Author Topic: hi everyone  (Read 5583 times)

Offline drakula

• Head Groom
hi everyone
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
I remember watching Follyfoot when it first started in 1971 and, although it wasn't generally the sort of programme that I tended to watch, I was hooked straight away!  Having watched all three series again recently on DVD, I am pleasantly surprised to discover that it is just as good, if not actually better!, than I remember.  It really was like a primetime, grown up programme that just happened to be shown during the children's TV slot.  It puts much of today's television drama to shame.   In 1983, inspired by reading the books, I wrote a synopsis/treatment for a  TV film entitled 'Return to Follyfoot' and sent it off to YTV.  I had high hopes of kickstarting the series again!  They sent it to Monica Dickens, but sadly she did not give it her blessing and it went no further.  A shame, but she was probably quite right in not doing so. 

So, having discovered this forum, I immerse myself once again in the magical and timeless world of Follyfoot.  Hello and, of course, Happy 40th Birthday!!!

Offline Jane

• 3 Day Event Champion
Re: hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
It puts much of today's television drama to shame.

I couldn't agree more  >41<

A warm welcome to you Drakula and I hope you enjoy your visits here re-living the follyfoot magic  :)

Offline loopylin

• Western Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
welcome drakula- i'm sure that members would love to read your filmscript idea!
linda-norfolk dumpling

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Welcome drakula  8)

Interesting idea, Return to Follyfoot.....  :)

Offline Rob

• Western Rider
  • Lightning Tree Fan
    • Rob Sissons
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Drakula!
 :)

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »
Hi Drakula

Glad you found this forum and welcome!    >33< 

Someone's got to care

Offline retep

• Stable Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
Hi Drakula.  :)  Welcome.

You're dead right. (If you'll pardon that expression).  It was a grown-up drama that felt out-of-place on children's TV.
It was multi-layered, with a sub-plot running along in the background.  But you were never quite sure what it was, or what it meant.

Offline Marie

• Cross Country Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
welcome drakula- i'm sure that members would love to read your filmscript idea!

Yes, I certainly would, you could post it on the fanfic forum.  :)  Welcome, nice to meet you.  >33< :)

Offline drakula

• Head Groom
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
Hi everyone, again, and thanks for the messages.

With re. 'Return to Follyfoot'...  I'm afraid that I can remember virtually nothing about the story, such as it was, and am absolutely certain that I haven't got a copy of the manuscript.  It was almost 30 years ago and, sadly, in those pre-computer days, I will have typed it out on an old, possibly manual, typewriter and just sent it off!  I may have made a photocopy or two, but if so, I cannot find them.  I remember that my story had Steve and Dora getting married, as I felt that this was how their relationship would go.  I also remember that Ron had long-since left the farm and become quite 'respectable'.  I wish I could remember the gist of the story, but I can't!  I have a feeling that I also called it "Follyfoot '84" at some point.

Watching the series now I am saddened in a way that the general state of children's television has sunk so low in four decades.  Episodes such as 'Hazel' and many others are extremely powerful and feature themes and performances that you'd not find in current children's programmes and would be hard-pressed to find in even post-watershed dramas these days.  Follyfoot was an extraordinary series, but, of course, at the time we just accepted it as the norm! 

I remember those halcyon days with great affection and Follyfoot will always be a part of them.

Offline Loopy

• Global Moderator
  • Follyfoot - My day in the sun!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
Hi Drakula

Such a shame you can't remember the gist of your story  :( - but never mind, you'll just have to write another one!  >61<  ::)    There are lots of very good fanfics on the forum and on the website and, funnily enough, Dora and Steve seem to get together in most of them!   >75< >74<  ;D 

Someone's got to care

Offline sue

• Western Rider
  • I Love Steve.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »

Hi Drakula,

A warm welcome to the forum from me too!

How interesting that you had the notion to resurrect the series back in the 80s, I think most of us here have had the very same idea at some point over the past 40 years.
Sadly, I believe it's too late now and to be honest think it's nicer left in the past. As Loopy has already mentioned there are some great fanfics here and on Louise's website, that fulfil our teenage fantasies and a few middle aged ones too!!! ::) >45<

"all you are, and all you mean to me"

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
Hi sue

Yes, I dont think Follyfoot will ever be brought back to life now because I am led to believe some of the buildings will be taken down..... :o :(  >47<

Offline breton

• Head Groom
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
Hi sue

Yes, I dont think Follyfoot will ever be brought back to life now because I am led to believe some of the buildings will be taken down..... :o :(  >47<

OH No really ,thats very sad >47<

Offline drakula

• Head Groom
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
I agree that it is now far too late to revive Follyfoot.  For one thing I suspect that today's audience would not really accept it without it being changed so radically (in terms of format and style) as to be virtually unrecognisable as the series it was.  Secondly, with so many of the original cast now either sadly no longer with us or not actively involved in acting, a completely new cast would be needed, which would further distance it from the original.  I'd love to believe that, in the fictional world, Follyfoot Farm still exists, but I guess the sad fact is that in reality it would have probably disappeared many years ago.  But, hey, what do I know...?!!!!

Offline squeakytre

• Show Jumping Champion
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
Well, I have always felt a modern version of Follyfoot could inspire a new generation but it would still need the original characters ie Dora, Steve and Ron to remind the fans of who really were the inspiration behind FF etc! Also, Callie and Hazel would both have to have a more prominant role -to keep an eye the younger actors who would be needed to star in a new version!  :)  Ron would become the new slugger and Dora would be the eccentric female version of the colonel!  :o  ;)