Author Topic: New book Dora at Follyfoot out soon  (Read 10930 times)

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Re: New book Dora at Follyfoot out soon
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
They'd have to edit Cobbler's Dream a bit - well, at least change the name of one particular horse!

Wish they could have used the original cover art from the TV show though, especially now it's available on DVD. 

The grey horse on the cover looks a bit nervous or cross; it's his ears. The moonlight is good...obviously a reference to the Moonlight Steeplechase and Grey Lady. I would have preferred pricked ears though  ;)
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33:20 AM »
They'd have to edit Cobbler's Dream a bit - well, at least change the name of one particular horse!

I've not come across any publisher editing that name in the books I've got, even in the 90s version, which is suprising in these days of political correctness  :o

Offline Anne

• Endurance Rider
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »
That's a tricky question, editing books for political correctness...  >48<  They are the artistic creations of their time, and if you start to mess with the content of an author, who draws the line where & what? People have ended in burning piles of books throughout the history. On the other hand I understand some things have changed and become offensive. So...  ???
Anne

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
I agree Anne.  >48< I have a few really old children's books and some of the content would make your hair curl by todays standards  :D But they are of their time, it's interesting to read how things were then and I certainly wouldn't burn them!

Offline kookykaz

• New Rider
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
Thanks . Hadn't thought about it like that - date wise!!  I do hope they will be published..   It would be such a shame if Cobbler's Dream wasnt re-published. I bought it on holiday last year and really enjoyed reading it again after so many years. Would be lovely to have a brand new book though. 

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:43 AM »
I don't believe in editing books either to politically correct them, but it seems publishers are doing that these days - there is a new updated version out of several Famous Five books with 'contemporary' language. Have read the first chapters as ebooks and cringed.

I think the N-word might not make it past the censors though these days.

Hurrah for old-fashioned kids books - hurrah for reading what was then current thinking - and I feel like drinking lashings of ginger beer at the thought!  ;D
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 06:36:31 AM »
Hurrah for old-fashioned kids books - hurrah for reading what was then current thinking - and I feel like drinking lashings of ginger beer at the thought!

;D

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
Good news about The Horses Of Follyfoot, I've just had the following email from Anderson press:- 

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm pleased to be able to tell you that Andersen Press will be publishing a brand new edition of The Horses of Follyfoot in July. I'll be able to send you a cover image and some more information nearer the time, but feel free to let the members of the forum know that it’s coming.

At the moment we don’t have any other Monica Dickens titles scheduled for publication, but that may change in the future.

Fingers crossed Cobblers Dream is eventually republished too.

Offline kookykaz

• New Rider
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »
Thanks so much for finding out about the July publication of The Horses of Follyfoot! Will look forward to it.... My 1st grandchild is due then also - may just have to buy a copy for him/her for future reading!!! (as well as one for me!!) Such a shame if Cobbler's Dream isn't published though... although i do agree about not re-editing someone's work   

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
My pleasure Kookykaz.  :)   A great present for your future grandchild  8)

Offline kookykaz

• New Rider
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Definitely! Got a feeling this baby will know all about Follyfoot somehow....  thanks again for news of the new book..

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
Got a feeling this baby will know all about Follyfoot somehow.... 

Follyfoot fan of the future  >41<   

I gather publishing of Stranger at Follyfoot is very much dependent on how sales go for the first three books.

Let's hope sales are good! 

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Yes I agree , anything that is follyfoot orientated for a new modern audience  :)

Offline kookykaz

• New Rider
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »
I was only 3 when FF began, but it means so much to me,for many different reasons..   Hopefully a new generation will love these special books too...     My daughter,Donna,has said she will definitely buy them for her baby,so its a good start!

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
  Hopefully a new generation will love these special books too...     My daughter,Donna,has said she will definitely buy them for her baby,so its a good start!

>116<  8)