Author Topic: Gillians older work  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
Gillians older work
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:58:56 AM »
Ah, the internet...allows more bits of history to gradually get collated in one place - thankfully!

I just found out another one-off show Gillian did in 1969 which has recently been added to IMDB:

ITV Saturday Night Theatre, Season 2, Episode 12, The Full Cheddar, which aired on 22 November 1969.
Gillian played a character called Carole Shorter; I'm guessing it was a pretty minor role as she is last on the cast list.  Further up the list a little way is Paul Guess  ;).

You can find that info at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0924841/fullcredits#cast
Cheers
Sabrina
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline Squeezynz

• Carriage Driver
  • Follyfoot Forever
    • Squeezynz Fanfiction Archive
Re: Gillians older work
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Great find Sabrina,  thanks for sharing.

cheers

Louise 8-)
"To live would be an awfully big adventure" PP 2003 movie.

Offline Sabrina

• Administrator
  • Follyfoot rules OK!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:37:10 AM »
Hi all,

Seems that Gillian starred in another TV movie in 1980 called The Happy Autumn Fields, with Peter Hammond (Director of Hallelujah, Mary Plum) directing, as part of the BBC Playhouse series. The cast also included the Colonel... oops...Desmond Llewellyn.  

Info here  http://www.citwf.com/film251400.htm. There's not much about it, sadly.

The BFI database has Gillian on it, of course it's mainly FF and there's nothing post 1980, but she had the following roles before FF:
Pamela Cooney in The Ten Commandments: Black Eye on Sunday (1971)
Carole Shorter in Saturday Night Theatre: The Full Cheddar (1969)

You can find this page about Gillian here:
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual/180021?view=credit

Cheers
Sabrina x
Cheers,
Sabrina

Offline larue

• Stable Hand
  • greetings earthlings...take me to your larder
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »
nice find Sabs

thanks for sharing.  :-*
regards larue :(
'eggs is good for you, eggs is'

Offline Peter aka Moggy

• Stable Hand
  • "Storms bring me such joy" (Beck Sian)
    • RAF Chattenden
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:27:54 AM »
http://www.violetbooks.com/REVIEWS/rbadac-ebowen.html

Elizabeth Bowen's "The Happy Autumn Fields"
commentary by rbadac

"The Happy Autumn Fields" is in Bowen's collection The Demon Lover & Other Stories (Jonathan Cape, 1945), which came out in America under the Knopf imprint a year later with the title Ivy Gripped the Steps. The economical course is the easily-available The Complete Short Stories of Elizabeth Bowen which, whether or not it is indeed complete, does contain the contents of this volume. Several are supernatural, & all are excellent.

In the Preface to Ivy, Bowen reveals that these stories have a wartime origin, though none of them is a "war" story. They deal rather with the hallucinatory states experienced by the people who have lived through this period: "The violent destruction of solid things, the explosion of the illusion that prestige, power & permanence attach to bulk & weight, left all of us, equally, heady & disembodied. Walls went down; & we felt, if not knew, each other. We all lived in a state of lucid abnormality."

This theme provides the background against which the various plots of these narratives is displayed; in "The Happy Autumn Fields" we are informed of the cross-currents of a landowner's family, first seen as a walking-party. The younger sons are on the eve of returning to school, the oldest daughter is about to marry, the oldest son is a soldier, & the sisters Sarah & Henrietta share confidences concerning them all.

But these glimpses are soon to be revealed as fugues; Sarah is only Sarah in this world. In another, she is Mary, & her sweetheart Travis is trying to persuade her to abandon the house in which she lives, because the bombs have rendered it unsafe for habitation.

"The unreality of this room & of Travis' presence preyed on her as figments of dreams that one knows to be dreams can do. This environment's being in semi-ruin struck her less than its being some sort of device or trap; & she rejoiced, if anything, in its decrepitude."

Travis finally gets Mary to agree to come with him when he returns in two hours' time, & leaves, taking the box of old letters & photographs Mary inexplicably has chosen as part of what she must salvage from the doomed dwelling. And in that interval Mary re-enters Sarah's world for another brief glimpse of those shadows of things that were, who may in turn gain a glimpse of the shadows of Mary's own world, & be infected by its lucid abnormality.
Peter
"and why oh why can't it stop raining!"

Offline jmorgan

• New Rider
  • I Love Follyfoot
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
She also appeared in the 1969 version of Goodbye Mr Chips starting Peter O’Tool.   I videoed the film once when it was shown on TV and remember her appearing in at least one crowd scene where she faces the camera and swings around.

Jeff

Offline Peter aka Moggy

• Stable Hand
  • "Storms bring me such joy" (Beck Sian)
    • RAF Chattenden
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »
Funny coincidence. My brother was an extra in that film.

Peter
"and why oh why can't it stop raining!"