having such nice weather on the 16th. However... the drizzle and wet roads and buildings create a charming atmosphere, as a Dutch guy I would refer to as "English". We often get the same weather half a day later here, but the effect is not the same.

I will watch the episode again to spot any changes since 1972. But first of all watch series 3, of course.

Best regards!