Author Topic: FF locations in Leeds on Google Street View and in November 2010  (Read 23468 times)

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
Re: FF locations in Leeds on Google Street View and in November 2010
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:47 PM »
Brilliant detective work Rob.   >41<   Shame about the gravestone as it was indeed very distinctive.  Thanks for posting these.   :)

Someone's got to care

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
I used my GPS to find North-West Road. I'm afraid first impressions were not great - it was hard to imagine Ron riding his motorbike along here, past Ford Anglias, terraced houses and gas lamps! Even the road sign is new!

Here's a building that was quite new when "Stryker's Good Deed" was filmed - Holborn Towers in Shay Street:

But Gip's Steps are unchanged - even the handrails are still the same!

I walked up the steps to get the view down North-West Road - those quite large trees have grown in the past 35 years!

And then I just had to get someone to take my photo on the steps. Luckily a stunning black girl, very fashionably dressed, came along. I asked her to take my photo, explaining that one of my favourite TV programmes had been filmed here! She was quite happy to do so. She spoke in a very cultured voice - I wonder where she was going!

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 06:19:49 AM »
Fantastic Rob! It's nice to see Gips steps are still there and unchanged  8)

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
Yes same! Excellent work there Rob. I just hope the local authority doesn't decide to rip the old railings out and replace them in a hurry!  :(

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
A successful treasure hunt, Rob. Useful research for our follyfoot archives.

dave

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
thanks Rob- now i have to look at the dvds again- any excuse will do !!!
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
I thought I'd post another couple of photos of the Lilian Street / Banker Street area - it's unbelievable how much it has changed since "Miss Him When He's Gone" was filmed there:

This is present-day St Matthias street, looking straight at where 20 Lilian Road would have been, with the HSS building on the right. Those who remember the old back-to-back terraced houses that once stood here - I wonder if they miss them now they're gone?

This is what's left of Banker Street, looking towards Kirkstall Road, with the HSS building on the left.

Incidentally I have found out from another website that the Yorkshire TV production "Harry's Game" (filmed in the early 1980s and set in Belfast) was largely shot in this part of Leeds - the dilapidated and derelict terraced houses looked much like Belfast and had the huge advantages of being very close to the YTV Studios and much safer than Northern Ireland! I have never seen this since it was originally on TV - I wonder if any recognisable FF locations can be seen in it?

... and here are the Yorkshire TV studios! Although I thought they were being mothballed, this part of the building at any rate still appears to be in use.

I really enjoyed going around the FF locations, but I did find Leeds a very difficult city to drive around! I've driven in many foreign countries, and around Manhattan, Washington DC and Los Angeles amongst other major world cities - but I think Leeds presented the biggest challenge! Of course, the fog didn't help!
 >63<   :)

Offline dave

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
I agree Rob. Leeds is not driver friendly to the visitor, but neither is Sheffield for that matter. I found it easier in Miami and that was driving on the 'wrong' side of the road ;D

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the great roundtrip to all those FF locations Rob! >11<
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »
Thanks Rob for your great detective work  >41<

Offline Marie_Strawberry

• New Rider
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
Really great work on the location spotting there, just got into watching Follyfoot on DVD from not having seen it since the 70s and was surprised how much Leeds stuff is in there!

One of those locations is just around the corner from me, I must have passed it a million times and never realised.

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
If anyone is interested in more views of FF locations in Leeds, then I would recommend the Leodis website. Here you can find lots of old photographs of the city, some of which are from the FF era or just before.

A great view of Lilian Street (Ed Foley's street) before demolition started:
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2008220_166179&DISPLAY=FULL

Another view of the Foley house and neighbouring properties with the Fine Fare supermarket on the far right (still extant as a tool hire shop)
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200419_88142032&DISPLAY=FULL

And here is Holborn Towers on Shay Street - Gip's Steps would be off to the left somewhere...
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200486_65189761&DISPLAY=FULL

It's a great site to browse through and also to read some of the users' comments - many people seem to have very fond memories of the old back-to-back terrace houses and say how happy they were there...

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 06:27:48 AM »
Wow thanks for the links Rob  >41<  Interesting to read how some people were happy in the back-to-backs. You usually hear how they were slums and hovels and people couldn't wait to get out of them and live in the nice new high rise flats!

Offline skydog01

• New Rider
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »
I was walking past th cemetery with my mum when they were filming the funeral. I was gutted when I found out it was my favourite programme they were filming & I didn't see them :0(

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
I was gutted when I found out it was my favourite programme they were filming & I didn't see them :0(

I would have been too.  >47<

Someone's got to care